my first jeep, is this normal? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > my first jeep, is this normal?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONS

Unread 12-23-2012, 05:46 PM   #16
billb2011
1999 XJ Cherokee 

They make a product that is just for plastic trim its a spray paint, I think its by Rustoleum, check wherever Rustoleum is sold around you. I used Rustoleum truck bed coating before I found out they had it for plastic trim, but it worked just fine anyway. If your a cheapskate any old black matte spray paint will work fine.

Unread 12-23-2012, 06:05 PM   #17
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice ... I like white a lot, looks just like mine when I got it ... Same wheels and all ... Perfecto
Unread 12-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #18
TJSE1997
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Krylon fusion for the fenders.
TJSE1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #19
xltom

i've used fusion for a lot of plastic interior parts. It tends to wear off of surfaces that get touched alot like arm rests and window cranks. It's cheap though. I never had much luck with rustoleum products but Im not familiar with the one mentioned. I saw in another thread, someone mentioned SEM had a product for trim also.

yeah white is alright. my jeep was a service vehicle for the local utility monopoly here in eugene(eweb). That's why there's only 62k miles on her. She's got a c.b. antenna bolted thru the center of the roof.
xltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
ChEaPsK87
1987 XJ Cherokee 

There is stuff called Wipenew that is supposed to work on any plastic trim great but I have not used it yet. Google it to check it out yourself
ChEaPsK87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #21
BigByrd47119
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xltom View Post
I DO!!! My dog loves it too. No more riding in the back of a pickup.

It was just the AC compressor.. as soon as I took it off defrost she was purring like a kitten.

What's the best product for making these fender flares black again? Thanks...
I used Krylon Fusion flat black. Its made for plastic lawn funiture so it should be able to take a beating. So far, (6ish months) mine havnt faded, pealed, or chipped. Hit it with some fine grain sandpaper, wash, dry, spray. I used 3 or 4 coats, cant remeber now.
BigByrd47119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #22
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The Wax Shop has stuff called "Bumper Black" Used it on the Honda my kid drove. Works OK. I used Rustoleum satin black for the bumpers and flares as well as the trim on the rockers on my XJ, it is a Country and was silver/grey. Tough paint after it dries, creosote bushes left no scratches that wouldn't come out easily.
M35A2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 03:59 PM   #23
misterdent
Goin broke jeeping!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

paint with proper prep!
misterdent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2012, 10:55 PM   #24
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdent View Post
paint with proper prep!
Take them off and put them in the trash

Paint the fenders they said ...

Nice fender trim w/ some bump stops is the way to go ..
Unread 12-25-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

There are lots of tricks to darkening dry, oxidized plastic trim, but the only permanent solution is to paint them. You can use a wipe-on product like Mother's Back to Black, and that may work for awhile. You can hit them with a heat gun, and they should darken for up to a year if you're lucky. You can polish off the fine layer of oxidized plastic, but that won't last either. Paint them, and that will last. I do not have any recommendations for paint, however.

Your most important tool with a new Jeep will be your internet search engine. Learn how to do a proper search for information, and practice it. People are forgiving at first, but eventually if you ask too many questions that have been asked and answered before, people will lose patience. With Jeep Cherokees, rarely is the info not already out there somewhere.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:16 AM   #26
xltom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschi772 View Post
Learn how to do a proper search for information, and practice it. People are forgiving at first, but eventually if you ask too many questions that have been asked and answered before, people will lose patience.
What is this "internet search engine" you speak of? Is there a class I can take to learn how to do a "proper search for information"? Hahahaha!! I do appreciate your forgiveness bro but I think for example, a search about what to blacken my trim with might yield a bunch of conflicting results just like here on the thread. Some people recommend a torch, some motor oil.. I signed up to hear peoples opinions and asked my questions after doing a search actually. If you search my screen name you'll see I've been a contributing member on MANY forums.Thanks for the friendly warning but you might wanna ease up on the new members. Your forum needs us. If you think someone's questions are stupid.... just don't answer em'... No hard feelings of course kid, just sayin.

Last edited by xltom; 12-26-2012 at 05:47 AM..
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #27
flatheadmatt
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on the sweet XJ. Barely broken in....im jealous...
flatheadmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #28
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I wasn't passing any judgment on your question. It's merely a piece of advice that I hand out to anyone who seems new. There are far too many people who, despite your sarcasm, don't know how to search for anything ever. Give/teach a man to fish and all that. The trouble with asking people's opinions is just that--all you get are opinions. Some of them are crap, some of them are from experience, some of them are just hearsay nonsense, and all of them can be found out there already (as you know since you say you've already searched).

To use your question as just an example, I can type til I'm bloody in the fingers about how wipe-ons and heat are just band-aids and a waste of time due to the fact that the damage is already done to that plastic and it will just continue to dry and oxidize, but I'm just another voice on the internet to you just like everyone else. I would rather that newbies (how am I supposed to know you're super active on other forums?) learn how to properly search, sort, and research information on their own so that they can gather facts for themselves instead of just picking opinions out of a hat. They'll learn more that way. Most people who recommend wipe-on or heat haven't done a lot of research and as a result have never learned about why plastic trim gets the way it does; if they did, they'd know that there's no real fix.

I'm just one of the many examples of people who has learned an enormous, expert-level amount of information by simply utilizing all the information already out there. I can only think of one question I felt that I had to ask, and it remains unanswered to this day unfortunately, but if I have to, I'll just immerse myself in the loads of information out there about paint so that I can eventually provide an answer for myself on the matter. I don't expect everyone to possess the research/study skills that I have, but all too often people will create one-sentence thread asking a question that, if typed verbatim into Google, would yield a perfect answer in the very first hit of the search. Forums need members, yes, but no forum needs members like that.

Like I said: my suggestion is routine for me and in no way should be taken as insult or as disapproval for your question about trim since there isn't as much concrete info out there about 90's-00's bare black/gray plastic trim and bumpers turning pale or even white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xltom View Post
No worries brother. I definately get what you're saying. Maybe make it a policy of yours to say something corny like "welcome to the forum" at the same time when you let em know about the search engine.
Instead of making another post, I'll just say here, xltom, that that's not a bad idea. I currently have a similar posting policy to always post something on-topic even when a thread is wandering off-topic, so I'll add "something corny" to my personal code of conduct.
mschi772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
xltom

No worries brother. I definately get what you're saying. Maybe make it a policy of yours to say something corny like "welcome to the forum" at the same time when you let em know about the search engine. Merry x-mas everyone. I'm off to put a few miles on my new baby.....
Unread 12-26-2012, 05:50 PM   #30
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

+ =

.. Click here to join ---> Members against battered

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.