My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget. - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #31
vincepru
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyimmyx View Post
heres a pic of the tow hook in the day light today. It work pretty damn good we went out today and my friends durango cracked the ice over a hole and his front tires went in, while his back were still onthe ice and not getting traction either, so I pulled himout using the hook.

please tell me your kidding. remove that before you kill someone. a class 3 hitch is anywhere from 50$ used to 250$ brand new, if you cant dish out that kind of $ for a safe recovery point, what kind of "safe" rig are you trying to build?

vincepru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:27 PM   #32
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

in no particular order:

this thread is like wow.

did you get stuck in that mud pit with those 235 A/Ts?

that hook is going to separate someone from their life or some fairly significant part of their body at some point in the future. possibly you.

why not just chop up the fenders and run 31s with no lift or just some coil spacers and a shackle (if your stock springs aren't shot).

diggin' the gold OEM XJ wheels. get some wheel spacers while you're at it to widen your stance and make more room for tires.
Unread 11-09-2010, 05:48 PM   #33
crem
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I see class 3 hitches all them on at lot of junk yard places. Like u-pull-it. They are wicked cheap, or craigslist man. Im am on craigslist as much as I am on here.
crem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #34
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

yea, i love how you talked about safety so much in your OP, then you go do the most redneck unsafe thing possibe.

...you be trollin.

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:15 AM   #35
KevinM90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How the **** is no SYE not safe? You guys are doing way more web wheeeling then wheeling I guess. Same thing with a sway bar. To be honest, you dont need a rear one. Disco the front in the woods. No loss in saftey there.

I wouldn't use that hook, just because its not really re-inforced.
And yeah peeps, stock jeeps go through quite a bit even with stock tires. If yall got out there, youd'a figured that one out.

Last edited by ReconMill; 11-10-2010 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: Dont bypass the filter.
KevinM90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM   #36
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the unsafe things I've read on here were from 16-year-old kids that think of the axles and shackles as tow points and snatch straps with hooks as recovery gear.

Building practices are pretty good around here. There's a lot of unsafe stuff people do on vehicles with frames that is simply not possible on an XJ.

The first thing you should bolt on before going offroad are quality front and rear recovery points. If you have good junk yards, you might just find some factory font hooks and rear hitches. In a year and a half, my local yard has only had three 97+ XJs so for most things I don't even bother going looking, I just shop online.

I think in a lot of instances lift is overused. Driver skill and traction are the most important factors when offroad. Some armor under the sensitive spots is always a good idea. The budget build is the way to go though.

As you shop tires, keep Treadwright in mind. (They used to be HiTec Retreading.) They make top notch tires at bottom dollar prices. If you go with a 30 they have a tread pattern somewhat similar to the old Swamper TSL. If you with 31s, you can get a clone of the original Wrangler MT/Rs.
Unread 11-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #37
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyimmyx View Post
heres a pic of the tow hook in the day light today. It work pretty damn good we went out today and my friends durango cracked the ice over a hole and his front tires went in, while his back were still onthe ice and not getting traction either, so I pulled himout using the hook.

My word this is a scary tow hook.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #38
KevinM90
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Just read you got that hook at home depot. I work at home depot. They dont have any hooks with a WLL over like, 3700 pounds. You are going to want 8,000+ for people not to shake when u start pulling on stuff.
Unread 11-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #39
justanotherjpr

The hook and bracket gives me nightmares.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #40
rugsucka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I will let the rest of the flame war deal with your improvised rear recovery point - the feedback you are receiving is for your benefit and why you don't see 'sketchy' builds on jeepforum - we insist on safety and don't like to see bad information and suggestions become commonplace and would never want to see somebody else copy a poor design or unsafe idea and put other innocent people at risk

I have some unrelated advice too:

I would like to advise you to ditch those factory step bars for a couple of reasons:
-they are ugly to look at, too thin to be effective, and rob ground clearance from your rockers.
-they are also a water and mud collector which will contribute to rocker rot and rusting of your body and lower doors.

I declined a $200 parts jeep identical to yours - 92 black limited, leather etc. for a couple of reasons - one of them being that the rust build up itself was the lower body and rocker structure from those step bars.
Unread 11-23-2010, 11:25 AM   #41
Beowill
4 ft. Member

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Haha guys give him a break. Ya he messed up but I'm pretty sure all of you guys have done stupid *** stuff to your rigs as well at some point.

But.... you might want to fix some of that stuff
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:06 PM   #42
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The joke's on us guys. The original post date was 02-11-2009. His last visit was 07-07-2010.
Unread 11-23-2010, 02:57 PM   #43
Beowill
4 ft. Member

2004 LJ Wrangler 

fail.........
Unread 11-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #44
badmatt
1990 XJ Cherokee 

1/2" Grade 8 bolts min...
badmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:18 PM   #45
Back_In_Black
2001 XJ Cherokee 

he was a troll, or we scared him away...

[QUOTE=AustinTJer;9988995]Have you ever seen and or filmed a rainbow? More specifically a double, possibly triple rainbow?[/QUOTE]
Back_In_Black is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.