mod advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > mod advice

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
wipfa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

mod advice

Hey guys,

I have some extra money and have been looking to get an upgrade for my '98 xj. I was looking at getting a cold air intake but after reading about some of the pros and cons I have decided against it... I'm now leaning toward some exhaust upgrades or something to pull some more power and economy out of her... Any thoughts and/or opinions on if I should get a new cat, header, etc... (Already have a very high flow "muffler")

Thanks

wipfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

From what I've read, there isn't much ROI when installing external engine mods, although re-routing the intake to the cowl or using a snorkel has benefits if you like to play in water...
If you do any amount of off-roading you should install skid plates (or other armor) or lock and/or re-gear the axles.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Jeep 4.0L is old school, and responds well to normal hot rodding tricks. Buy a cat-back exhaust and a header. Consider a new cat if you have 150,000 + miles. You will gain a few horsepower and maybe 1/2-1 mpg's.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #4
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

We went with a full 2.5" exhaust and a auto locking diff in the rear. Both add a grin factor.
Unread 07-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

No single thing you do will be a noticeable performance gain on a 4.0. However, a combination of full exhaust upgrades and a true cold air (cowl) intake will gain you some horsepower and/or fuel efficiency.
Unread 07-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge
No single thing you do will be a noticeable performance gain on a 4.0. However, a combination of full exhaust upgrades and a true cold air (cowl) intake will gain you some horsepower and/or fuel efficiency.
This + a bored out throttle body.

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
wipfa
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so full exhaust sounds like a common theme... Brand preferences?
wipfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rock sliders , Regear, Armor ect......

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.