Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

modifications?

777 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RickyN29 
#1 ·
Hi. Well I am installing a 3" lift on my 96 xj and I was just wondering the pros and cons of removing the stabilizer bars... Also can anyone tell me if they are using any computer chips like Jet Chips ect. and if they are worth it or if they are any other better ones? Thanks! Will start getting pics up of my Jeeps renovation.

#2 ·
insanewake said:
Hi. Well I am installing a 3" lift on my 96 xj and I was just wondering the pros and cons of removing the stabilizer bars... Also can anyone tell me if they are using any computer chips like Jet Chips ect. and if they are worth it or if they are any other better ones? Thanks! Will start getting pics up of my Jeeps renovation.
The stabilizer bars (AKA Sway bars) prevent body roll which allows for better control especially when making evasive maneuvers however they also severly limit flex. You can pretty safely pull the rear one as most of us on here have done. If you have an XJ with the upcountry package from the factory you don't have a rear sway bar anyway. Pulling the rear one you'll notice a little more rear body roll but nothing bad.

The front one you're going to want to keep on and just get yourself a set of disconnects. Some run without it but most people will tell you you're crazy to not run without a front sway bar attached. For brands JKS, Teraflex, and Dipple (www.dipple.com) all have quality disconnects. Many other ones are out there but they rattle quite a bit and many, myself included, think it gets annoying FAST. Personally I went with some cheap Ebay disconnects that rattled until I was done lifting. Then saved up and got myself a set of JKS ones. Good luck and welcome!

#3 ·
I agree with xjmatt. Unless you are running a custom suspension with EXTREMELY stiff springs, it is best to keep your front anti-sway bar. The rear you can pitch.

The replacement chips are a waste of money, unless you are doing other major engine mods that call for one. By themselves they won't make enough difference to really notice. The main problem with them, however, is that you have to forever more run premium gas, as if regular isn't expensive enough already!

#4 ·
Lol! Yea gas prices sure are high. Thanks for the help guys, I will take the back one off.... and get some quick disconnects for the front. This site is awesome I love my Jeep and I love the way that other Jeep owners some how feel like extended family! :D

#5 ·
I am running extremely stiff front (and rear) springs, with both sway bars removed, I cannot even notice a difference. I did make some quick disconnects though and keep the front connected now just for added safety

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.