My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs - Page 42 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #616
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepkid03 View Post
My 2000 XJ has the 4.0/AW4 with the Cali emissions (3 cats). I'm on a 2" lift and 30" tires and I get 17-17.5 city and 20-21 highway.

Only performance mods are a dynomax super turbo cat-back, 62mm bored throttle body, and an amsoil Ea drop-in air filter.
Thats about what Id expect from a set up like that. Very similar to one of my 95s. You are doing well.

Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #617
ninjakid
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm gonna try the jimmy air dam extension.
Maybe it won't affect mileage but I've never tried it myself and since its cheap enough I'll give it a shot.
I'll be going to a jeep swap meet and u pull it this weekend anyways.
Plus experimenting is fun even if it does not do what I want.

If I can't find one at the junkyard I'll just order it from rock auto.
$7 plus 17 to ship from there (pn GM1090104)

Need something to do until I can fix my mtg2500 to diagnose some electrical issues on it anyways.
Unread 08-29-2013, 05:05 PM   #618
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Be sure to let us see and hear about the results.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:37 PM   #619
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Sorta lends perspective to my mileage claims, doesnt it? I really havent accomplished much.
I don't understand your meaning. I'm confused.

I wasn't criticizing you. Sorry if I came across like that.

My highway mileage claims are from when I (try to) stick to level ground to the extent possible. I can't avoid "bumps" (some up to 100 feet high) on freeway, but I can avoid hills (anything taller than 100 ft) if I drive on I-5 parallel to Columbia River. That is an almost level freeway for about maybe 150 miles (before it enters high mountain passes). That's as level as it gets for a highway around here. So in other words, I can keep it fairly level for a gas mileage highway test by driving only North or South. Any other direction puts me immediately onto hills and soon onto mountains.
Unread 08-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #620
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
I'm gonna try the jimmy air dam extension.
Maybe it won't affect mileage but I've never tried it myself and since its cheap enough I'll give it a shot.
I'll be going to a jeep swap meet and u pull it this weekend anyways.
Plus experimenting is fun even if it does not do what I want.

If I can't find one at the junkyard I'll just order it from rock auto.
$7 plus 17 to ship from there (pn GM1090104)

Need something to do until I can fix my mtg2500 to diagnose some electrical issues on it anyways.
That air dam can be purchased for $7 + $17 = $24 new from RockAuto.com?

Wow. I'm on it! Will be ordering tonight. Thanks for posting part number and source.

===

Edited in Later: With shipping to my zip code the total is $39.66 at RockAuto.com. I found it cheaper on Ebay for $32.80 with Free shipping. Just ordered it now!

I love cheap mods! Especially when (IMO) they have a good chance of working!

Thanks again for posting part number. Made it easy to find on RockAuto, Amazon, and Ebay.
Unread 08-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #621
ninjakid
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

That air dam can be purchased for $7 + $17 = $24 new from RockAuto.com?

Wow. I'm on it! Will be ordering tonight. Thanks for posting part number and source.

===

Edited in Later: With shipping to my zip code the total is $39.66 at RockAuto.com. I found it cheaper on Ebay for $32.80 with Free shipping. Just ordered it now!

I love cheap mods! Especially when (IMO) they have a good chance of working!

Thanks again for posting part number. Made it easy to find on RockAuto, Amazon, and Ebay.
Wow it costs double to ship to you?
Most their warehouses are on the west coast so I figured shipping wouldn't be that much different for anybody else.
I was wrong apparently.
At least you found something cheaper than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using JeepForum
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #622
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

No offense taken or meant. I was serious. When taken in context, my mpg achievements are far less than you guys with hills, mountains, and regular cold weather.
Unread 08-30-2013, 06:56 AM   #623
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post

Uh ... I meant no contradiction, ..or offense.

I just wanted to sum up all current points (mine, yours, others)
Sorry, Racer, I didn't mean to come across as angry or offended. I just wanted to reiterate that the honeycomb tires would not be released to the public without a sidewall. No need to stress about mud, rocks, snow, or whatever other debris may get in. That's all, sorry for any confusion!
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #624
tamnoz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel Mileage

I gotta tell you, I found this thread yesterday afternoon and didn't get any work done the rest of the day. I have read about 2/3 rds of this thread and have only two questions. Do programmers help at all? If so how come no one mentioned them? If you replace the crank driven fan with electric, how many CFM do you need to match or beat it's cooling capability.
Jim
tamnoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:00 AM   #625
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnoz
I gotta tell you, I found this thread yesterday afternoon and didn't get any work done the rest of the day. I have read about 2/3 rds of this thread and have only two questions. Do programmers help at all? If so how come no one mentioned them? If you replace the crank driven fan with electric, how many CFM do you need to match or beat it's cooling capability.
Jim
Because to my knowledge there isn't any tuning options outside of maybe stand alone modules for Jeeps. No "canned" tuner will be worth it's money. I gained 2-3mpg out of my LQ4 when I had it tuned but it was a wash out since it was tuned for 93 octane.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 08:26 AM   #626
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnoz
Jim
Regarding the fan, I think the clutch-driven mechanical fan moves a max of 2700-3000 cfm. Maybe? I'm pretty sure Marcus Ohms has the figure on his site somewhere (gojeep). I know it's quite a lot; most efans don't meet or exceed it on their own. My efan setup moves about 3300, but that's because it is composed of 3 11" fans that move about 1100 each. Again, I could be a little off there.

New sig rules suck.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #627
tamnoz
2001 XJ Cherokee 

hot fuel

Hey Newtron3, I'm curious. I come from a racing background and we're always trying to cool our fuel not heat it, also I'm constantly having a #3#4 fuel injector failure do to heat so I took heat sleave and wrapped each injector and the rail to try to eliminate this problem. Won't heating the fuel just make the problem worse?
JIm
tamnoz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM   #628
ninjakid
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Stuff on the fans is here.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoElectricFan.htm
Quote:
I spoke to the company that built my custom 3 row radiator and he stated that our XJ's need a CFM rating of 2000 minimum to do the job and around 3000 CFM if towing a lot offroad to replace the mechanical one along with the standard electric one. Generally this means a fan of at least the same size ( 15" ) as the one it is replacing or bigger but there are some 14" ones out there that pull these CFM numbers.
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall1.htm
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #629
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamnoz View Post
Hey Newtron3, I'm curious. I come from a racing background and we're always trying to cool our fuel not heat it, also I'm constantly having a #3#4 fuel injector failure do to heat so I took heat sleave and wrapped each injector and the rail to try to eliminate this problem. Won't heating the fuel just make the problem worse?
JIm
In a racing situation, especially carbureted with low fuel pressure, you will want cool fuel. My proposals are for economy only. These ideas are not new nor original. They are based on work done by our predecessors like Smokey Yunick. On your Jeep, I think you are working on a symptom rather than the solution. I have ovecome that problem several times and have never used the insulators. I started with a Raytech gun and logged the obscene temps on my 06 and went from there. On mine, the upper cats were causing way too much heat to be retained in the head. On this project, I intend to raise fuel pressure and use my premium injectors to control the problem. I dont think Ill actually be raising the rail temp of the fuel more than 25-30 degrees, ultimately. Really, Ill be stabilizing the temp across the operating range. My hope is that the pressure drop combined with the heat will lead to almost vaporization of the fuel or at least a really finely atomized mix. This coupled with a hot-air intake should net me a couple of mpg. We will see. Im attempting to try it on something other than a Cherokee first.
Unread 08-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #630
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Regarding the fan, I think the clutch-driven mechanical fan moves a max of 2700-3000 cfm. Maybe? I'm pretty sure Marcus Ohms has the figure on his site somewhere (gojeep). I know it's quite a lot; most efans don't meet or exceed it on their own. My efan setup moves about 3300, but that's because it is composed of 3 11" fans that move about 1100 each. Again, I could be a little off there.
Ive also been told by several sources that 3000 to 3600 is needed. I have disputed the claimed 3000ish cfm factory fan claim for years. In stock trim, pulling through half the radiator and condenser, with the crappy shroud, and with the hood closed -in other words, in the real world- I dont think it reaches that efficiency. Ive had real success with 3, 900-1200 cfm fans or either the factory aux fan and one 2000-2400 cfm fan when they are all shrouded properly. The key to our success has been venting the hood, usually with louvers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.