My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs - Page 37 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #541
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
This is the future. Current predictions are for widespread availability in about 10 years, but I just heard from a source I consider extremely reliable that because of rising interest and contracts (as you may see from the picture), we may see them available to us in around five years at @ $275 ea.

http://michelinmedia.com/news/michel...re-innovation/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...1&d=1377557988
I don't think those honey-comb looking tires will help gas mileage, and they'd clog during mudding. What a mess that would be to clean dried mud from honey-comb holes.

No offense intended, but what do airless honey-comb tires have to do with a gas mileage thread? Seems off topic to me.

I'm more interested in reading about you heating gasoline to (hopefully) make combustion more efficient.

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:05 PM   #542
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
If suicidal deer (2) and old ladies in Cadillac Sedan DeVille's would stop targeting my Cherokees, I might could get something done.
Old people in old large Cadillacs scare me in my relativley puny little Jeep. I could have nightmares about this.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #543
rebelbowtie
Frameless and Shameless

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3

I don't think those honey-comb looking tires will help gas mileage, and they'd clog during mudding. What a mess that would be to clean dried mud from honey-comb holes.

No offense intended, but what do airless honey-comb tires have to do with this thread? Seems off topic to me.

I'm more interested in reading about you heating gasoline to (hopefully) make combustion more efficient.
Those are just pictures of a prototype tire that's been floating around the Internet for a few years. I would speculate its a cut away tire to show how the honey comb design works, the production tire if there is one would have a full carcass.
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM   #544
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just ordered a Dynomax cat back system for $150 from Quadratec. Free shipping of course.

I want a new down-pipe without the stock dent.

Can I get a generic down-pipe from any local muffler shop, or do I need to order a name brand down-pipe from online?

Possibly a stupid question, but I'm a newbie at this topic.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:17 PM   #545
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelbowtie View Post
Those are just pictures of a prototype tire that's been floating around the Internet for a few years. I would speculate its a cut away tire to show how the honey comb design works, the production tire if there is one would have a full carcass.
OK, but how does it relate to gas mileage topic?
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #546
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Well it could eliminate improper tire pressure mileage issues.
Seems like it could also eliminate the ability to adjust inflation pressure to match varying load needs.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Vote for the Jurassic July Cherokee Of The Month!!!
chris87xj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:18 PM   #547
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I just ordered a Dynomax cat back system for $150 from Quadratec. Free shipping of course.

I want a new down-pipe without the stock dent.

Can I get a generic down-pipe from any local muffler shop, or do I need to order a name brand down-pipe from online?

Possibly a stupid question, but I'm a newbie at this topic.
Get one made. That's probably the best option for you with the set-up you are running.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #548
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post

No offense intended, but what do airless honey-comb tires have to do with this thread? Seems off topic to me.

These are a little beyond prototype. They are in production now for equipment. We have several sets on site. The guy I talked to had an *** of pictures and had laid hands on the automotive versions. He too built Jeeps in his spare time and told me how they would affect us. I'm still trying to get wrapped around them. He's telling me that they will improve road and MPG performance without sacrificing too much performance offroad. The rubber tread is effectively harder and deforms less when traveling. The "spokes" of the wheel deflect when offroad. I'll see him again in the next week or so and I'll try to get his videos. I've seen the generic stuff out there, but when a guy shows me a video that he is in....I tend to lend some credibility to his story. Considering his company is selling the equipment versions now, he might know something.
Unread 08-26-2013, 09:39 PM   #549
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Honeycomb tires are not anything new...
What happens when snow, mud, rocks..... Gets trapped in them.
It really does sound great, but I don't see them taking off anytime soon.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 04:18 AM   #550
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That is one of my concerns.
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #551
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've read online about these honeycomb tires is they are extremely difficult to balance, therefore no street tires. Also, if they do become available to the public, then there will be a "skin" on the outside to keep snow, rocks, mud, and whatever else out.
JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:12 AM   #552
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Get one made. That's probably the best option for you with the set-up you are running.
OK. I'll get a new down pipe made.

Is the stock headers/manifold good enough performing to keep using, or replace?
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #553
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
These are a little beyond prototype. They are in production now for equipment. We have several sets on site. The guy I talked to had an *** of pictures and had laid hands on the automotive versions. He too built Jeeps in his spare time and told me how they would affect us. I'm still trying to get wrapped around them. He's telling me that they will improve road and MPG performance without sacrificing too much performance offroad. The rubber tread is effectively harder and deforms less when traveling. The "spokes" of the wheel deflect when offroad. I'll see him again in the next week or so and I'll try to get his videos. I've seen the generic stuff out there, but when a guy shows me a video that he is in....I tend to lend some credibility to his story. Considering his company is selling the equipment versions now, he might know something.
Hmm. OK.

But... Harder rubber has traction problems in a Northern (colder) climate, especially when cold and wet.

Harder rubber on any type tire increases gas mileage at the expense of wet traction and especially Winter traction.

Harder rubber has less rolling resistance than softer rubber, but harder rubber also has less traction on wet surfaces, cold surfaces, and especially cold wet surfaces.

Hard rubber is incredibly slick on wet snow or wet ice (near 32F). Like so slick it can't even be adequately described in words. I experienced it in the past when I had hard rubber treads on a Wrangler and another vehicle.

For example, traditional highway touring tires have harder rubber than all season or all terrain tires. Some commercial traction tires have really hard rubber too.

===

The only exception to that rule (TIKO) is tires with silica in the tread. The rolling resistance is LESS and traction is MORE. Thus achieving what was previously impossible. You have cake and eat it too. At least that's Cooper's description of the benefits of silica in the Cooper AT3, and so far I believe based on wet pavement. Next Winter will be an interesting test of the tires and Cooper's claims.

If Cooper's claims are true (and I tend to believe they are likely true), then I would assume that silica would have similar benefits in other brands of tires. However, as you asked, how much silica is in a given tire, and how much is best? Good questions. I don't know.

===

Wouldn't honey comb tires be expensive? You'd be replacing the tire and wheel every time.
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM   #554
JSahara00
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I did not read every post so im not sure if this has been mentioned.. Indexing your spark plugs.... cheap and worth a try.
I like this thread im going back to read more of it now.
Keep trying..
00 TJ, OME shocks, all currie control arm, OME steering damper, Brown dog MML, VIAIR OBA with 2 quick disconnects at the doors, jks quick discos, Kolak exhaust, 30 spline D30 w/ ARB and 4:56, 8.8 w/ super 88 and ARB, home made F/R bumpers and tire carrier,OME zj front springs and OME Lj rear springs, CB w/ firestick, DIY highline fenders/hood, 35 pro comp mud terrains, cragar soft 8s .. .

95 XJ 4.0 4x4 Auto, V8 ZJ steering linkage
JSahara00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:30 AM   #555
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSahara00 View Post
I did not read every post so im not sure if this has been mentioned.. Indexing your spark plugs.... cheap and worth a try.
I like this thread im going back to read more of it now.
Keep trying..
Indexing spark plugs has not been mentioned before, AFAIK.

Please explain.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.