More lift questions.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > More lift questions....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 05-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

More lift questions....

Hi All, I'm planning lifting my 2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 4.0 liter. I got some great help regarding which type of axle I have on my jeep. (Chrysler 8.25 Thanks!)

And I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and elsewhere. My research has brought up some more questions:

Looks like I'm going with the Zone 3 inch lift. I like that it comes with new leaf springs and I've read some nice reviews. Regardless......I'm thinking I also want to change my control arms, lower and upper suspension arms, track bar, links....just re do the whole suspension.

1. Is all of this necessary? (it's not in bad shape but is it necessary for the lift?) Like, won't some of the old parts be too short etc.?

2. If I do go with new control arms and links, do they have to be longer because of the lift?

Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate it!

SpecialK2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #2
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have to be brutally honest. I just went out under my Grass Guzzler (XJ) and realized that the answers to all of my questions were right there in front of me all along. I don't need control arms. I don't need new links. All I need is to get my arse out under that jeep and get to work. Just remove some bolts, move some stuff around, and put her back together. Tune in next time. Thanks for your help.
Unread 05-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #3
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need new arms if yours are in good shape. And if you mean swaybar links, yes you do need new, longer ones.

Sent from my iForum using JeepPhone

I'm pretty sure I know what I'm talking about. I think...
tyvanwie is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvanwie View Post
You don't need new arms if yours are in good shape. And if you mean swaybar links, yes you do need new, longer ones.

Get back over to TJ tech.
Unread 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I put the Zone 4.5" lift on my 2000' XJ and the ride is very good.The kit came with everything needed.I wouldn't replace the CA's with a 3" lift.I redrilled the front track bar hole instead of buying an adjustable one.

Unread 05-23-2013, 11:17 AM   #6
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman

Get back over to TJ tech.

Unread 05-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #7
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice. Thanks for the feedback! Just when I thought this would be easy I found a pro comp lift with everything included....but, the instructions look insane.....after all of the posts I've read it sounds easy thought? What do you think?
Unread 05-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
tyvanwie
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Zone>procomp

Unread 05-24-2013, 03:06 AM   #9
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialK2000 View Post
I have to be brutally honest. ...

I don't need control arms. I don't need new links.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
I put the Zone 4.5" lift on my 2000' XJ and the ride is very good.The kit came with everything needed.I wouldn't replace the CA's with a 3" lift.I redrilled the front track bar hole instead of buying an adjustable one.
I have to be brutally honest as well, based on my personal experience with a couple of XJs and ZJ that I've owned/ wheeled:

* You do need at least new lower CAs, but preferrably adjustable uppers and lowers. This way you can adjust the front WB to whatever you desire, and you get stronger arms - the POS stock stamped steel (sheetmetal) arms will get destroyed on any decently challenging trail within a few wheeling trips.

* The stock trackbar design is pretty crappy. If you plan on wheeling fairly often, I would convert to a HD trackbar system that uses either a rubber or PU bushing at one end and a flex joint on the other & a double shear trackbar bracket @ the frame end. That way you get rid of the not-so-strong stock single shear setup with the crappy stock bracket that is known to crack.

..and as mentioned, you do need longer swaybar links with 3" lift. I'd buy JKS quick disconnects, or some other similar ones.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #10
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Very nice. Thanks for the feedback! Just when I thought this would be easy I found a pro comp lift with everything included....but, the instructions look insane.....after all of the posts I've read it sounds easy thought? What do you think?
It's pretty easy if you don't have rust problems.I spray all the bolts with PB blaster a few days in advance.Pro Comp shocks suck and ride very stiff.
Unread 05-24-2013, 08:47 AM   #11
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks! You guys are great. Taking all the advice. Now let's see what I can do with it.
Unread 05-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just ordered the 3 inch Zone lift with full leaf springs and the transfer case drop kit, nitro shock option. I already have some stabilizer bar links and I held off on some of the other parts like control arms. I will get those next. Thanks again for all your help. Once I get her up in the air I'm sure I'll have some more questions.
Unread 05-25-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just ordered the 3 inch Zone lift with full leaf springs and the transfer case drop kit, nitro shock option. I already have some stabilizer bar links and I held off on some of the other parts like control arms. I will get those next. Thanks again for all your help. Once I get her up in the air I'm sure I'll have some more questions.
Unread 06-03-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
SpecialK2000
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So guys and gals, completed the rear 3 inch lift this past weekend with a lot of help from my father. About 8 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday. Let me tell you.....it was one of the most difficult things I've ever done IN MY LIFE. Please keep in mind that I'm doing this in my parents back yard and I have most of the tools but not all. Just a hydraulic lift, jack stands etc.

So, first bolt I try to remove...rear shock absorber upper bolt, snaps right off. Yes, I used PB blaster for days if not weeks before. And the bolt felt like it was turning. Nope, she just snapped right off. If I were you....HEAT EVERY BOLT. We heated the next three and one came out so smooth but the other two broke off. We bought the extractor tool....that broke off inside the broken bolt. You see where this is going right? We ended up drilling the crap out of the bolts, ripping out the interior carpet and drilling holes into the back floor to reach the other sides of the bolts.

Then the leaf springs....OMG. The front bolt on the passenger side WOULD NOT COME OUT. We got it most of the way out but then it got stuck in the sleave with about a 1/4 inch to go and we ended up taking a saws all to both sides of it. Once I got the leaf springs out.....the new ones would not reach to the original holes and brackets from the old leaf springs. I had to use a pump jack to move the spring around and a crowbar to force the thing into place.

Then trying to line up the u-bolts with the leaf spring brackets was insane. Oh and the air wrench that I bought did not take one single bolt out. If you are going to lift your jeep do yourself two favors:

1. Heat the bolts.
2. Buy a real air wrench, spend the money and get a real one.

Thanks to everyone for your advice etc. I appreciate it. I do feel a sense of accomplishment even though I wanted to torch my jeep on Saturday. I look forward to helping anyone else who is working on lifting their jeep. :-)
Unread 06-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
chance_p
2008 WK 

Sounds pretty similar to my first lift install. Did you ditch the rear sway bar? I used the mounts where it connected to my u-bolts as rear upper shock mounts. Definately go with some longer lower control arms. I put some non adjustable 16.25 inch ones on mine after driving with stock arms for a rear and i immediately noticed an improvement in the ride and handling. Also as others have said go with an adjustable double shear trackbar setup. Itll save you headaches down the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.