my first jeep, is this normal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > my first jeep, is this normal?

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
xltom

my first jeep, is this normal?

Hey, I just bought my first jeep today. I didn't really take the time to do research or have a mechenic check it out because the deal was so sweet. I bought it on a saturday so taking it for inspection was impossible. It's a 98 cherokee with only 63k miles.

Everything seems like new, but it does weird stuff while idleing. It revs up for 5 or 6 seconds then drops back down to a normal idle. then it revs up again a few seconds later, over and over...

Is this just a computer version of auto-choke to help it run while cold? Or is this behavior something I should worry about.

Another question.. what's the best way to verify the 4x4 is working? In my old truck, you could tell it was in 4x4 if you made tight turns on asfault. Is my cherokee full time 4WD or part-time?

I hope Im in the right place as I've made the jump today from a nissan guy to the world of jeeps and I'll be needing a good forum for modifications and maintenance in the future. Thanks. Tom

xltom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Is the heater control on defrost? If so, your idle thing may be caused by the ac compressor kicking in and out.
All work well
bigbill888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
xltom

yeah it was set to defrost, I just ran out and checked. Why would the compressor kick on if I'm running heat? It does sound like a compressor kicking on

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbill888 View Post
Is the heater control on defrost? If so, your idle thing may be caused by the ac compressor kicking in and out.
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

By design, your air conditioning compressor will kick on and off if you are on DEFROST mode, (not the heat settings). It helps dehumidify the air.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:12 PM   #5
xltom

Thanks. I get it now.... any ideas on testing my 4x4? This forum gets an A+ so far man... quick resonses!!!!
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #6
AmbuGrl
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Put it in neutral then try 4lo, back into neutral and 4 high....

I drive an XJ, and all of my power windows work :)

2000 Pontiac WS6 - DD
DD (Mine) Sold - 98 XJ Moss Green
(His) - 92 YJ December 2013 YJOTM

Sold - 95 ZJ
Sold - 97 XJ Red
Sold - 98 XJ

USN Jeep Club Hull #36
NAXJA #3700

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
WTF is Clockspring??? my Jeep has digital clock
AmbuGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
xltom

how will I know if all 4 wheels are getting power? Sorry for the newbie questions...at least I don't have to get out and lock the hubs anymore!! (i drive an xj and all my manual windows will be easy to fix when they eventually fail...hehheheee)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmbuGrl View Post
Put it in neutral then try 4lo, back into neutral and 4 high....
Unread 12-22-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

First question:
Do you have 4 or 5 positions on the T-case shifter?
If you only have 2hi-4hi-N-4lo you have PART TIME 4WD. Do not drive in 4wd on the street.
If you have a full time position, you can use that on the street...

To see if both axles are engaged, do the tight turns IN THE DIRT... or do burnouts in the dirt and have someone look for rooster tails from both axles.
And since you've had a 4x4 before, you know about how open differentials affect your ability to put traction to the ground, right?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:20 PM   #9
xltom

yeah, I only ever drove on the asfault in 4x4 by accident after leaving the boat ramp.Still thats the only way I know to tell if the 4WD is working WITHOUT wheeling the truck. Thanks for all the info guys. Ill get back at youz when I come up with some more.
Unread 12-22-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hey congrats on your jeep ... Pics

I have have had a lot of different types of cars but for sure .... You will never go wrong with a jeep.

As far as having some issues .... Well, after you own a jeep or two, you will pretty much be a mechanic. And as time goes by you will be even better at being a mechanic. I think there are a few guys on here that know more about jeeps than jeep does, thank god they hang out and help people (Hooya)

So get your self some tools And congrats on your jeep .... And pics
Unread 12-23-2012, 02:48 AM   #11
xltom

It's dark out now but I'll post some pics tomorrow. I have tools but I guess the metric ones won't see much action for a while. I've always had to wrench a little to keep any of my beaters running. This jeep is pretty nice in comparison so I'm hoping I'll get some time off from working on stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Hey congrats on your jeep ... Pics

I have have had a lot of different types of cars but for sure .... You will never go wrong with a jeep.

As far as having some issues .... Well, after you own a jeep or two, you will pretty much be a mechanic. And as time goes by you will be even better at being a mechanic. I think there are a few guys on here that know more about jeeps than jeep does, thank god they hang out and help people (Hooya)

So get your self some tools And congrats on your jeep .... And pics
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #12
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

You loooooove your jeep
Unread 12-23-2012, 10:44 AM   #13
tsc
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you have idle issues- its usually related to 2 things= either a vacuum leak or an dirty throttlebody/Idle Air Controller (iac) search on those and you'll see more detail
tsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:01 PM   #14
xltom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
You loooooove your jeep
I DO!!! My dog loves it too. No more riding in the back of a pickup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsc View Post
If you have idle issues- its usually related to 2 things= either a vacuum leak or an dirty throttlebody/Idle Air Controller (iac) search on those and you'll see more detail
It was just the AC compressor.. as soon as I took it off defrost she was purring like a kitten.

What's the best product for making these fender flares black again? Thanks...
Unread 12-23-2012, 04:21 PM   #15
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Congrats on your new Jeep,My dog also loves to ride.Glad you found your Idle problem.IMHO you came to the best forum you could have.Don't throw out your 10,13,and 15 mm stuff you will need them someday.
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.