MY '98 Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > MY '98 Build Thread

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #1
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

MY '98 Build Thread

Well, seeing as how I've owned the XJ since 2003 and have ever so slowly been doing stuff to it, I figured now was as good a time as any to start my own build thread. Besides, it's been paid off for almost a year so I have no excuses for NOT building it up right? Right...

First thing I did when I bought it was to throw on some recovery gear so I went with a set of Custom 4x4 tow hooks and brackets and a hidden hitch for the back.

After that I was pretty unhappy with the output of the stock Wagner’s so I went out and picked up a set of Silverstars and I’m impressed. I’ve been running them for close to 4 years now and they’ve never even hiccupped.

Figured I could use a fire extinguisher so I went out and picked one up for cheap. A little two and a half pounder fits perfectly in the rear cubby.

When I bought the Jeep I threw my old Sony deck from my Grand Am in but I got tired of it eventually so when I was in Little Rock last October, I picked up a Pioneer DEH-P6900UB USB deck, a pair of 6 1/2” Pioneer components and a pair of Pioneer 6 1/2” coaxial’s from Circuit City to take care of that problem. When I was overseas last Christmas, my gift to myself was a Pioneer GM-6300F 4-Channel amp as well. Threw it all together once I got home and it sounds 10x better than all the stock crap ever did.

My carpeted floor mats eventually packed it in so I sprung for a set of Husky floor liners from the front. If anybody ever needs good floor mats, BUY THESE!!!! They’re a bit on the spendy side but they work great for keeping snow/mud/guck/anything you want out of your carpet.

My battery died last year so I went out to Wally World and picked up an Optima Blue Top for WAY too much money. Noticed right away how much quicker the Jeep turns over and starts and haven’t had problem since.

After I got back from my third trip overseas, I decided it was time to lift it so a quick trip to Jason’s website (www.jeepinoutfitters.com) and my lift kit was on its way. I picked up the Rubicon Express 3.5” Superflex kit with the spring packs and opted for the adjustable lower control arms and OME shocks. I picked up an SYE kit and a JKS trackbar while I was at it so I could do everything at once. As for tires, I picked up a set of 15x8 black steelies and a set of 31” Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ’s. They work really well offroad as well as on the street. I’ve put 20,000km on them so far and they still have the little rubber nubs on the treads. I didn’t have enough money at the time for a custom driveshaft so off to the wreckers I went and grabbed a front shaft from an automatic, replaced the u-joints and called it a day. I didn’t feel like modifying the stock brake lines, so I went to the parts store and grabbed a set of YJ brake lines and they swapped right in with no trouble so now I have a TON of room when I go bigger.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

C4x4 Front Tow Hooks/Rear Hidden Hitch[/CENTER][/SIZE]
xjguy98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The other day I was bored so I went and removed my white “Sport” stickers from both front fenders because the one on the left was half gone and it would have gotten in the way of this:

Also, installed some Ninja's to distract the passengers from all the noises the Jeep makes that the stereo can't cover up.

That’s about all I have done to it at this point. Next step……ARMOR!!!!!!
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:19 PM   #3
XJRidinHigh
2000 WJ 

Next step.....bigger lift, quick disco, steering stabilizer and spacers!

[B]'00 WJ[/B]-Tan
Cocked and Loaded ([B]DD[/B])
XJRidinHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Oh yeah forgot to mention, when I got the lift, it came with the Gen II disco's and I grabbed an OME steering stab to go with the shocks....bigger lift I agree though, 6" long-arm perhaps?
Unread 05-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
sean883
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Nice jeep, and the ninjas are awesome.
sean883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't really done too much lately. Been reading up on different oil and filters so I'm gonna switch from the K&N filter to a Baldwin and see what happens if it filters any better. Also gonna switch from Castrol 10W-30 Hi-Mileage to Valvoline 15W-40 All Fleet Plus diesel oil and see if there's much of a difference. The engine has about 212000km on it and it's a bit noisy. I know most 4.0L's are loud but I wanna see if I can quiet things down a bit and reduce some seepage issues with the seals. Replaced my header panel back in May and just replaced the evaporator and heater core (though it leaks....it's bypassed for the time being until I have time to tear everything down again and find out why it's leaking) As for what's next? No idea......need to pay down the credit card some then maybe armor?
Unread 08-11-2008, 12:38 AM   #7
broncofire75
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How'd you remove the SPORT stickers?

I need to on mine. Look out of place with the black trim and flares and red body.
-Shaved 8.25 w/HD shafts/Auburn LS/4:10s, HP30 w/ Lock-right, sliders, HD track bar bracket, AA SYE, AppA TC skid, AFE intake, Magnaflow exhaust, Bored TB-
broncofire75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I just used a heat gun and a putty knife. I ended up scraping the paint in a couple of spots cuz I didn't take my time but if you go slow, they'll just peel off. Once the sticker part is off, get some Goo-Gone or something and remove the adhesive. Mine looked out of place too. White stickers, blue body, black trim......didn't mesh well enough for me
Unread 08-11-2008, 01:36 PM   #9
yingpin
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't mind me asking, How much does it cost to lift a 98XJ with the setup you ran? I am thinking about switching to a 98XJ and want to know if I can afford to lift it. I have 33x12.5 tires but dont know how big I need to go yet to fit them.

I am trying to get a rough idea of how much XJ lifts run total to get clearance for 31's or 33's

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/9...tation-971709/
yingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #10
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

For a set of 31's, you'll be fine with 3.5" of lift. To run 33's without rubbing I'd say 4.5" with trimming or even 5.5" or 6" Check out www.jeepinoutfitters.com Jason's a member/vendor on here and he set me up with everything for much cheaper than it would have been had I bought it all myself. IIRC the lift was about $700 but then you have to add in a trackbar, shocks, SYE kit, brakelines. I think with EVERYTHING, it ran me close to $2500 but it's been on for a year, rides better than stock, handles better than stock....I love it, only problem is, now it's time to go bigger
Unread 11-17-2008, 03:30 PM   #11
xjguy98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

**UPDATE**

It's been a few months since I'd done anything, so I decided to go to the wreckers and see what I could dig up. Ended up finding a '97 Country with everything so I picked up as much as I could off it before anyone else got to it. SOOOO I've since upgraded to:

a pair of power heated mirrors to replace my power non-heated ones. pretty easy to install since all the wiring for heat is already there. just take the door panels off, unbolt the old mirrors, bolt the new ones in, plug everything back in, install the door panels and you're done. they look the same only difference is the little "heated" symbol on the mirror glass.

also picked up an overhead console, wiring and bracket from the 97 but I still have to get around to installing it. I have to switch one plug in the righthand kickpanel area from 98 to 97 but everything else works. I installed the temp sensor last week behind the front bumper so all that's left is the console itself and the wiring.

picked up some bodyside molding to replace a couple of wrecked pieces

grabbed a headlamp delay module to replace the one that was removed but never replaced. now it works nicely.

I was getting annoyed at night sifting through my glove box looking for my iPod and not being able to see anything so I grabbed a glove box lamp and wiring since mine never came with it. as far as I know, only the 97's and down came with this. the hole is there but it's not wired up for it.

and finally, everything needed to install cruise control in a 98. I grabbed the servo and cable assembly, steering wheel switches and wiring, a new clockspring and a new airbag. pretty simple installation really. under the hood is easy, just bolt the bracket to the right fender behind the battery and plug it in, run the cable to the throttle body and snap it into place and you're done under the hood. with the steering wheel, pull the old airbag off, pull the steering wheel, swap in the new clockspring, installed the wheel, installed your switches and wiring harness, install your airbag and voila! you should now have cruise!

I was gonna pick up the fancy door panels and the leather seats from the 97 but they were all pretty thrashed so I passed. I'm planning on putting in some WJ seats anyway this winter so the XJ seats would have been a waste and the power seat base from the XJ looked pretty rough.

I also bought a 4-hole switch panel for the fog light and extended idle switches. the fog light wiring is there all the way to the main connector under the airbox. from there I had to wire it up. just snap the switch into the bezel, plug it in, wire up your lights and your set.

for the extended idle, it was a bit trickier. i had to file off the key tab on the switch body to allow it to fit into the switch panel. then i had an extra fog light pigtail that i had to grind another keyway off so it would fit the switch. once that was done, i tapped into the ground and illumination circuits from the other switches. I ran a length of wire from the PCM to the switch and then tapped into my fused ignition circuit from my heater box. once that was done, I tidied everything up and put it back together now it works like a charm. hit the switch and my idle hovers around 1100RPM and I've already noticed that it heats up a lot quicker in the morning. Here's some pics of the finished product.

I was bored one day so I decided to repaint my cluster needles because they were faded, it was raining out and I was bored stiff. took an hour.

Anyways, that's pretty much it for now. I'm gonna rewire the fog lights so they run off a relay under the hood instead of the factory wiring through the switch. I figure I'll get brighter lights and it'll extend the life of the switch. After that I'm probly gonna rewire the headlights using FitchVA's writeup. Already have the Silverstars so hopefully it'll give me more light than I already have. I almost picked up a rear 44 out of an 05 Rubicon but they jacked the price up to $1500 for just the axle and wouldn't budge so I said screw it.....I'll hold out for a decent XJ 44

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.