Mustang injectors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Mustang injectors?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-06-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Mustang injectors?

OK so I have been reading about instlling mustang injectors in to renix engines...

what are the benifits to doing so? Will I get better MPG, HP or what.

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnphreak View Post
OK so I have been reading about instlling mustang injectors in to renix engines...

There are 4 "holes" instead of 1 on the bottom of the Mustang 5.0 Injector, to better atomize the fuel, therefore, better, more even combustion. You may get smoother response, but not much MPG increase, if any.
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
wessker96
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Talk to 88XJSport he knows i think its due to an ineffective design of the injectors where the body itself starts to leak then when you go to work on them the others will get damaged and do the same just by pulling them out ( i have done this on 2 87's I know one was leaking replaced that one and the 3 more will start) But the #19 5.0 fuel injector is the same fuel flow but made of something different that doesnt have the known issue as the ones currently in your jeep. So you can fix and or repair without having to replace all the next time you work on them, (remember to change the seals anytime you replace them) Best answer i can give you which seems from past experience right. Wish I would of known this answer the first time this happened but your fuel injectors will leak one day that is a def with the current design. Thanks for 88XJSport for telling me and I see his post lol way to go hes on it hope i summed it up ok.

Membership courtesy of Fletch
wessker96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:25 PM   #4
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJSport View Post
There are 4 "holes" instead of 1 on the bottom of the Mustang 5.0 Injector, to better atomize the fuel, therefore, better, more even combustion. You may get smoother response, but not much MPG increase, if any.
Sounds reasonabel enough to try it out
tnanks

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnphreak View Post

In installed them in my '88 4.0L a couple of years ago. The engine idles much more smoothly, runs better, has more power. MPG, however, was negatively affected; it went down slightly, not up.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #6
QuarterHorse
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88XJSport View Post
OEM Ford injectors don't have these 4 holes, only the single hole right after the needle. A/M injectors I've seen have them, but OE Ford orange top injectors that were in the Fox body Mustangs or the "5.0" were not like that.

Jeep-less at the moment
'92 Mustang Coupe - It's Mustang stock....
QuarterHorse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #7
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks wessker96

Again...this is all from what Ive read. I personally didn't use 5.0 injectors. I have a problem with putting any "used" mechanical parts, especially engine management parts on my XJ, I bought 6 new 88 Cherokee Injectors for $297. Engine runs much smoother than before, better pickup, and no MPG loss, like I would have if I used 5.0 injectors. If I was up to it, I would have bought NEW 5.0 injectors. But I wasnt about to pay 129 a piece.
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:38 PM   #8
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterHorse View Post
OEM Ford injectors don't have these 4 holes, only the single hole right after the needle. A/M injectors I've seen have them, but OE Ford orange top injectors that were in the Fox body Mustangs or the "5.0" were not like that.
I am writing based on what Ive heard...

You make sense though...because my brand new 88 Cherokee injectors had 4 holes.
Unread 01-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
QuarterHorse
XJ Cherokee 

I'm just telling you what I've pulled off of my fair share of Mustangs/Lightnings.

Jeep-less at the moment
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:32 PM   #10
88xjchief
1989 MJ Comanche 

I used 4.6L injectors off a crown vic. They were rebuilt with new screens. For $30 I couldnt go wrong. Deffinitly a lot smoother.
Red Jeep club #419
88xjchief is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #11
QuarterHorse
XJ Cherokee 

Yeah when you get into 03 Cobra injectors they get a little different and are a "39.5" injector but closer to a 42.

Jeep-less at the moment
Unread 01-06-2009, 07:11 PM   #12
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Here's a closeup of the orange tops (OK, orange bottoms) I got on ebay from a 5.0. I did not notice any mileage drop after the replacement. It's been a couple of years now that I've been running them.

Of course, the black one is the original.

Saudade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2009, 09:11 PM   #13
AznDrgn

Check this out
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/upgrade-bosch-design-3-injectors-658611/
'83 Porsche 944 2.5L - Sold
'78 Porsche 924NA 2.0L - RIP
AznDrgn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 07:19 PM   #14
ecgtech
1989 XJ Cherokee 

You can find the 19# mustang injectors on ebay for pretty cheap. I just got a set of 8 for less than 50 bucks. The inherent benefit for me of the new injectors is that they have a superior design to the RENIX injectors that I was running. My RENIX injectors leaked really bad, so my mileage went up, barely, because all of the fuel i pumped was actually getting from the rail to the combustion chamber and not leaking out.
ecgtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
nrpalmer32
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I purchased this set of Mustang Injectors. I paid a little more, $139, for the set but thats because I like the remanufactured process and the testing process. Also this is a set of 8, always nice to have a spare or two, especially when injectors are so small and not noticeable in a bag. But this is a 4-hole design on these

I haven't got to install them yet, but seemed like a good deal. When I received them they were packaged very nicely and came with o-rings, even have little plastic "cups" on the ends to protect the o-rings. I am always iffy on buying something so cheap off of ebay, like the $20 deals, so this seemed like a good choice.
nrpalmer32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.