More lift questions.... - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > More lift questions....

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM   #16
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No I did not ditch the rear sway bar. I have not even begun to think like that yet. What a good idea to use the sway bar mounts as rear upper shock mounts. Wait so, I should go with longer control arms while doing the front part of the lift? What kind of headaches will the track bar give me if I don't change it right away? I want to finish the lift tonight so I may just go for it and do the upgrades later if possible. Any broken bolt issues with the front shocks? I haven't heard of the front ones breaking but I'm going to heat them up regardless. Thanks!

SpecialK2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:17 PM   #17
chance_p
2008 WK 

No broken bolt issues up front. You can definitely run without a new TB and LCAs. I did it for a year. I would just advise you upgrade asap. Its really a big difference IMO. The factory TB has a tie rod end on the frame side and it wil wear out quickly once you lift the front due to the angle it was be at. Hop under your jeep youll see what i mean.
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

No I did not ditch the rear sway bar. I'm not that advanced yet to be removing parts :-) Great idea though to use the rear sway bar mounts as upper shock mounts. Can I get away with using the stock control arms and trackbar for now? I kind of want to complete the lift soon. I may modify the whole steering system soon anyway so could I jsut do it then?

Thanks!
Unread 06-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #19
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, I didn't see your reply. Thanks for the answers! I appreciate it. I will go with the new stuff now. Thanks!
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #20
chance_p
2008 WK 

Here is an image of what I was talking about with the rear upper shock mounts. Its nice because now it only takes me minutes to swap out rear shocks with no headaches. I also didnt have to deal with drilling out the old bolts. Just drilled 2 new holes and easily bolted the brackets to the Jeep. I don't know if it would interfere with the exhaust though, mine has a turn down right after the muffler.

(the only spot of rust on my jeep is the upper rear shock mounts, i really need to do something about it)
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:57 PM   #21
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Finally completed the lift last night. Total hours: 21. I know, crazy right? Well, like a said earlier, I did it in my parents back yard without some of the best tools. I tried to prepare ahead of time with all the right tools like an air wrench for example but the air wrench I bought was a piece of crap. So I took it out for a test drive last night and it was all over the place. It drove very straight for not having an alignment but the steering and handling just isn't right. I might really need to take the advice from the previous posts such as new control arms, adjustable track bar etc. And, I almost forgot, I still need to drop the transfer case. Lots of vibrations going on at high speeds. Here are the most important things that I learned, I hope they help someone else:

1. Heat your bolts, especially the rear upper shock absorber bolts. Get a nice little propane torch and heat them up. They come out very nicely when heated. If you do break the bolts off don't worry, just drill them out, move your back carpet out of the way and bolt them from the inside etc. You'll get it.
2. Buy a high quality air wrench. I am not sure how they really work or if a good one really would have helped me get out the big tough bolts because I didn't have one. But from what I've heard, a good wrench would have helped. I removed everything by brute force. That sucked.
3. Rent the strut spring compressor tool from your local auto store. I bought a kit that said I didn't need one. And you don't if you feel like taking apart the whole steering system. I stopped short of taking the whole thing apart, rented the tool, and with some tough love, I shoved the springs into place.
4. Get the new leaf spring pack. After taking everything else apart I could not imagine having to take my old rusty leaf springs apart.
5. Get the transfer case drop. I don't see how you could get away without it.

I hope I remembered everything and I hope this helps someone in the future. Thank you all for your excellent advice. I could not have completed the lift without your help. Thanks to my father too. I was going to give up after the first bolt broke.

Good luck!
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #22
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK2000 View Post
Finally completed the lift last night. Total hours: 21. I know, crazy right? Well, like a said earlier, I did it in my parents back yard without some of the best tools. I tried to prepare ahead of time with all the right tools like an air wrench for example but the air wrench I bought was a piece of crap. So I took it out for a test drive last night and it was all over the place. It drove very straight for not having an alignment but the steering and handling just isn't right. I might really need to take the advice from the previous posts such as new control arms, adjustable track bar etc. And, I almost forgot, I still need to drop the transfer case. Lots of vibrations going on at high speeds. Here are the most important things that I learned, I hope they help someone else:
You have to adjust the toe in to 1/8" and align the steering wheel after or it will handle like crap.It takes 10-15 minutes to do it yourself.I'm suprised you didn't get DW without aligning it.It doesn't pull to the side like a car,it handles like crap.Drilling a hole for the stock front track bar will center the axle perfectly.I do that on all of my Jeeps.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

p.s. On my first XJ lift years ago,I had 3 upper,rear shock bolts break off.Thet took longer to fix than the lift.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #23
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Oh now I get it.....death wobble was about to set in but I took my dumb foot off the gas. Thanks for the link. I'm going to try that. Also, now that I've read my 200th post I see that a transfer case drop will not really help me out? People say it won't be good enough and that I definitely need a SYE?

Yeah, I had 3 upper rear shock bolts break off too!! And I broke the extractor in one of the bolts!

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:16 AM   #24
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Okay guys, seriously. I'm trying to lower my transfer case. It seems like it should be such an easy 20 minute job......however, why is there one bolt and one 'stud' on each side of my XJ? The bolt comes out in 1 minute. I've spent the past 5 hours trying to get the damn 'stud' out. I've tried the double nut method, that strips my nuts....( I know, I know) I tried heating the damn thing. Won't budge. I mean at least other bolts just break off. Which I can't believe I'd rather have right now. How do I get this stud out of the frame?!?!?!? Thanks.
Unread 06-08-2013, 11:27 AM   #25
chance_p
2008 WK 

Could you cut, drill, and tap it? Never installed a tc drop so i cant be of much help sorry.
Unread 06-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #26
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's done. We got it out. Okay everyone....so as I said earlier....I've learned more in the past week than in the past 38 years. We got the studs out. Here were the issues that I encountered today just for the transfer case drop.....

1. double nut method: stupid me did not realize that the studs were metric (I'm learning), first I tried using the nut from the other side as the double nut.....couldn't budge it, then I went to the hardware store and bought some nuts. They wouldn't thread, after a few hours, realized I needed metric nuts. Bought some at a different hardware store cuz the first didn't carry them. Tightened the stock nut full force. Threaded the new metric nut up to it as tight as possible. Still would come out....finally...I HEATED the stud with the nuts on it and worked it out! Sounds obvious but i had heated it earlier and it didn't work. Heated the other side and it came out too!!!!!!!!!

2. When I was going to bolt the spacers and cross member back to the frame the cross member was all cock eyed and the bolts would NOT go it. I used a pry bar on the drivers side to push the cross member holes to line up with the frame holes. On the passenger side because there is nothing to leverage I used the jack from my jeep against the control arm joint to push the cross member back a few inches.

Wow, I'm spent. Be back later. Thanks everyone.!!
Unread 06-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #27
chance_p
2008 WK 

Glad you got it figured out! I love the problem solving that goes into working on these things.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #28
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

here is a before picture of my jeep. After picture will follow most likely tomorrow.
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #29
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This is after painting the bumpers, new hubcap, new header panel, fixed the drivers side electric window, replaced the heater core, valve cover gasket, replaced the headliner (pictures to follow), painted over the badges, 3 inch lift, 1 inch transfer case drop.....and I find myself asking......why?
Unread 06-09-2013, 06:12 AM   #30
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK2000 View Post
This is after painting the bumpers, new hubcap, new header panel, fixed the drivers side electric window, replaced the heater core, valve cover gasket, replaced the headliner (pictures to follow), painted over the badges, 3 inch lift, 1 inch transfer case drop.....and I find myself asking......why?
Time for some bigger tires.With the t case drop,if you just loosen one side and remove the other side nothing can/will shift and cause those problems aligning the holes.

p.s. I removed my headliner fabric and painted the top with a grey speckled paint.It looks pretty damn good and can never fall down again.
2000' WJ Limited 4.7L-V8/D44/Quadra-Drive/31" MT's/3" lift
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.