My Jeep Is Blowin Light Blue Smoke!? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My Jeep Is Blowin Light Blue Smoke!?

Huge Soft top SaleAdvance Adapters SYE KitsCurrie Antirock, Currectlync & Lift Kits on Sale!

Unread 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

My Jeep Is Blowin Light Blue Smoke!?

So...my jeep used to smoke a little at idle if it sat idling for long enough...you would rev it a few times see a lil bit of smoke then it would stop smoking for a little bit..Here recently its been doing it alot, like as soon as i stop driving and sit still for about 15 seconds it will start to blow out a little light blue smoke, it has a stinch to it, but almost seems like im smelling gas and oil, if i rev it a decent amount will come out then it might stop smoking for a few moments and it will start up again.

After switching to better injectors it almost seems to be worse then before...yet it runs way better then before this thing only has 131k, runs cool, strong, starts fast and has good oil pressure...somebody told me maybe it was somehow running rich and that it could be a bad fuel pressure regulator or something but idno, i already talked with my dad and next time he is free were gonna do a compression test, fuel pressure test and maybe a leakdown test, any help, suggestions, insight would be great, if it turns out to be something a little more serious like, pistons, rings, valve seals,valves or something then i guess im going to try and find a shortblock and slowly build that up, thanks sorry for the novel.

Unread 11-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #2
blue96jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

your burning oil, the oil is leaking into the cylinders somehow. either piston rings or the seals on the valve stems
blue96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
My1stxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

possible head gasket
My1stxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #4
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i vote bad rings or valve seals. head gasket is another option but that would usually lead to a loss of power too.
cumminsjeep24 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #5
Mark-96-XJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Damn I would pay some big money to dump blue coal...

[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]1996 XJ 5 Speed, 100% Herculined, Rough country 4.5, BFG A/T 33's[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]2012 Honda Ruckus, Stock for now, 114 MPG, Daily Rider[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/marks-highschool-build-slow-1068542/"][COLOR="Red"]96' Build[/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
Mark-96-XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

ahhh poop this sucks.
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #7
99XJBeast
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Dont worry man, its a jeep thing.
99XJBeast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #8
Empty_Pockets
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would say valve seals.
Empty_Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Tblack
2000 TJ Wrangler 

agreed, valve stem seals are my first guess. The compression test will tell the most truth. Make sure you get full pressure, allow about 6 turns of the engine on every cylinder. Should be like 120-150. and its gotta hold pressure as well. If its got bad compression, its probably the rings. Head gasket would make the exhaust smell super sweet (thats the antifreez), as well as burn blue.

good luck bud, hope it wall works out.
Tblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #10
My1stxj
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tblack View Post
agreed, valve stem seals are my first guess. The compression test will tell the most truth. Make sure you get full pressure, allow about 6 turns of the engine on every cylinder. Should be like 120-150. and its gotta hold pressure as well. If its got bad compression, its probably the rings. Head gasket would make the exhaust smell super sweet (thats the antifreez), as well as burn blue.

good luck bud, hope it wall works out.

it all depends on how the head gasket blew (if it is that)
My1stxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #11
BeepBeepGoJeep
1994 XJ Cherokee 

well alright thanks for the help, now its just a waiting game till me and my dad can get together and run a few tests on it, if its bad then i guess im gonna try and find a shortblock and slowly build it up, maybe .030 over, cam it and port it, and get a rebuild kit or something.
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #12
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeepBeepGoJeep View Post
already talked with my dad and next time he is free were gonna do a compression test, fuel pressure test and maybe a leakdown test.
Testing is EXACTLY what you should do. Guesses and hunches won't tell you the story.

Test your way to a solution as good data = good decisions.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2010, 05:55 AM   #13
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

If it's valve seals like mine was, you can put them in without removing the head in an afternoon. I bought the Mopar Performance set for $18 from the local dealer.

This would be AFTER doing a wet/dry compression test.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
kudzu35
1997 TJ Wrangler 

This sounds like it may be my problem as well.

I recently changed the oil out on my 97 TJ and immediately got a nasty smelly light smoke from the engine. I pop the hood up and see smoke coming from the engine block where the cylinders would be and from the radiator cap.

I take it any dealer can run a compression test?
kudzu35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-06-2010, 09:40 PM   #15
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudzu35 View Post
This sounds like it may be my problem as well.

I recently changed the oil out on my 97 TJ and immediately got a nasty smelly light smoke from the engine. I pop the hood up and see smoke coming from the engine block where the cylinders would be and from the radiator cap.

I take it any dealer can run a compression test?
your problem sounds totally different.

he is getting smoke out the tail pipe. which means either valves or rings.

you sound like you are overheating. possible head gasket. i advise for you no to drive it.

the op should do test and can continue to drive it with frequent oil level checks.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.