Motor moving forward when accelerating - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Motor moving forward when accelerating

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 05-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #46
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ok well...I removed the drive shaft and lubed the splines (was pretty dry) but it did not fix the issue, seemed to help some but will still hit the fan when accelerating from take off...I can tell it helped some because it was doing it even when doing a rolling right or left at low speeds but now it only does it from a dead stop and you give it gas, I dont know if the flat leaf springs coupled with the "lift shackle" is contributing to this issue but I know the angle looks a little off and when I removed the plug to change the gear oil in the rear diff it came pouring out because the plug was at a downward angle so it had to be higher when it was originaly put in prior to me...so wouldnt that mean the angle of the drive shaft would be angled upward some? I dont know I'm at a complete loss here...it's drivin me crazy!!!!

97hero is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #47
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here are some pics of the drive shaft...does this look correct? I used an ep grease on both the shaft splines and the out put shaft must have used too much because some pushed out. any help figuring this out would be greatly appreciated...
imag0419.jpg   imag0420.jpg   imag0421.jpg   imag0422.jpg   imag0423.jpg  

imag0424.jpg  
Unread 05-09-2013, 10:55 AM   #48
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

At this point, I'd have to say its possible that the drive shaft is just a hair too long. Does it seem to be close to bottoming out on the output shaft of the transfer case?

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
KF4SQB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #49
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked to see that the motor mount bracket that bolts to the engine block has all 3 bolts in it and that it is not cracked ?
buildin1XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:44 AM   #50
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

It does seem close, pushes in maybe an inch or so...but I have no idea how much play it should have to reference, dont know if it means anything but when I had the shaft out it does have "D35" in raised letters on yoke portion...does this indicate it's a dana 35 shaft???? if so isnt the 35 shaft like an inch longer???
Unread 05-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #51
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buildin1XJ View Post
Have you checked to see that the motor mount bracket that bolts to the engine block has all 3 bolts in it and that it is not cracked ?
Yes, Just replaced all mounts... the trans mount was at least an inch higher than the old one I replaced so it lifted the back of the engine up some...I just figured the difference in height was due to the old mount being squashed down...but now I dont know. I am at my wits end with this thing.
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #52
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked to see that the bottom plastic tabs on the E fan are inserted into the slots they secure into and that they are not broken off.
The pics you show of the proximity of the fan and the PS pump actually look correct to me as I just looked at 3 of my XJs. as far as driveshafts go I would think you would have to be really stomping on the gas to have a drive shaft cause your problem.
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:24 PM   #53
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Have you checked to see that the bottom plastic tabs on the E fan are inserted into the slots they secure into and that they are not broken off.
The pics you show of the proximity of the fan and the PS pump actually look correct to me as I just looked at 3 of my XJs. as far as driveshafts go I would think you would have to be really stomping on the gas to have a drive shaft cause your problem.
Yes I even went back over it and made sure those tabs were in the slots and all bolts were tight...when I took the old fan out it had a couple marks on the back as well but was only hitting the fan when accelerating on right hand turns slightly, right after I replaced the fan with an OEM replacement it was a lot worse and I have been trying to hunt this down and correct it ever since, dont know why it would get worse unless the replacement fan was a little thicker than the other one it seems about the same. but like I said With the hood up and someone accelerating forward I can see the motor move forward into the fan.
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #54
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

You could eliminate the rear drive shaft theory all together by removing it and accelerating, might lose a dab of tran fluid .
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #55
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
You could eliminate the rear drive shaft theory all together by removing it and accelerating, might lose a dab of tran fluid .
Your saying pull the rear drive shaft and accelerate using the front shaft only???
Unread 05-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #56
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yes pull the rear shaft put it in 4WD and see if it happens, that way the rear DS will be eliminated as a problem.
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #57
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes pull the rear shaft put it in 4WD and see if it happens, that way the rear DS will be eliminated as a problem.
I will try it...shouldnt hurt anything to run like that just to check it...right?
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #58
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

As long as you don't drive it far enough to loose a lot of trany fluid.
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #59
97hero
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
As long as you don't drive it far enough to loose a lot of trany fluid.
Where would I be losing trans fluid from? the output shaft? I was told when I pulled the drive shaft I would lose fluid and to have a catch pan ready but I didnt even drip a drop of fluid. should I have maybe I didnt lube the correct stuff??? I greased the part under the dust boot and the inside of the shaft end...was this correct?
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #60
buildin1XJ
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yes from the tail shaft,might want to check the T case fluid level. Also sounds like you greased the right parts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.