My 98 XJ build. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My 98 XJ build.

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 01-02-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 98 XJ build.

Well, I thought I would chime in here and show my build from start to finish. I decided I wanted to go off-road and looked for a beater XJ, well I found an immaculate rust free 98 XJ with 115,000 miles for a price of $2500. I have been driving it now for three months without any major problems and it is so nice I have been on the fence on what to do. I want to do moderate off-road but still be able to drive on the street. Well I broke down last night and ordered all this from Jeep Outfitters and a few other places. Anyone see a problem with my purchases?

RE 4.5 Superflex w/ full springs with upgraded adjustable lower control arms, HD trackbar and mount.

OME Shocks

RE steering stabilizer

RE HackNTap with driveshaft

rear Powertrax no slip locker.

C4x4 tapered winch bumper
C4x4 Rear bumper
C4x4 3/16" rock rails

Smittybuilt XRC8 winch

Maxxis Bighorn's in 32 x 11.50 x 15 (going to try and run these on my factory ECCO rims) may need spacer?

Rusty's exhaust with flowmaster 40 series.

So I will start the tear down tonight, and everything should be shipping shortly. I will post pictures as they are taken

I fixed my leaky valve cover last night and was amazed at how clean the inside of the motor was, no buildup what so ever. I guess the only thing I fear now is broken bolts from the shocks or leafs, but my car is rust free so I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited by tntempest; 02-01-2008 at 07:39 PM..
tntempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Miami_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

i only have a 2wd 2 door but dang that sounds like it's going to turn out really nice..im lookin forward to pics for sure
Miami_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:19 PM   #3
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Okay here are the pics I promised a long time ago. The lift is on except one shock that our brilliant friends at RE backordered along with my driveshaft for my sye. With the lift and new tires I currently sit 7.5" front and 8.5" rear higher. I also installed a Rusty's super 40 flowmaster kit that installed in about 5 minutes. The powertrax no slip is installed also in the rear. I am now looking at an Aussie for the front. None of the c4x4 bumpers, rock rails, cb or winch are yet installed. Give me a week or two. Oh and I did manage to break all 4 shock bolts, but using the air hammer and 1/4" x 20 x 1" bolts are what you need.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Last edited by tntempest; 01-28-2008 at 05:31 PM..
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:22 PM   #4
mickdawg777
1995 XJ Cherokee 

SO, did you wind up having to use spacers to keep the tires away from the rear leaves?

That is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always manage to buy absolute junk and putting tons of $$$ in it. No such thing as a good deal.
mickdawg777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #5
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

No there is about 3/4"" clearance. I did purchase some 1 1/4" spacers to put me at the "optimal" 4.0 b.s.. I am going to flex it and see what happens and then put them only if needed.

Last edited by tntempest; 01-28-2008 at 05:19 PM..
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:37 PM   #6
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

wheres your other shock?

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #7
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That thing is begging to be taken out on the trails.

Nice Job!

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
CheyenneK5
1989 XJ Cherokee 

nice looking XJ ...where in chattanooga are you?....east ridge here

The Comments made by this Person are in NO way meant to Offend anyone, they are the opinions of a single person and if they piss you off then sorry about your luck
CheyenneK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #9
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Ask Rubicon express where my 4th shock is, they backordered one shock and my SYE driveshaft. I would have rather they sent only the front or backs, but to leave one out is just stupid. They left out some hardware for the kit and the zerk fittings for the lower control arms. Also one of their 10.8 M10 x 3 1/2" bolts that is suppose to connect the upper arm to the axle broke at 50 ft pounds, had a big chunk of bad steel at the breaking point, must be using low cost china bolts. They said all the backordered parts will be here on Friday. Overall I was impressed with the build quality of the kit. The instructions suck, they need to put all the torque values so you don't have to have the factory manual. Also on the HD track bar it leaves out that you have to drill out the lower mount to 1/2" to accept the new bolt. It may be that they upgraded that bolt and haven't changed the instructions. Still I think a 5 year old could write better instructions, I guess that is why there are so many online write ups. I was looking at the Aussie site and under instructions they have a link to a Jeepforum
sticky. I live in North Red Bank near the intersection of 153 and 27
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anybody ever had trouble getting the sway bar lower bolts out of the front end.
I am about to install the RE quick disco's and the lower bolt seems to be pressed
in. I havent really tried anything but beating on them, I know they have to come out. Any help?
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #11
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntempest
Anybody ever had trouble getting the sway bar lower bolts out of the front end.
I am about to install the RE quick disco's and the lower bolt seems to be pressed
in. I havent really tried anything but beating on them, I know they have to come out. Any help?
pb blaster? heat?

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:29 PM   #12
XJ2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Heat them up, ALOT.... then start knocking at them with a heavier hammer. They were pressed in and star shaped also, so they're pretty hard to get out, but with some convincing you should be ok.

If you don't have a torch or anything stop at Home Depot/Loews and pick up one of the portable bunsen burner types for like 20 bucks, it'll do the trick.

Trail Rig: 2000 XJ w/ 4.5" RE SF, Locked XJ D44 Rear, Locked D30, and a bunch of other things

Pavement Pounder: 2001 XJ Daily Driver, 2" BB, 245/70R16 AT's on Moabs
XJ2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:54 PM   #13
JohnnyX
1999 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.co...r_endlinks.htm
North Jersey Jeep Club Member- #83
www.northjerseyjeepclub.org
the rig:
http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/8980/jeep2xq0.jpg
CHECK OUT MY BAND- www.myspace.com/myrtleave
JohnnyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM   #14
tntempest
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the rocklizards link, If RE wants to stay in the lead they need info like this.

First impressions of driving the XJ on the road.
At this height the SYE is an absolute must with some vibes, and my rear driveshaft now sounds horrible when I let off the gas. Like a teriible grating sound. I had a strange sound before the lift at low speeds and never could find it now I know what it was. As for the 32's and 3:55 gears all is well. The truck has a lot more power than I expected from some people's comments. It could still blow away my 02 4runner. I can believe that a regear over 32" would be warranted. I have not heard much out of the powertrax, but the driveshaft is so loud right now.
The Maxxis tires are great and are very quiet at 70 and balanced awesome. I think I am rubbing on the drivers side with the wheel turned right in reverse.
Ride is firm but not too bad, still short a shock so it might get firmer, but the springs are still breaking in also.
Rustys cat back system sounds awesome at idle and is not loud at all driving around.
If I can get it aligned I think I will be very happy with the on road manners, then I can try her off road.
I also looked for a used 32 11.50 spare, found a few all terrains $50 installed but no MT's, but for a spare it may work.
Unread 01-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
cherokeewes
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you drill a little ways into the sway bar bolts, they will collapse and fall right out.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.