JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   My 1998 Jeep xj won't start (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/my-1998-jeep-xj-wont-start-1412585/)

wheeliedealie 09-02-2012 03:42 AM

My 1998 Jeep xj won't start

I've changed out the cap and rotor, found out my battery was bad so i changed that but still no help, shift it into natural and tried but no luck, tried jumping the starter with a screw driver that didn't work, its getting fuel to the engine so its not in the fuel system.. I am just lost.. It just cranks and cranks but it doesn't start.. HELP!

wheeliedealie 09-02-2012 03:48 AM

I think it might be a sensor now but i don't even know what one to check.. I hear a lot about this damn crank sensor?

tjwalker 09-02-2012 07:00 AM

Fuel + spark (plus compression and air) = start.

You need to determine what part of the above equation you are missing. Do not assume anything and don't throw parts at this. It's terribly inefficient and expensive.

Pull a spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the spark plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. If you have no spark, then a crankshaft position sensor is a possibility. But so is the ignition coil and a few other things.

IF spark checks out okay (and only if), then try introducing a small splash of gasoline or a shot of starting fluid into the intake. If the engine runs for a few seconds with this technique, you have clearly identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

The above two things are easy to do and will help you ISOLATE the root cause of your problem. Start there.

wheeliedealie 09-03-2012 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwalker (Post 14109389)
Fuel + spark (plus compression and air) = start.

You need to determine what part of the above equation you are missing. Do not assume anything and don't throw parts at this. It's terribly inefficient and expensive.

Pull a spark plug. Keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the spark plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine over while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine. If you have no spark, then a crankshaft position sensor is a possibility. But so is the ignition coil and a few other things.

IF spark checks out okay (and only if), then try introducing a small splash of gasoline or a shot of starting fluid into the intake. If the engine runs for a few seconds with this technique, you have clearly identified a "fuel delivery" problem.

The above two things are easy to do and will help you ISOLATE the root cause of your problem. Start there.

Yeah 99% sure its the crank sensor.. No spark, checked my coil with a meter and it checked out fine. So i'll find out tomorrow a buddy of mine works at a auto place so i can get the sensor for 56 bucks new which isn't so bad.

The time now is 04:05 PM.