modifications? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > modifications?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-16-2004, 07:31 AM   #1
insanewake

modifications?

Hi. Well I am installing a 3" lift on my 96 xj and I was just wondering the pros and cons of removing the stabilizer bars... Also can anyone tell me if they are using any computer chips like Jet Chips ect. and if they are worth it or if they are any other better ones? Thanks! Will start getting pics up of my Jeeps renovation.

insanewake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 08:19 AM   #2
xjmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by insanewake
Hi. Well I am installing a 3" lift on my 96 xj and I was just wondering the pros and cons of removing the stabilizer bars... Also can anyone tell me if they are using any computer chips like Jet Chips ect. and if they are worth it or if they are any other better ones? Thanks! Will start getting pics up of my Jeeps renovation.
The stabilizer bars (AKA Sway bars) prevent body roll which allows for better control especially when making evasive maneuvers however they also severly limit flex. You can pretty safely pull the rear one as most of us on here have done. If you have an XJ with the upcountry package from the factory you don't have a rear sway bar anyway. Pulling the rear one you'll notice a little more rear body roll but nothing bad.

The front one you're going to want to keep on and just get yourself a set of disconnects. Some run without it but most people will tell you you're crazy to not run without a front sway bar attached. For brands JKS, Teraflex, and Dipple (www.dipple.com) all have quality disconnects. Many other ones are out there but they rattle quite a bit and many, myself included, think it gets annoying FAST. Personally I went with some cheap Ebay disconnects that rattled until I was done lifting. Then saved up and got myself a set of JKS ones. Good luck and welcome!
RE 4.5" lift 33x12.5x15 ProComp AT's on AR 767's
JKS QD's RE HD trac bar & frame mount
Disc's on all 4 corners, stopping fast is so nice
Rusty's Airtube with K&N and Hella 500's on an ARB Bull Bar
xjmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
denverd0n

I agree with xjmatt. Unless you are running a custom suspension with EXTREMELY stiff springs, it is best to keep your front anti-sway bar. The rear you can pitch.

The replacement chips are a waste of money, unless you are doing other major engine mods that call for one. By themselves they won't make enough difference to really notice. The main problem with them, however, is that you have to forever more run premium gas, as if regular isn't expensive enough already!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 11:57 AM   #4
insanewake

Lol! Yea gas prices sure are high. Thanks for the help guys, I will take the back one off.... and get some quick disconnects for the front. This site is awesome I love my Jeep and I love the way that other Jeep owners some how feel like extended family!
insanewake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2004, 01:33 PM   #5
RickyN29

I am running extremely stiff front (and rear) springs, with both sway bars removed, I cannot even notice a difference. I did make some quick disconnects though and keep the front connected now just for added safety
*Pacer Wheels/High-Tec Retreads 31" MT
*KargoMaster Safari Rack
*CSF Open Cooling System Conversion
*Hayden Tranny Cooler
*Flowmaster 40 Delta & High-Flo Cat
*PORC SYE / FRT DS Combo
*The Doors are off again for summer!
RickyN29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.