My '01 Build, "Dee" the Patriot Blue XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > My '01 Build, "Dee" the Patriot Blue XJ

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTrick Tabs - NalinMFG.comECGS American Made Stub Shafts

Unread 07-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My '01 Build, "Dee" the Patriot Blue XJ

Table of contents (abridged):
Page, content.
1 - Old Photos and first "wheelin" experience
3 - planning, dent pulling
5 - darkening trim pieces
6 - Extended Idle Switch; Bumper Light Wiring; CB mounting
7 - Aux Fan Switch; CB Antenna
8 - rear bumpstops, fan shroud, A/C to OBA
9 - Replacement CB'
10 - Gas Hood Strut, Monroe Air Shocks, Bumper Pictures
11 - AJ's Bumper Install
12- OBA Hardline Upgrade, Drivers Seat Mod
13 - Rear Bumper/Carrier Start
14 - Transmission Temp Gauge Part 1
16 - Bumper Build End
17 - Quick Disconnects Round 2
19 - XRC-8 and mount
21 - New lift, Crossmember mod
22 - Oil Filter O-rings, ZJ Rear Brakes
23- Rear axle seals, ZJ Proportioning valve, Frame Stiffeners

Bought her in march of 2008. A stock 2001 Cherokee Sport, with the "Quick Order Package" so I had Cruise control, Power windows/locks, rear wiper ETC. She had 103,000 miles, and no major problems. Needed a new water pump, and had a leaky valve cover gasket.
Here is the factory sticker (click to go to full size):

I have named her "Dee" after my mother who died of breast cancer when I was 4. I thought that I should do something so I still have her with me.

Two days after we got her registered we had our second only real snow of the season. So naturally I (having the only 4wd of my friends (or car for that matter)0 had some fun driving around when others couldn't.

Had a fairly clean engine, but this picture is the only evidence that shows it evre had a fan shroud, I don't really know what happened to it (im guessing when i had the water pump replaced, the mech forgot it)

Only thing i could find to flex on was a pile of gravel, sway bars connected with stock tires.

No pictures, but I got new 235/75/15 Firestone Destination AT tires that I like, and a 2" BB of a short AAL (mistake, but its a learning experience right?) and spacers. This is the only real after photo (coming back from classes):

Made some disconnects and added some cheap lights that are more for looks than anything.

Flexed the new tires, and disconnects... that was the biggest log I could find, and was all I really had...

Went camping and had an epic bonfire... Those are 4X8 pallets BTW.

Very epic 2 day storm did a lot of damage to trees and stuff!

Made a rooftop tire carrier. I havn't really used it, but I have it if I need it.

_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

Last edited by Kettles; 08-13-2010 at 09:32 AM..
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Added a simple box to store all the stuff I like to carry. Under the seat isn't big enough.

Bad photo, but attached a power inverter.. I have been thinkingabout painting it. Boy did she need a vacuum, look at that carpet!

Dropped the old exhaust in favor of a cat back from rusty's offroad. Thats a cherrybomb pro.

Removed the Jeep logo that was messed up and put a new one on, along with a tranny cooler because I overheated the tranny a little in SC.

Fixed the rear dome light. Ran a new power wire because the old one had a short, so someone had cut it.

Hopefully whenever my stuff gets here, I will add in extended rear stops, and new full length AAL's! It has been almost a month, so I emailed the places for a status update, no response yet. When I get my KEES money rebate after school starts again, I plan on some 31" Treadwrights. Not sure on which ones to get though, the ATB's are more practical for what I do, but I like the MTG's a lot.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

Last edited by Kettles; 08-13-2010 at 09:27 AM..
Unread 07-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #3
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Oh I forgot to add it in in the right spot, I had gotten a rear hitch a bit after I bought it, and then a front hitch for recovery.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-24-2009, 05:45 PM   #4
the6nightmares
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I like the rectangular lights on the bumper, I've got round ones, but those look nice, flow with the XJs style
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I like them too.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:14 PM   #6
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good. Just curious, did the tranny cooler bring your engine temps down any? I know it doesn't affect the cooling system for the engine, but wondered if the cooler tranny temps helped with the engine coolant.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Lookin good...Is that the B&M tranny cooler?

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #8
grnjp88
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How difficult was the tranny cooler install? Any more pics of installation?

I'm planning on doing this to my '96 as I will be using it for towing.

Looking good so far.
Unread 07-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #9
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

It was really simple, I was apprehensive cutting into the hardline to install it, but it was no problem. I think i included a mini writeup on my tranny overheat thread, Ill see if I can find it. I could go into detail if you need. I used a pipe cutter to cut the hard line return from the rad, and then the supplied hose fit perfectly over it and clamped it down.

It is a Hayden, the only brand I saw at pepboys.

I havn't noticed any real change in engine temps, other than that I havn't overheated it again.

Edit: this has some pics of hooking it up about halfway down. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...=799105&page=2
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-25-2009, 12:22 AM   #10
D-BOI
2001 XJ Cherokee 

shES a beauty and that tranny cooler is my next project at hand
D-BOI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:06 PM   #11
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Went wheeling finally. What an unforgettable experience. Not the fact that it was awesome, but the fact that I misjudged the camber of a corner, and kinda got stuck in a bad situation. Ended up with a small 1.5" tree keeping me from sliding down a 10 foot "cliff", or rolling over down it. Had to get a tractor to come pull me out, but it almost slid down too. Ended up having to do a sideways pull, sortof, and pulled me straight sideways back onto the trail. The mud made that possible, but if it was dry i wouldn't have gotten stuck in the first place.
Pics:
Poor tree, came out OK though.

Strap in the back was making sure she didn't slide down anymore while we waited for rescue. Was worse than it looks.

After having an interesting time getting me back on the trail, I wasn't about to try and finish it, so I pulled up, made a slippery 3 point turn, and then got pulled back through to go back, it was pretty bad, and Ill certainly never ever go somewhere I havn't walked first again. We looked at it, and it looked doable, but if you walked on this corner, it wasn't. Coming back I was slipping sideways, getting pulled, and slid the right side across 2 big trees that kept me out of the valley.

After shot

Interesting enough the only damage was from the little tree, it bent the front quarter panel in, and now my drivers door wont open all the way, because it catches on there, and if you forced it, it would bend it more. Also the B and C pillars on the passenger side got scuffed a little from the trees i got pulled across coming back, but I bet if I washed it you wouldn't notice (you certainly don't muddy). I was worried it would have dented the doors because it slid into it, but the angle of the trail made it hit the gutter and roof area, not the door face.

There are more pictures in my picasa album. I photograph the bend and see if anyone has a easy idea to fix it tomorow. If it isn't easily fixable I will just let it bend i guess.

Next purchases are: 31" MT's from treadwright, and a winch. No question... and i probably wont wheel again until I get those. Once I got it back in the right direction, I was severely relived, and then I could reflect on how much fun I actually had. At one point waiting for the tracter I was almost crying and about to throw up. Just butterflies and adrenaline though. Please don't hate on me, I certainly made a mistake I will never do again.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kettles; 07-25-2009 at 09:52 PM..
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:15 PM   #12
Jon00XJ

Just go slow take your time until you get used to off roading and your Jeep. It all will come in good time. Now get back out there and conquer that hill without any new upgrades
Jon00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for your support, I was doing fine up until then, I conquered some awesome hill with a curve in the middle and 2 trees to go though that I only had line 4-5" on either side. I really did surprise myself what that baby could do, but AT's are no MT's...
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:26 PM   #14
Jon00XJ

It takes time to learn anything. Just make sure you got a decent spotter with you at all times that knows what they are doing. That's the way I learned. Eventually you learn you and your Jeeps limits and it wont be so nerve racking.

Oh and about the AT's. Do you air down?
Jon00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #15
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

No way to air back up, so no. Still dont think that would have helped, I might as well have been running drag slicks if you saw my tread full of mud, lol. I freak out easily, but I only did here because of the steep incline I ended up hanging off of. Was not a good spot for recovery, as the only real way to get me out was forward, but we couldn't get the tractor to the front, because of the terrain. Ended up running the chains around a tree, and attached to my rear hitch, and then my strap to a tree and the front hitch. Then the tractor drove away (the opposite direction), and then to pull me foreward, and sideways.
Pardon my crude drawing:

Blue is jeep, red is tractor, yellow, my strap, black, chain.

Worked really well actually, man can a tractor pull. Not the best way to use a tree by any means, but given the lack of any other option other than leaving it and coming back when it was dry and hoping for the best. I hope no vegetation conscious people get mad, I didn't have another option. A winch at my front would have had me out no problem, and I would have kept going. The first attempt to pull me by the tractor actually pulled me more off the edge.

Good thing I had front and rear hitches, Even tow hooks wouldn't have worked, lol.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kettles; 07-25-2009 at 09:16 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.