My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget.

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!1999-2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Headlight Pair1997 - 2001 Jeep Cherokee Header Panel

Unread 02-11-2009, 05:07 AM   #1
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

My build thread. My attempt on a SAFE build on a budget.

Well I got my new cherokee, which I will start collecting part for this week. Its a '88 with the renix fuel inj. Its got 156 K on her, I got her for 700 bux because the head gasket was shot. Fixed it up, go ther running right, now its time to lift it. I do not have a specific height in mind, or even tire size yet. As this IS a budget build thread, I will be using what available in my price range. This mean sthat I will probably be using alot of use parts, when I can, and buying on craigslist, etc. That being said, SAFETY IS MY NUMBER ONE CONCERN. Before anyone flames me I just want to say I will NOT be blocking this thing, or stacking spacers, or not SYE it or anyhting sketchy like that. It will be a wuiality complete job. I am on a budget right now as I am a student, and currenlty saving up to by my girlfreind and engament ring, so that number one as far as money goes right now. I wanted ot document this build because I see alot of shady build on here and unsafe things and I want to see for myself, and for other poeple If a quality build CAN be had on a budget.

I take pride in my mechanical skills (its my job) and I have a very good understaning of the way all of the systems involved work. Most of what can be fabricated will be. If it is somehting that I don not think my welder can handle, ill cut it/ tack it up and have the finish welds laid at a welding shop for saftey.

alright here we go! going to post pics as soon as it gets a little lighter out, and oging to the junk yard today for some things I need for the jeep (interior mostly) and to see if anyhting Is there that I can use.

xyimmyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyimmyx View Post
Well I got my new cherokee, which I will start collecting part for this week. Its a '88 with the renix fuel inj. Its got 156 K on her, I got her for 700 bux because the head gasket was shot. Fixed it up, go ther running right, now its time to lift it. I do not have a specific height in mind, or even tire size yet. As this IS a budget build thread, I will be using what available in my price range. This mean sthat I will probably be using alot of use parts, when I can, and buying on craigslist, etc. That being said, SAFETY IS MY NUMBER ONE CONCERN. Before anyone flames me I just want to say I will NOT be blocking this thing, or stacking spacers, or not SYE it or anyhting sketchy like that. It will be a wuiality complete job. I am on a budget right now as I am a student, and currenlty saving up to by my girlfreind and engament ring, so that number one as far as money goes right now. I wanted ot document this build because I see alot of shady build on here and unsafe things and I want to see for myself, and for other poeple If a quality build CAN be had on a budget.

I take pride in my mechanical skills (its my job) and I have a very good understaning of the way all of the systems involved work. Most of what can be fabricated will be. If it is somehting that I don not think my welder can handle, ill cut it/ tack it up and have the finish welds laid at a welding shop for saftey.

alright here we go! going to post pics as soon as it gets a little lighter out, and oging to the junk yard today for some things I need for the jeep (interior mostly) and to see if anyhting Is there that I can use.
trying to figure out this typo... wuiality???

anyways. PICS MAN, PICS! sounds cool lets get going.

-Sean
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #3
peleejosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89SAFARIXJ View Post
trying to figure out this typo... wuiality???

anyways. PICS MAN, PICS! sounds cool lets get going.

-Sean

I guess quality
peleejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

haha yea quality I am horrile at typing. Any ways just got back from the junk yard. Not much in the way of usable parts for the build. Did get some things I needed. Mainly a seat belt and a lift shock for the lift gate. I did see a 9 inch in a late 70's f 150 but the guy wanted 400 for it. Im sure I can do much better than that elsewhere. Im going to wash it right now since its the first day above 50 in a while and probably that last for a while so Ill take some pics after that.
Unread 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM   #5
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

not installing an SYE doesn't make a build "sketchy". It just depends on how high you're lifting the jeep. For example, I just installed a 3" RC kit, and came away with VERY little driveline vibes. Slight noise between 30-35mph, but that's it. If you end up goin over 3"-3.5", then yeah, I'd go with an SYE. A transfer case drop, while it may be a "band-aid" fix, might be all you need. The only way to tell will be after you're done with the lift.
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #6
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

yea thats what I meant. If you NEED a sye and dont do it thats sketchy. And at a certain point the t case drop isnt a good idea either, since it puts un even stress on the components in volved.
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #7
Amadeus3
1997 XJ Cherokee 

using lift blocks is fine as well as long as they are installed correctly and aren't excessively high. most lift kits come with a combination of add-a-leaf, extended shackle, and lift blocks. welding them to the axle is a good way to ensure that they stay put, the only place they are not to be used is the front axle due to the side loads the axle experiences during cornering.
Amadeus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 01:40 PM   #8
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the problem with blocks is that they multiply the torque of the axle on the springs, which causes axle wrap and can lead to premature spring failure. small blocks (1" or so) should be fine. the best kits do not come with blocks, they are only used in the cheaper kits to make them more affordable.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

if it came down to it i'd rather make a bastard pack then block it. GOing back out to finish cleaning the jeep right now jsut wanted to update that apparently at some point someone switched out the vac. dis. d30 for a non vac. dic. 30. SWEETTT
Unread 02-11-2009, 03:01 PM   #10
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

I'm curious why you emphasize safety? There are a few redneck lift set ups here, but I would say 99% of the people here have name brand lift products or have the knowledge to build something safely (IE- adding S-10 leaves, ZJ coil springs, so on).

Lifting a jeep without an SYE isn't unsafe. Its just not the MOST correct way to do it.

Sure there is DUMB stuff like bumper designs, but I haven't seen too many things on Jeepforum that are truly unsafe.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I emphasize saftey because suspension is in some ways the most important aspect of a car. It has to be reliable. If it breaks in the woods, sure its a pain in the *** but your probably ok, if it breaks on the road, oyu can kill yourself and who knows how many other drivers. Since this is also my DD I need somehting reliable and safe. Yea SYE kits arent a safety issue really I was thinking about the suspension more. And the ZJ ocil and s 10 springs can be done correctly. Now someone who just throws them on, doesnt lengthen the sway bar at all, or do somehting with the shocks, doesnt fix the steering as necessary, etc, thats when you have problems. I agree that most everyone on here has nice, complete buildc. Thats why I hang aournd here and not other boards. I didnt mean it as though people here arent safe or anyhting. I jsut wanted to see how tight my budget could be and how cheap I can accomplish this while still being complete and safe, so that if someone IS tight on money and wants a lift, they dont shortcut if they dont have too.
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

heres some pix of it as it is now. Not much but A good platform to build on.

The body is straight, some rust but nothing major and she runs good.
Unread 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM   #13
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyimmyx View Post
I emphasize saftey because suspension is in some ways the most important aspect of a car. It has to be reliable. If it breaks in the woods, sure its a pain in the *** but your probably ok, if it breaks on the road, oyu can kill yourself and who knows how many other drivers. Since this is also my DD I need somehting reliable and safe. Yea SYE kits arent a safety issue really I was thinking about the suspension more. And the ZJ ocil and s 10 springs can be done correctly. Now someone who just throws them on, doesnt lengthen the sway bar at all, or do somehting with the shocks, doesnt fix the steering as necessary, etc, thats when you have problems. I agree that most everyone on here has nice, complete buildc. Thats why I hang aournd here and not other boards. I didnt mean it as though people here arent safe or anyhting. I jsut wanted to see how tight my budget could be and how cheap I can accomplish this while still being complete and safe, so that if someone IS tight on money and wants a lift, they dont shortcut if they dont have too.
Well thats a good way to look at it, and I agree. If that's the case then I would say for your build focus on your steering geometry. Thats one of the most critical parts, and people overlook it sometimes.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:11 AM   #14
phenryiv1
1988 MJ Comanche 

Are you looking to ocnsider AALs, or just to do full replacement packs?

Have you thought about how high you want to go, or what size tires you want? If you don't know where you want to end up, we don't know how to get you there...
phenryiv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #15
xyimmyx
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have to do a little more budget figuring, see what in my price range, etc, then I will make a decision about height. I have decided taht the first thing I am going to make is a rear bumper. Seams out of oreder I know but as of now, I have no recovery point, and since I will be doine some light wheeling, driving on the beach before I coplete the project, I need to be able to be recovered. Im going to the steel place to price some stuff on saturday, and depending on teh cost will be buying then, or next wed on my day off. I will post tons of pics of the bumper fab.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.