Motor moving forward when accelerating - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Motor moving forward when accelerating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 05-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #91
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

97Hero with new engine mounts and t case mounts I see no way that even jabbing the skinny pedal would move the engine forward enough to hit the e fan All of the XJs I have owned will take all the abuse I can throw at them off road and never hit the fans or shrouds. In your OP you said that the PO had deployed the air bag which if the front cross member and uni body are out of alignment could cause your problem. If I recall correctly you have pretty much had the XJ for around a month and the problem has been there since your buying it. It might be time to take it to a frame shop to have it checked out.

buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:14 PM   #92
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin1XJ View Post
97Hero with new engine mounts and t case mounts I see no way that even jabbing the skinny pedal would move the engine forward enough to hit the e fan All of the XJs I have owned will take all the abuse I can throw at them off road and never hit the fans or shrouds. In your OP you said that the PO had deployed the air bag which if the front cross member and uni body are out of alignment could cause your problem. If I recall correctly you have pretty much had the XJ for around a month and the problem has been there since your buying it. It might be time to take it to a frame shop to have it checked out.
Really good point..

I just looked at the pics you posted. I would change the motor and trans mount first thing. Do a visual inspection really well, you should be able to see if something is broken or loose.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #93
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
Really good point..

I just looked at the pics you posted. I would change the motor and trans mount first thing. Do a visual inspection really well, you should be able to see if something is broken or loose.
97Hero has already changed T & motor mounts. I have to believe that his problem is due to front end damage/misalignment of the uni-body. When you take a decent Jeep and give it a good thrashing in the woods up or down hill I've never rubbed even a fan shroud unless I broke an engine mount. If the rear end was shoving forward that much he would have a really F----- up exhaust manifold.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #94
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1

Maybe the mounts are not the problem .. maybe your engine needs a little love... My jeep is super smooth and even idles very well ...

You probably have some other issues and they just show more with the mounts. I have no vibe problems at all.
Lmao. Some $17 dollar oem style mounts and the vibes were gone. Quite amazing what some RUBBER can do. Don't tell me what my engine needs either. It doesn't have 186k miles on it from not maintaining it.
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:44 PM   #95
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
97Hero has already changed T & motor mounts. I have to believe that his problem is due to front end damage/misalignment of the uni-body. When you take a decent Jeep and give it a good thrashing in the woods up or down hill I've never rubbed even a fan shroud unless I broke an engine mount. If the rear end was shoving forward that much he would have a really F----- up exhaust manifold.
I totally agree with everything you just said. However, If it was the uni-body bent, the engine would be in the wrong position all the time, it would not cause movement. Something must be loose or broken to allow the movement. I would think the motor mount would be the likely problem, but you can be able to see if it is broken. Or maybe the fan is moving .. I didn't read the thread so I dont know if he was seeing other sings of movement
Unread 05-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #96
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1 View Post
I totally agree with everything you just said. However, If it was the uni-body bent, the engine would be in the wrong position all the time, it would not cause movement. Something must be loose or broken to allow the movement. I would think the motor mount would be the likely problem, but you can be able to see if it is broken. Or maybe the fan is moving .. I didn't read the thread so I dont know if he was seeing other sings of movement
Read the complete thread, The man needs help. That is what makes this forum so great. I'm hoping that some of the BIG XJ builders will come and chime in soon. I do not know everything by any means. Come on guys give the man some support.
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #97
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well looks like the bottom drivers section of the rad has been pushed back some...someone did a great job replacing the whole front clip, grill, bumper etc. that it's hard to see but where the bumper connects to the frame has been bent back enough to hook the bumper up all nice and straight, looks fixable the rest of the frame looks fine...
97hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #98
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ill read the whole thread tomorrow at work .... But how do your mounts look?
Unread 05-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #99
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I think we may have just found your problem area. I would now suggest taking it to a frame alignment shop unless you feel comfortable using a porta - power jack to move your frame around. I have come to this conclusion because in your OP you did say that the drivers side air bag was deployed.
Good Luck and let us know what you find.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:01 PM   #100
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to all for the feedback...and buildin1XJ, you hit it on the head, I have a friend with a shop that can help me out with the frame... I will definitely post back and let you all know how it goes.
Unread 05-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #101
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to help and hang in there with you, really hope that is the answer to your problem.
Unread 05-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #102
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Glad to help and hang in there with you, really hope that is the answer to your problem.
This is why i love JF .. it has helped me several times too
Unread 05-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #103
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Update...removed everything upfront (grill, bumper, rad etc.) to get to the damaged part of the frame better, after inspecting it in more detail it wasnt as bad as originally thought and was really only the part that the bumper connects to...but the rad was bent at the bottom inward toward the motor about an inch and the driveline was binding up do to the S shaped leaf springs and pushing the trans & engine forward about a half inch or so also the replacement fan housing was about 3/4 of an inch thicker than the OEM fan...so all of this coupled together was my enemy...kind of a "perfect storm" senario...but in the end all is good and works great!!!! I would like to again send a big THANKS!!!!! to all that stuck in there with me and helped get this figured out.
Unread 05-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #104
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you got it.
Unread 06-06-2013, 05:24 AM   #105
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

yea man .. solid work .. thats really good tech

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.