Metal coolant pipe from heater core output to water pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Metal coolant pipe from heater core output to water pump

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
ThePrepared_com

Metal coolant pipe from heater core output to water pump

The 97 Cherokee that I have had a problem with the coolant pipe that goes from the heater core output to the water pump. That pipe once had a leak that was sealed with JB weld. I'm thinking that there is a blockage there because one end of it stays much cooler than the other. That and I dont get any heat Anyway, does that come as a straight piece that is then bent or do I need to pull the water pump to install it? Also, anyone know what the part is called so I can sound fairly intelligent when I go asking for it?

ThePrepared_com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
coppertop71

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Could be call a coolant manifold or just pipe. I looked on Autozone.com for some terms and there may be a possibiltlty they have the part in the store. I only say that because there listing some many parts for that area. Here is the site to take a look at. If the link doesnt work try the site and plug your model year into it and look for heating and cooling.

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...e+%28Heater%29
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, 4.0 4:11 gears

'90 Cherokee XJ,W/'91 4.0L reman/ 3.5" RE lift, W/31" M/S tires, 4:11 Gears W/Speedo gear change/ Aluminum Coolant Tank
A/C Conversion/Home Built Roof Rack/K&N Box Filter
Derale 15" Rigid Radiator Fan PT# DER-17415, through Summit W/2"X5/8X5/8"" spacer

Jeep Pic's
coppertop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
ThePrepared_com

Because there were no pictures of the parts I went in to the local store. They didn't seem interested in helping so I guess I'll call the dealer tomorrow.
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
ThePrepared_com

Anyone know where I can find a blow up diagram of the water pump?
Unread 11-26-2006, 07:58 PM   #5
XJohnnyC

You could go the the parts store and go to the HELP! section. They have different size outlets that will screw into the water pump. Then you would just run a longer heater hose and slip it onto the outlet and secure it with a hose clamp. This way, you would totally eliminate that whole long piece.

Of course, you would have to know what size threads you need. Couldn't tell you off hand.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #6
ThePrepared_com

I'll have to stop by and check out that section.
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had to replace mine when I changed the water pump. Autozone had some small fittings, but they were only 2-3 inches long. I was worried about running the heater hose so close to the belt. I ordered one from the dealer and I think it ran about $14. You will have to pull the water pump to change it b/c it threads into the pump and with the way the tube is curved, you'll never get it unscrewed with the engine and accessories. Depending on how old/miles you have on you water pump, it might be worth putting a new one in. I got mine at autozone for $40 and it was new, not a reman.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 08:57 PM   #8
ThePrepared_com

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrasm
I had to replace mine when I changed the water pump. Autozone had some small fittings, but they were only 2-3 inches long. I was worried about running the heater hose so close to the belt. I ordered one from the dealer and I think it ran about $14. You will have to pull the water pump to change it b/c it threads into the pump and with the way the tube is curved, you'll never get it unscrewed with the engine and accessories. Depending on how old/miles you have on you water pump, it might be worth putting a new one in. I got mine at autozone for $40 and it was new, not a reman.
Unfortunately I changed the water pump a while back. I need to run a piece of wire down the tube to see if there is a blockage.
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #9
XJohnnyC

If you're absolutely 100% sure you want to do away with that pipe, you could straighten it and unscrew it. Or cut it close to the water pump and unscrew.

But as conrasm said, the belt does come close to the pipe. I imagine that's why they did it that way. In case the serp belt shredded, it wouldn't also take out the heater hose.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #10
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Even if you did get the old one out with the water pump on the engine, I don't think you would be able to screw the new tube it. I think you'll be stuck with drainin the system and pulling the pump. I hope you put some anti seize on the threads of that tube.

Did you check the heater hose for any blockages?
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:42 PM   #11
xjhd4me
1997 XJ Cherokee 

i'm really hating this stupid tube thing right now, mine is rotted and i want to change it before i go on vacation and have a problem, but now since i read you have to remove water pump to do it i might as well change the tube ,the pump, thet-stat, and the stupid serp belt too while i'm at it ..soon my whole damn jeep will be new haha
xjhd4me is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.