My new tails - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My new tails

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKJEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-25-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

My new tails

Well I got bored at work and Backwoods Customs work wasnt holding up on my tail so i made some out of basicly semi parts. I used 4 in. lights and 20 guage sheet metal. I need to add some 2 in side light to be comepletely legal.

| 5" of lift | Custom Bumpers | Black Rockcrawlers with 35x12.50 BFG MT's | Custom Rock Rails | Homebrewed OBA | Custom Roof Rack Loaded | Tube Doors |

Play 4x4Country.CLICK HERE
RuffedUpXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:00 PM   #2
mrboom
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Reminds me of a red light. Very nice..
mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 08:50 PM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Legal enough! Nice work!
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:12 PM   #4
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Nice work, they look well- made

... but I myself would never put lights like that to my Cherokee. Being honest, I've never liked the look of those. Reminds me of something like early 80's Kenworth trucks. I know those hold up much better in the woods compared to original lights, but still..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:24 PM   #5
toledotimber

According to Ohio's Revised Code, you're good as is.
§ 4513.05. Tail lights and illumination of rear license plate.
(A) Every motor vehicle, trackless trolley, trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a train of vehicles shall be equipped with at least one tail light mounted on the rear which, when lighted, shall emit a red light visible from a distance of five hundred feet to the rear, provided that in the case of a train of vehicles only the tail light on the rearmost vehicle need be visible from the distance specified.

Either a tail light or a separate light shall be so constructed and placed as to illuminate with a white light the rear registration plate, when such registration plate is required, and render it legible from a distance of fifty feet to the rear. Any tail light, together with any separate light for illuminating the rear registration plate, shall be so wired as to be lighted whenever the headlights or auxiliary driving lights are lighted, except where separate lighting systems are provided for trailers for the purpose of illuminating such registration plate.

(B) Whoever violates this section shall be punished as provided in section 4513.99 of the Revised Code.

HISTORY: GC § 6307-78; 119 v 766(792), § 78; Bureau of Code Revision. Eff 10-1-53; 149 v S 123, § 1, eff. 1-1-04.

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add the part that reads, "Any motor vehicle may be equipped with lights on each side thereof which shall emit a white or amber light without glare." You are allowed, but not required, to add them.
toledotimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 12:50 AM   #6
rayjay
1991 XJ Cherokee 

not a huge fan but nice work!

someone else was doing the same thing but with orange and no reverse...with the LED version of semi lights
rayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:30 AM   #7
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Well the LEDs will give you some trouble. They get goofy but tractor supply has a decent selection.

| 5" of lift | Custom Bumpers | Black Rockcrawlers with 35x12.50 BFG MT's | Custom Rock Rails | Homebrewed OBA | Custom Roof Rack Loaded | Tube Doors |

Unread 07-26-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
TurtleMacLeod
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Nice work! I like it; it's different and you did it yourself! Makes me miss my '91 XJ even more!

BTW, Anywhere in Lima to get my TJ a little dirty? I'm living in Findlay while my girlfriend finishes her degree, and the nearest we've found is Haspin Acres.
TurtleMacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:38 AM   #9
JEEPINWI

To make your Jeep completely legal, I'm pretty sure you need to get a bumper on that rig! Anyways, good looking tails. I've always like the way flush mounted tails look on the TJ/YJ's
Unread 07-26-2006, 10:49 AM   #10
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I like 'em. Looks like they'll hold up much better to a tree kiss them than the stock ones.

Just a heads up, Harbor Freight has red LED lights on sale right now.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #11
01JeepXJ

Look awesome I like them alot. I need to do that soon I think !!
**SOLD **
01JeepXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #12
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It takes some time to get the sheet metal to look even liek a tail light since if you take a look at your tail its a goofy shape. And unless you have a hole saw kit making the 4 3/8" isnt fun.

The bumper is in my shed it is ready to go on but need to find some one with a MIG I can use. It has a welded through hitch and shackle tabs. Just need the MIG

Unread 07-27-2006, 07:05 PM   #13
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good Nate!
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2006, 07:42 PM   #14
RuffedUpXJ
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks bud. You should come this weekend except that your XJ is in peices

Unread 07-27-2006, 08:24 PM   #15
IntrepidXJ

looks good. reminds me of the fullsize tail light boxes that i had and liked

they can definately take some harder hits than the stock, but now the weak point is where they mount to the body

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.