My oil guage is acting up and i don't think it's the sending unit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My oil guage is acting up and i don't think it's the sending unit

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
kruucks
2012 JK Wrangler 

My oil guage is acting up and i don't think it's the sending unit

after the engined is warmed up, my oil pressure gauge reads ~38 at idle, but anytime i hit the throttle it shoots up to ~75 or higher. what gives?

it's a 95 auto with part-time 4wd. oil change within the last 2000 miles.

kruucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
MooseMarine
JP'N MTBR

1999 XJ Cherokee 

When you rev the engine your oil pressure should rise. Normal operating psi is 40 at idle and between 40 and 120 when your engine is reved.
|---L '[]lllllll[]'
()_)-()_)--o-)_)
MooseMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
kruucks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMarine View Post
When you rev the engine your oil pressure should rise. Normal operating psi is 40 at idle and between 40 and 120 when your engine is reved.
as high as 120? i want to say that before yesterday it would only get up to about 50 or 55
Unread 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM   #4
firecontrol933

If you're talking about the electric dash guage....... does it stay steady at the higher pressure or does it go back down after a few seconds?

The electrical connection to the sending unit may be loose or even a problem with the sending unit. If you disconnect the plug from the sending unit the guage will max out.

Just replaced a sending unit on one of our jeeps. 96. And found out that there are 3 different sending units. And wouldn't you know it, they store gave me the 2 pin version when I needed the 1 pin. They're NOT interchangeable.
firecontrol933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
kruucks
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecontrol933 View Post
If you're talking about the electric dash guage....... does it stay steady at the higher pressure or does it go back down after a few seconds?

The electrical connection to the sending unit may be loose or even a problem with the sending unit. If you disconnect the plug from the sending unit the guage will max out.

Just replaced a sending unit on one of our jeeps. 96. And found out that there are 3 different sending units. And wouldn't you know it, they store gave me the 2 pin version when I needed the 1 pin. They're NOT interchangeable.
the gauge responds directly to RPMs/throttle. it spikes when i'm on the gas, then immediately goes to normal when i let off
Unread 04-29-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My '87 just started doing the same thing.... I bet the swine flu has something to do with it.

Seriously though, I don't get any warm & fuzzies from seeing the oil pressure show close to 80.
Unread 04-29-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
cbordea
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you might have already done this but check your oil level to make sure someone didn't add to much oil or you are getting coolant in there or something to increase your oil volume.

I know most jeeps I am familiar with have about 15PSI at idle and about 40PSI at highway speeds.

My son's started acting freaky so i bought a new sender from Advance Auto. I know it is better to get from the dealer but i was in there an they said if it didn't work i could bring it back.

I changed them and guess what,it didn't work. But when i plugged in his old one again it has worked fine for a few months now. Not sure if the elec plug cleaned itself plugging and unplugging or if there was something on the unit itself.

Anyway they took it back with no problems.
cbordea is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.