My thursday - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My thursday

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 04-14-2006, 07:43 AM   #1
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

My thursday

Well my day yesterday went all right untill my Jeep died on me. At first i was just driving out to the beach with friends for afew minutes and i realized at lower RPMs my jeep would knock/vibrate coming from the engine. I was wondering maybe something is wrong with the fuel delivery system. But then on my way to the GFs house my check gauges light comes on then WHAM! the temp gauge goes red hot. A few seconds later on the bridge approaching a sharp turn i lose powersteering, then the engine just shuts off. I make it around the turn and with a quick playing with the throttle and turning the key she starts back up. ( I am only a mile from my GFs house so i just go there) We stop I pop the hood and steam is coming from both sides of the block around the valve cover looking like its coming from the head. My bro on the phone said it sounded like it was a blown HEAD GASKET. And maybe even worse b/c if that is true then it is possible i warped the head. So now i dont get to drive my Jeep for a few days * that is if we get started on it all today*.....

** Sry about it being a long read, but i figured i should tell my story, and see what yal think **

RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 10:57 AM   #2
andrew2516

you drove it when you seen the temp shoot up like that??????????

next time the temp gets high just shut it off.
36" TSL's on RockCrawler rims

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
andrew2516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:38 AM   #3
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From Charleston eh...? Were you on one of the huge bridges when that happened? I would have crapped myself if so... I hate big bridges, haha. The two or three going on 526 around Charleston are about as big as I like to drive over. Id freak if I had to drive over the new bridge replacing the old Cooper River one.

But yeah, the thing to do would have been to stop ASAP. That knocking could have been many things, but chances are something is screwed. Its definatly not a good sign when steam is shooting between the head and block.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 11:46 AM   #4
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew2516
next time the temp gets high just shut it off.
You want to leave it running unless you've lost the fan belt. With it running, the fan and water pump can still cool the engine. If you shut it down, you lose that cooling. Read your owner's manual :
Unread 04-14-2006, 12:00 PM   #5
andrew2516

if the cooling system was working properly wouldn't the engine have been cool to begin with? I don't know about you but I would shut it off. I defanitly would not have driven further and put stress on an already messed up engine.

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 04-14-2006, 12:02 PM   #6
UltimatE
Resident Audio Guru

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgertsch
You want to leave it running unless you've lost the fan belt. With it running, the fan and water pump can still cool the engine. If you shut it down, you lose that cooling. Read your owner's manual :
the only thing with that is if the water pump goes, you have no choice as to shut it down ... so pull over, pop the hood and search for antifreeze. Yes antifreeze - engine off.

White '94 YJ Sport
Black '98 ZJ Laredo - 45x60 Surco Rack - 2" Budget Boost, Addco Front Swaybar

Project (s)Low - A build log.
UltimatE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 12:56 PM   #7
andrew2516

so what you guys are saying is that in his case where there was no antifreeze coming out, he should have left the engine on? I understand that it will cool down if the cooling system is working properly but if it was then why would it overheat so quick?

www.PGHOFFROAD.com
Unread 04-14-2006, 01:51 PM   #8
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Generally speaking, in every single liquid- cooled engine the usual thing to do if you overheat your engine: stop driving, but keep your engine running. In most cases, the cooling system works at least partly -> it has enough "power" to cool down an idling engine. If you're driving, the engine definitely needs more cooling. An engine can overheat in extreme cases even if your cooling system is working properly - although that is not very common. So of course, an overheating engine usually means problems in cooling system, but for as long as you're not getting your engine temp way too high, it won't damage your engine (usually head gasket) immediately. But if you turn off an overherated engine, it is very much possible to blow your head gasket right away - and sometimes even worse.

But yes, that's just generally speaking.. if you're sure your water pump is blown or your head gasket is badly blown, it propably is a pretty good idea to turn off the engine so as to not cause more damage.

edit: yes, I know some say you shouldn't stop if you overheat, but drive nice and easy for awhile. Dunno about that if it's any good - in a way it does make sense (more airflow through radiator, especially if fans aren't working properly), on the other hand not (based on what I said earlier)

edit2:

To the author of this thread: to me it sounds like you at least have a blown head gasket. If you don't know how the check it: first look your dipstick: if there's brownish- greyish stuff on it, it indicates there's water on your oil - usually means a blown head gasket. Second thing to do, check the compression on your cylinders. Easy thing to do, and compression testers aren't too expensive if you don't have one. Although I think you knew that already..

That knocking/ vibration at lower rpms sound more like ignition or fuel problems. It could of course be something worse - like bent connecting rod, bad piston, damaged bearing(s), etc.., but all of those problems would usually be there at any rpm. Hope it's nothing too serious.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

Last edited by Timo_90xj; 04-14-2006 at 02:09 PM..
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #9
stevenaa

The first thing to do is crank on the heat. This will pull an amazing amount of heat from the coolant, assuming there's enough to circulate through the heater core. You'll know cause you won't get hot air if the system is dry. Then stop the vehicle and carefully pop the hood. Keep the heater running to help pull heat from the engine.
stevenaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2006, 11:35 AM   #10
JstSurrender

Cherokees and overheating. I don't miss my cherokee at all...except when taking 3 other people snowboarding. A year or two, I had over heating problems like crazy. Ended up that the threads on the overflow bottle were stripping out, over and over again. I replaced it with an aluminum "bottle" which uses a real radiator cap. That Jeep hasn't had any overheating issues since.
Stock for now...I'm a poor college student
[COLOR=Red]`______
/l ,[____],
l---L 0lllllll0-[/COLOR]
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
[COLOR=Red]Red Jeep Club Member #316 [/COLOR]
JstSurrender is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.