MORE vibration over 40mph - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > MORE vibration over 40mph

Smittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 02-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Lenen98

MORE vibration over 40mph

Okay, to start off, I'm no mechanic, but I try, so bear with me....

I have a '97 cherokee, 4WD, manual, about 90K miles...

I'm having the much talked about front vibration problems, starts at about 40mph and gets worse the faster you go. It felt exactly like a tire that was badly out of balance, so I put my other set of wheels and tires on, no change at all.

I just replaced the front U-joints this past summer. I checked them anyays, feel okay.

I though it was bearings, so I jacked up the front end and tried shaking the wheels, no unusual movement, at least not that I could tell.

I read about the front drive shaft, going to the front differential, so I tried shaking that, it doesn't move up and down or end to end. It can rotate slightly, but I think that is normal.

I tried the "putting it in neutral at highway speed and turning it off" method, it still does the same thing.

SO, any thoughts? Might it be bearings, even though there is no excessive movement? Any other clues? Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to walk into a repair shop blind. Thanks!

Lenen98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 10:15 AM   #2
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Welcome to Death Wobble (DW).

First thing I would do is get an alignment. They at that time will be able to tell you if anything else is wrong with the front end. Also make sure everything is tight upfront.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:06 PM   #3
Thayer

Shouldn't write MORE when you mean More because I thought you meant Mountain Off-Road Enterprises.
[SIZE=1]1997 Cherokee Sport NAXJA #1255
RK 4.5" LA Kit
[/SIZE]
Thayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:16 PM   #4
woodstock01

Is it stock height or lifted? If lifted I have a 1" TC drop kit from Rusty's I didn't need. I started to round out the holes a bit but never installed it. Cost $20 + shipping from Rusty's I'll do $15 shipped. You'll need 1 more bolt for it though, one got stripped from the kit. I think it's about $2. Just something to think about if you have a lift.
Jason
woodstock01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:33 PM   #5
XJ4oh
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I 2nd getting an alignment. Ive been told you can also pull the front driveshaft off, it can be out of balance even though it might not look like it... But if you pull it and the vibes go away then theres your issue. I would start out with an alignment first though.
Baja Aux. Lighting.
Green Jeep Club #185, Nowhere to Wheel Jeep Club member #1
'04 WJ - Columbia Edition - 4.7HO 2WD
XJ4oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:37 PM   #6
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

My death wobble started around 45 mph. Went away after an alignment.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 02:48 PM   #7
StokedXJ11
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I also got mine aligned and it was fixed...
RJC #377
StokedXJ11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:13 PM   #8
FitchVA
Jeeper 4 Life

1998 XJ Cherokee 

wait...i thought death wobble was when you hit a bump and it would cause your front end to shake left and right uncontrollably.

it sounds like you have a driveline vibration of some sorts.

i'd try removing the front driveshaft and see if it still does it. if it does, you can rule that out.

then recheck everything like your tires, ujoints, and hubs again.

it could be anything from a tire weight getting thrown off, the tire itself getting out of round, same for the wheel, bad alignment, etc.

you need to check each one.
My XJ Page | My Gallery
FitchVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2006, 03:19 PM   #9
dynamite44

i'd suggest a bent rim or a tire missing a weight.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2006, 08:56 AM   #10
Lenen98

Thanks, I'll have to try pulling the front drive shaft, and get an alignment, I'm almost positive it's never had an alignment.

To reply to other posts, it is all stock, except for shocks, and slightly larger tires.

It's not tires or wheels, I have two sets of tires and wheels, and they both feel the exact same.
Lenen98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.