moar power..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > moar power.....

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 04-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #1
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

moar power.....

ok question everyones has to ask lol but i wanna go that extra step. currently i have a 99 chero 4.0 woods toy ive done port polished head, 01 intake, big tube header upgraded the cooling sytem, stock 5.0 injectors, ported TB, and a few lil fuel mods. the motor has about 5000 miles sense i rebuilt it a few years ago. she runs like a champ but not enough i wanna add some boost maybe 3 to 4 pounds upgrade the injectors and then retune it (ill also install a air fuel gauge) questions are will my motor hold that much boost? where would i tap into for the oil feed for the turbo? what would be the best turbo to use? would a cam help me out as well? and then i was also thinking about a 50hp shot? and u may ask what do i do with this jeep? well everything lol trail rig hill climbs jump it mud run etc

RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Why when you rebuilt the motor did you not stroke it?!?
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Becuz at the time it wasn't in the budget at this point in time I have 1800 in this jeep. I can get my hands on a handfull of different turbos to do my build much cheaper than a stroker build plus that turbo whistle and sound of a bkow off valve
Unread 04-03-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
jeepkid03
Winning

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It will cost you a lot more to custom fab a turbo setup compared to building a stroker.

My 0331 Head Swap How-To Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/0...hread-1371398/

Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1119997/
jeepkid03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have half the stuff to do the build left over from a old toy so price won't be that bad on the turbo set up
Unread 04-04-2013, 11:01 AM   #6
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well, from the looks of it you might just have to be the one to do all the research and post up what you did.

If you search there are a few turbo Cherokee around but hardly any info on them. I’m interested in this as well, I always have a need for speed no matter what I’m driving. Unfortunately my Jeep is my DD so I can’t do anything like put a turbo on it right now. I might buy a second Cherokee if I ever decide to sell my turbo Camaro but not sure I want to downgrade. . .

Edit: Just to throw a few options out there that might help.

If you need engine management (fuel, Spark, tuning) check out the Microsquirt, and Megasquirt. They have both have been used with great success. Microsquirt is very cheap and easy to use, Megasquirt is a little more expensive, it has more options including an auto tune feature that works very nice!

As for the turbo, if this is your first build, or if you want to keep it cheap get an On3 Ebay turbo. Sure they don't flow as well as the more expensive units but they have been proven to work! At $300 a pop if you kill one you wont have to take out a second mortgage to replace it. BorgWarner are great budget turbos that can be found on ebay at a decent price.

You will obviously need a wind band O2 and all that other great stuff that is associated with turbos. . .

Good luck and have fun! be sure to make a build thread if you go through with it!
Unread 04-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #7
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well max I've looked around on here but didn't find my answers as far as parts I have quite abit left over for a few of my buddys ricer builds and my duramax build so parts are here and at my finger tips fuel delivery isn't a issue no need for a fuel management system I can program that with the factory ecm. So all I need to know is where to tap for the oil supply to the turbo and will it hold up to the 3to 4 psi I'm gonna push and maybe a 50shot on top for ****s and giggles
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:56 PM   #8
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Are you running oversize tires if so Regearing will help a bunch.

Sent from iPhoneusing JeepForum
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
Max78
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well I have no idea how much boost it will withstand so good luck, why bother with a 50 shot and boost? Why not just run a few more psi and make that extra HP through the turbo?

You might be able to place a T where the oil sending unit is located and get your supply from there?

I'm kind of curious, what are you using to tune the EMC?
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Tom I have 4.10 gears and max I don't wanna push tomuch boost becuz I'm limited on tuning ability and as far as the software I don't remember what its called
Unread 04-06-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Boost!! BOOST!!

here-
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1095350

here-
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1085300
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:08 PM   #12
RED
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Marty I'd be interested in the charger mounted on top of the fact intake pm me specs and prices man
Unread 04-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
CobraMarty
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I will be doing an install on my stock '99 2WD before I will sell one to others. I want to work out any possible bugs or problems. I will be using the '7th injector' and a Split Second AIC controller. 6 pounds boost will give 30-35% more power, 50-60 rear wheel hp and TQ, I will have dyno sheets before and after. Give me a couple more months to finalize and document. THe kit will be about $1000, controller ?$300 and used supercharger $100-150 off ebay. Should install easily in less than a day taking your time. The difference is really noticable.
Marty
CobraMarty is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.