My roof basket build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My roof basket build

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 08-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

My roof basket build

After much research and reading other threads, I decided to finally make a roof basket for my Cherokee. I made a few plans and got pricing from lowes before even buying anything. So far I don't think i've spent over $40. It is just made out of EMT tubing that I bent and screwed together with self-tapping screws.

Testing it up there before I move on.

The sides are aluminum pieces of metal that I cut at 5 inch.

I think it adds a nice look to my Jeep

I will add a few more sides pieces to brace it more, but already it is super sturdy. I was quite surprised at how sturdy it is. I also plan to paint it black soon. This week's forecast is filled with rain, so I have no idea when I will be able to paint it. Eventually I will also have a light rack on the front of it.

img_0012.jpg   img_0017.jpg   img_0021.jpg  
Unread 08-04-2012, 11:59 PM   #2
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome, my xj wants one now! Did you use a tube bender? did you flare one end of the tube to slide it into the other end? Bungees and chain hold it on good?
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
DoctorTim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

do it right and dont use the stock rack as mounting points. I dont imagine that basket will support a lot of weight with it mounted like that

96 XJ, geared, 8.8, 5", 33s, dash
DoctorTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightsixjeep View Post
Looks awesome, my xj wants one now! Did you use a tube bender? did you flare one end of the tube to slide it into the other end? Bungees and chain hold it on good?
Yeah, I just used a tube bender, then I just used emt connectors to hold it together. Very sturdy so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ-Tim View Post
do it right and dont use the stock rack as mounting points. I dont imagine that basket will support a lot of weight with it mounted like that
Using the stock rack is only temporary, I will soon make gutter mounts to hold it. The bungees hold it good for now, but I wouldn't trust too much weight with that.
Unread 08-07-2012, 05:03 PM   #5
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

unfortunately rain won't be letting up until thursday/friday. So I definitely won't be getting it painted but still hope to get it braced some more. Has anyone seen an easy to build gutter mount system? I don't have a welder or anything, just basic tools, and materials I can get at lowes is my best option.
Unread 08-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, FINALLY got around to finishing it up. Primed, then I painted it and I think it looks fantastic. I do not know how long the paint will last since the metal was previously galvanized and I'm not sure if I got all the galvanized material off. I also added a few more bracings in to support it more and now it can easily hold my weight. I still do not know how will bolt it up there as it is still temporarily bolted up.

Unread 08-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
straightsixjeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Looks awesome
straightsixjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #8
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Nice. It looks just like one I built for a Montero I had. BTW, they make primer for galvanized metal/aluminum. I used it and painted my rack with chip resistant wheel paint.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 10:48 AM   #9
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weebur View Post
Nice. It looks just like one I built for a Montero I had. BTW, they make primer for galvanized metal/aluminum. I used it and painted my rack with chip resistant wheel paint.
They have galvanized primer?! darn! I took a couple hours to try to sand as much of the coating off. Oh, well. now I know what to do next time. Thanks for the tip.
Unread 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #10
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry for the long wait for an update. I finally found a permanent mounting solution. I was searching craigslist and I found a Thule roof rack, the gutter mounts with locking cores, and load bars for only $40! Then I got some u-bolts and bolted the basket onto the thule rack. Once I figure out how I want to run my wires into my Jeep, I'll mount some lights up there.

Unread 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #11
mountainjock

1988 XJ Cherokee 

I like the design, looks pretty light! It just sits too high off the roof for my taste. Good job though!
4.0 I6
mountainjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #12
Xanatos
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! Yeah, I was really hoping to get the 5 inch Thule towers, but these were such a great deal I grabbed them. I might keep looking for shorter towers and then sell these ones. Not sure yet. As for the weight, I can easily lift it over my head with one hand. It's quite surprising despite the size of the basket.
Unread 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
HiDefXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Can you give me your address? If you come home one day and it looks like a truck drove up your stairs...........it wasn't me..
They look fun
HiDefXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:18 AM   #14
IrishChef
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Looks great, but how did you fab the cross-members? Did you taper and form them by hand?
Unread 10-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #15
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Roof "basket" sounds funny

I pictured the easter bunny basket strapped to your roof.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basket , home made , rack , roof

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.