Misfiring xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Misfiring xj

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 05-02-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
T_force29
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Misfiring xj

I washed my engine bay last night, and this morning my jeep is misfiring at first it was a real low idle then that fixed itself and now In park it idles at 1100 and that is when I heard the misfire. Any suggestions?

T_force29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use some WD-40 and flush out all the wire harness wire plugs, and inside the distributor cap. If the misfire continues, the water has probably ruined the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If you buy a new TPS buy it from Jeep.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I agree with Tim that the throttle position sensor is suspect. They HATE water.

I generally don't recommend washing the engine bay unless you cover all electronics appropriately and even then you have to be careful......
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #4
T_force29
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim
Use some WD-40 and flush out all the wire harness wire plugs, and inside the distributor cap. If the misfire continues, the water has probably ruined the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS). If you buy a new TPS buy it from Jeep.
I think it fixed its self the check engine light is off and it doesn't seem to be misfiring anymore. So I'm assuming that water dried up. What do you think? And thanks for the advice.
Unread 05-02-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
T_force29
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker
I agree with Tim that the throttle position sensor is suspect. They HATE water.

I generally don't recommend washing the engine bay unless you cover all electronics appropriately and even then you have to be careful......
Yeah next time I'm just going to used a damp rag and wipe it down, to many problems with using a hose to spray it down. Thanks for the input appetite it.
Unread 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Hudson
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_force29 View Post
I think it fixed its self the check engine light is off and it doesn't seem to be misfiring anymore. So I'm assuming that water dried up. What do you think? And thanks for the advice.
Did you pull the codes to see what it was saying was wrong or no?

Build Thread - http://www.ausjeepoffroad.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121903
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
T_force29
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson

Did you pull the codes to see what it was saying was wrong or no?
No I didn't I thought It was fixed since the light went out and didn't seem like it was misfiring but now today the light is still out but it seems like it might be misfiring still. When I hit the gas it sometimes feels like it hops for a second

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.