My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My goal is to get 25+ mpg from my 99 XJ with 30 x 9.5 R15 ATs

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #511
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthecatkiller View Post
http://jeep-xj.info/HowtoMAPsensor.htm
how about this you can manually lean out your a/f ratio
Interesting, but it says you can only fine tune mixture from 80 to 100% throttle. So sounds like more of a power tune than an economod, IMO.

From what I read, this is mostly done to fine tune strokers.

Unread 08-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #512
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Im on my tiny phone, away from home, in the Republic of Texas. So bear with me, Im having trouble quoting. There are no cheap, easy to install lockout hub conversions. If all the Warn will handle is 31s, then it is weaker than the unit bearings and a downgrade. Not an option for me. At 30 PSI or better, it is almost impossible to vapor lock. The MAP mod has great affect on OBD-I vehicles. That and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator are a great way to adjust a/f ratio. On OBD-II vehicles, I am told, but have not confirmed, the MAP is only good for 5 percent of fuel trim....but Im thinking I might take that 5 percent. That small percent, a little from the IAT, a little from TPS, etc. After a while, we have quite a measurable change.
Newtons3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM   #513
longtro
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley3 View Post
I'd love a 210F to 215F stat. Preferably a 210F or 212F
Would I need to upgrade my tranny cooler to something bigger than the stock tow package one? Probably so, if using 215F stat. What size tranny cooler would be appropriate?
Hey there... I know I am realy late to this party and have just started trying to read the thread..

MY stock tow package trany cooler is actually a heat exchanger in the rad.. there is a huge cooler infront I thought was for the trany but it is a/c : ( I plan to loose the ac cooler and put a large trany cooler in the front.

so it may have already been explained but make sure you have a trany cooler and not a heat exchanger(fooled by the a/c like me.)
longtro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #514
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Oil heat interchanger partially installed.
Its a pain.
Forgot to take a picture of it mocked up in place.
The original fitting needs a 1" wrench.
The vw nut is somewhere in the 27mm range and I've yet to find anything that fits perfectly.
The vw nipple is slightly too short.
If you thread the nipple in fully it doesn't even stick out the heat interchanger.
Currently trying to figure out how far I need to thread in the nipple to ensure the filter has enough to thread onto and the nipple itself has enough threaded into the 90* adaptor so it doesn't leak.
If you use a propane torch to heat up the adapter for a couple minutes you can screw it in by hand which is very helpful when you have to redo it several times.
But yeah I can now completely confirm that the oil heat exchanger hesco sells is a vw one you can get far cheaper elsewhere.
Its just a pain to get setup.
And changing the filter will be slightly harder since its next to the evap canister.
1377224525047.jpg   1377224564563.jpg  
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #515
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
Im on my tiny phone, away from home, in the Republic of Texas. So bear with me, Im having trouble quoting. There are no cheap, easy to install lockout hub conversions. If all the Warn will handle is 31s, then it is weaker than the unit bearings and a downgrade. Not an option for me. At 30 PSI or better, it is almost impossible to vapor lock. The MAP mod has great affect on OBD-I vehicles. That and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator are a great way to adjust a/f ratio. On OBD-II vehicles, I am told, but have not confirmed, the MAP is only good for 5 percent of fuel trim....but Im thinking I might take that 5 percent. That small percent, a little from the IAT, a little from TPS, etc. After a while, we have quite a measurable change.
You have good info, as always. Thanks.
Unread 08-22-2013, 09:21 PM   #516
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtro View Post
Hey there... I know I am realy late to this party and have just started trying to read the thread..

MY stock tow package trany cooler is actually a heat exchanger in the rad.. there is a huge cooler infront I thought was for the trany but it is a/c : ( I plan to loose the ac cooler and put a large trany cooler in the front.

so it may have already been explained but make sure you have a trany cooler and not a heat exchanger(fooled by the a/c like me.)
I know more now.

In theory a 215F stat would be really efficient, and probably would be if engine and transmission were designed for it.

However, I have since concluded that a 205F stat is best. It runs from 208F to 212F, usually 210F. That is perfect for the 4L Jeep engine, IME.

A 205F Gates or ACDelco stat is perfect for people in a moderate to cold climate IMO. I'm inclined to say Gates for moderate climates, and ACDelco for cold climates. That is because I suspect the ACDelco is slightly warmer than the Gates.

For the auto transmission, I don't think an auxiliary cooler is necessary, but it is nice to have. My current Jeep has an auxilliary cooler. My prior two Jeeps had none. All 3 had 205F stats. No problems with any Jeeps.

What I do think is necessary, or at least a really good idea, is synthetic motor oil and transmission oil. I really like Mobil One 0-40 motor oil, and Mobil One transmission oil.

If you want to take the protection step further, add a dedicated transmission cooler.
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #517
Ratrod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Is it possible to list recommended items for fuel economy at the front of this thread? Example would be fuel injector upgrade, thermostat upgrade, synthetic oils, spark plugs and etc.
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #518
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratrod View Post
Is it possible to list recommended items for fuel economy at the front of this thread? Example would be fuel injector upgrade, thermostat upgrade, synthetic oils, spark plugs and etc.
All the basic mods, the places to start, are listed in the OP.

I've been updating the OP.

For spark plugs, stock plugs are best. Whatever is stock for your model year.
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #519
ninjakid

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Its installed.
Changing the oil filter will be a challenge.
Tied it into the return line since the heat interchanger is 5/8th, the return hose is 5/8th and the line from the thermostat housing is 11/16 which is impossible to find and the current hose is too short
Heat interchanger gets very warm very quickly.
Will see what happens.
1377464411910.jpg   1377464434040.jpg  
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:47 PM   #520
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakid View Post
Its installed.
Changing the oil filter will be a challenge.
Tied it into the return line since the heat interchanger is 5/8th, the return hose is 5/8th and the line from the thermostat housing is 11/16 which is impossible to find and the current hose is too short
Heat interchanger gets very warm very quickly.
Will see what happens.
Lets us know how it affects gas mileage. I expect it'll make most difference in Winter by helping you run full op temp, instead of underheating.

I look forward to hearing about your results, especially next Winter.
Unread 08-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #521
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just updated the OP (again) to help new comers to the thread be able to get more info in one place.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #522
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For spark plugs, stock plugs are best. Whatever is stock for your model year.
This is where we disagree. I don't think this blanket statement is true for everyone. I believe that the Iridium plugs are at least as good (I believe better) as the factory plugs. I believe those of us with other modifications may also be facing a heat range conundrum. I don't feel like this has been explored sufficiently to put it to rest. I do believe it will be....shortly.
Unread 08-25-2013, 04:10 PM   #523
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Lets us know how it affects gas mileage. I expect it'll make most difference in Winter by helping you run full op temp, instead of underheating.

I look forward to hearing about your results, especially next Winter.
I am hoping to get one of my test mules up and running and test the same concept on the fuel line.
Unread 08-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #524
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons3 View Post
I am hoping to get one of my test mules up and running and test the same concept on the fuel line.
That's really interesting. I wonder how much it might help? I could see this potentially offering benefits in a cold climate, but you live in a hot climate. Isn't your fuel already plenty warm?
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:47 AM   #525
Newtons3
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I am thinking I'd like to try the fuel at around 200 degrees. I can't put my finger on a definite reason for that number, but that's where I'm wanting to start. I know others who have done this have used temps in the 230-260 range. I'm not sure I'm ready to start that high.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.