Motor moving forward when accelerating - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Motor moving forward when accelerating

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM   #76
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Everybody says that then half of them complain about vibes and take them back out.
oh man I LOOOOOOOVE mine ... I did the brown dogs and a trans mount at the same time and it was such a big difference .. Everthing felt so much stronger and more solid, huge difference when driving and taking corners. I was super impressed. I would say 100% get them

Unread 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #77
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1

oh man I LOOOOOOOVE mine ... I did the brown dogs and a trans mount at the same time and it was such a big difference .. Everthing felt so much stronger and more solid, huge difference when driving and taking corners. I was super impressed. I would say 100% get them
The vibes are awful. With the ac on it felt like I was in a massaging chair. I would only recommend the mounts for hardcore offroaders.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:03 PM   #78
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I know the Brown Dog mounts are stronger, I have heard good and bad about em...My thinkin right now is I JUST WANT THIS ISSUE FIXED!!! It's drivin me bat sh*t thing is about the Brown dogs is even if it did fix it, it would just be covering up the issue, seems the problem would just find the next weak point to transfer the energy instead of it being obsorbed with the OEM rubber mounts(and the back of my fan)...eventually I would have to address whatever it is causing this. correct me if I'm wrong...hell maybe the Brown dogs are some kinda magical mounts that fix all problems...if so maybe we should get the Government some Brown dogs...they might be able to fix the economy...LOL
97hero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #79
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee View Post
The vibes are awful. With the ac on it felt like I was in a massaging chair. I would only recommend the mounts for hardcore offroaders.
Maybe the mounts are not the problem .. maybe your engine needs a little love... My jeep is super smooth and even idles very well ...

You probably have some other issues and they just show more with the mounts. I have no vibe problems at all.
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:25 PM   #80
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97hero View Post
I know the Brown Dog mounts are stronger, I have heard good and bad about em...My thinkin right now is I JUST WANT THIS ISSUE FIXED!!! It's drivin me bat sh*t thing is about the Brown dogs is even if it did fix it, it would just be covering up the issue, seems the problem would just find the next weak point to transfer the energy instead of it being obsorbed with the OEM rubber mounts(and the back of my fan)...eventually I would have to address whatever it is causing this. correct me if I'm wrong...hell maybe the Brown dogs are some kinda magical mounts that fix all problems...if so maybe we should get the Government some Brown dogs...they might be able to fix the economy...LOL
You have the right idea man ... its like this .. you will have to work on your jeep its a jeep.

When you fix something ... the fastest and cheapest way to fix it is to fix it right the first time, because its always a pain and expensive to go back and do it again.

There is nothing wrong with the brown dogs they are great, get them. That is the right way to fix your problem ... they are A+.

You will have other problems, and fix them one at a time and slowly you have have a jeep that runs great.

Look at my build thread, the before and after motor build pic ...

I started with a jeep that was a disaster I got for 1500$ .. and I just pick the very biggest problem and fix it and then go to the next one. After a little time , your problems get smaller and less frequent, and your jeep starts to run awesome and you love it

All part of owing a jeep .. but in the end .. its the only way to roll
Unread 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #81
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97hero
Here are a couple pics...
That replacement fan you got is sticking out way to far. I suspect that you ended up with one from a grand cherokee. Here is a pic of my xj fan that I just took.
image-4202845349.jpg  

Last edited by PaYankee; 05-10-2013 at 06:33 PM..
PaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #82
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
That replacement fan you got is sticking out way to far. I suspect that you ended up with one from a grand cherokee. Here is a pic from mine that I just took.
Thats one mod I did . .I choped the fan and put in a second E fan .. works great
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:03 PM   #83
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project1

Thats one mod I did . .I choped the fan and put in a second E fan .. works great
I am trying to say that the replacement fan he got is to big.

Last edited by PaYankee; 05-10-2013 at 06:14 PM..
PaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #84
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee

That replacement fan you got is sticking out way to far. I suspect that you ended up with one from a grand cherokee. Here is a pic from mine that I just took.
Compare the two.
image-3337375578.jpg   image-3362939603.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #85
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've read, the drive shafts for a Chrysler 8.25 diff are shorter than those for a D35. That said, I don't know what the right length is - apparently there are a whole lot of different transmission / transfer case / differential combinations, and therefore a lot of different driveshaft lengths that were supplied. I guess the key is to get a feel for whether the splines are nearly or fully engaged with the shaft in place (before the tranny is put in gear). On mine, I can remember being able to move the shaft forward quite a bit more than necessary to fit it into the rear U-joint mounts (I'm thinking by 3" or so, maybe more than that). I guess if you'd noticed that you didn't have much play when you dropped the shaft (that is, you could just barely get the rear U-joint into the pinion carrier), then it's likely your rear driveshaft is too long for the application. Hopefully someone here has the same engine / tranny / transfer case / diff as your XJ and can do a quick measurement to see if your shaft is the right one (or not).

I'm having trouble thinking of what else it could be - if the motor and tranny mounts are in the right place (and I suspect they are!), and we KNOW they're good - AND the radiator mount and shroud are in the right place (and it sure sounds like it), then all that's left is something that's "pushing" that tranny/engine assembly forward. I can't think of anything in the engine / tranny / transfer case that COULD push the engine forward, at least not with good motor and tranny mounts. That leaves only what's behind the transfer case, and that shouldn't be possible unless the "push" is in excess of what is taken up by the splines in the driveshaft coupling, which should give you at LEAST a few inches of slop before anything gets pushed around.
habbyguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #86
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaYankee

Compare the two.
Here is another
image-240232917.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #87
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Intresting...the fan I got said direct fit OEM, but there is a clearance difference for sure...what brand and where did you get yours?
97hero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #88
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I am trying to say that the replacement fan he got is to big.
I see .. yea that would be bad
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #89
Project1
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97hero View Post
Intresting...the fan I got said direct fit OEM, but there is a clearance difference for sure...what brand and where did you get yours?
That's probably right ... my stock fan sticks out so much more than my aftermarket efan .. I actually and using one from an Audi turbo .. I use to have the 2speed ford SHO fan but I switched

You can see which one is my stock fan..

My stock fan runs all the time and the audi fan just runs as needed.

You can see the brown dog's in that pic too
motor2.jpg  
Unread 05-10-2013, 06:29 PM   #90
PaYankee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97hero
basically that stupid middle section on that fan is ruining everything.
No point in buying a new fan. Go get one from a junkyard or buy a factory xj fan from someone on here. They are not known to go bad. Mine never turns on unless I have the ac on anyway. Or just get the right size new whatever is easier.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.