My 1998 Jeep xj won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My 1998 Jeep xj won't start

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-02-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
wheeliedealie

My 1998 Jeep xj won't start

I've changed out the cap and rotor, found out my battery was bad so i changed that but still no help, shift it into natural and tried but no luck, tried jumping the starter with a screw driver that didn't work, its getting fuel to the engine so its not in the fuel system.. I am just lost.. It just cranks and cranks but it doesn't start.. HELP!

wheeliedealie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
wheeliedealie

I think it might be a sensor now but i don't even know what one to check.. I hear a lot about this damn crank sensor?
Unread 09-02-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fuel + spark (plus compression and air) = start.

You need to determine what part of the above equation you are missing. Do not assume anything and don't throw parts at this. It's terribly inefficient and expensive.

Pull a spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the spark plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. If you have no spark, then a crankshaft position sensor is a possibility. But so is the ignition coil and a few other things.

IF spark checks out okay (and only if), then try introducing a small splash of gasoline or a shot of starting fluid into the intake. If the engine runs for a few seconds with this technique, you have clearly identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

The above two things are easy to do and will help you ISOLATE the root cause of your problem. Start there.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
wheeliedealie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Fuel + spark (plus compression and air) = start.

You need to determine what part of the above equation you are missing. Do not assume anything and don't throw parts at this. It's terribly inefficient and expensive.

Pull a spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the spark plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. If you have no spark, then a crankshaft position sensor is a possibility. But so is the ignition coil and a few other things.

IF spark checks out okay (and only if), then try introducing a small splash of gasoline or a shot of starting fluid into the intake. If the engine runs for a few seconds with this technique, you have clearly identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

The above two things are easy to do and will help you ISOLATE the root cause of your problem. Start there.
Yeah 99% sure its the crank sensor.. No spark, checked my coil with a meter and it checked out fine. So i'll find out tomorrow a buddy of mine works at a auto place so i can get the sensor for 56 bucks new which isn't so bad.

Tags
start problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.