me, my jeep, and a question. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > me, my jeep, and a question.

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

me, my jeep, and a question.

Hello fello jeepers! My name is Brantt and i am offically a jeeper now. haha

1998 cherokee sport 4.0L/AW4/231/8.25 and stuff.
Just got it this afternoon, and i'm in love with this thing! got my first compliment within 30 min. when i took it to the carwash. Got my first jeep wave from a sick lifted cherokee today also! (anybody on here live in sanford, NC? if so, let me know!)

did i say that i'm super excited? haha

didnt have time to take pics today, but here are two from the CL ad:

and the tech:

unless there is another switch very well hidden, i think all four of the hella 500's are wired to one switch. i've traced some wires (not done yet) ans so far have only found a spot for one inline fuse. and every time i flip the switch on, it blows a 15a fuse. so if all four light are on the one circiut, do i need a bigger fuse? of is there a hidden problem somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

4wheeler4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks very nice. How much did you get it for? Fill out your profile info with the jeep specs if you can.

Anyway, I would think a 15a fuse would be sufficient. Is the inline fuse the one that is blowing? Look for a short somewhere. If when you flip the switches the lights don't turn on at all, not for an instant, than you probably have a short somewhere between that fuse and the lights. If they come on for a sec, then it blows, it is more likely the lights draw too much current.

I wish my jeep looked like that.

***Edit***
55w bulbs on hella 500's are 4 amps. So four would be 16a, and therefore you are overdrawing them. Set the top ones on another switch/circuit. That way you can drive on road with the bumper ones as highs if you want (follow laws for highbeams when using them). I think roof lights aren't legal on road.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good and they could be since your blowing a fuse and unless the wiring is very sufficient i would never run the 4 light on once circuit.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #4
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Kettles: they dont come on at all. instantly fried. So i'll look for a short and possibly try a fuse at or higher than 16 amps.

and would it be possible for the four lights to be on two different circiuts, but one switch controlling both circiuts?
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #5
01ClassicXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the switch and see how many wires go to it and check for grounds.
01ClassicXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #6
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

will-do tomorrow.
Unread 06-19-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4wheeler4LIFE View Post
Kettles: they dont come on at all. instantly fried. So i'll look for a short and possibly try a fuse at or higher than 16 amps.

and would it be possible for the four lights to be on two different circiuts, but one switch controlling both circiuts?
Yes it is possible. Before trying a bigger fuse, I would disconnect 2 of the lights at the lights, and if it still blows, it is a short. If not, then you need multiple circuits. I wouldn't recommend a 20amp fuse on a circuit designed for 15 amps, the wires could get too hot. If I were you I would want to be able to independantly operate them anyway.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:02 PM   #8
Nj-Xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

How much was it?
Nj-Xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
the303hooligan
1998 TJ Wrangler 

NICE RIG!..BUT, rear fenders look un-finished w/out being snipped and folded...other then that, your rig looks ready for biznas!
1998 Jeep Wrangler TJ Sport 4.0 I6, D30 and D44,4.56 G2 Gears,belly,gas & steering skids, 35x12.5 Wrangler MTR Kevlars,4" ProComp Coils,1.25" JKS BL,1"Currie MML,Bilstein 5100's, Chromoly LCA's front and rear, JKS Disco's,K&N intake,PSC BFH front stinger bumper w/winch & d-rings,PSC Rear stinger/carrier w/d-ring,PSC Rocker Knockers,Dynomax Ultraflo welded ss, APN header,PIAA 520 ATP, Bestop top,alpine CDA-105 deck,Tuffy underseat Security box, JL Audio speakers in sound bar and dash, Corbeau front seats, matching Neoprene cover on bench,trimmed flares...and PLENTY more to come..
**Oil Field Trash Makin' Oil Field Ca$h**
the303hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:25 PM   #10
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nj-Xj View Post
How much was it?

My dad won't tell me exactly, but it was somewhere between $4,800 and $5,100. paid a little over Private Party bluebook for our area, but my dfad said it was worth it to him, so.

This was a 16th b-day/straight A's since 3rd grade present
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the303hooligan View Post
NICE RIG!..BUT, rear fenders look un-finished w/out being snipped and folded...other then that, your rig looks ready for biznas!

Thanks dude! and yeah, i agree, but it'll be a while before i can get permission to cut it up! haha. atleast the front is already trimed though.

I'm gonna wait till monday to ask if i can take the doors off. haha
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:34 PM   #12
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

You have a nice dad.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #13
Boodyrider
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I think you're going to find it best to start over wiring the lights.

HD relay for each pair at least, separate switches for each pair. I'd also run the switches off the 15 amp (the switch current is low, and run 10 gauge or bigger (with an appropriate fuse at the battery) from the battery, to the relay, then to the light. You'll get far better light oputput with proper relay and heavy gauge wiring as well as have a much safer setup.

84 CJ7; frame off restoration in progress.

The technical advice you get from me here is worth exactly what you paid me for it. Warranty issues will be reimbursed at double what you paid me for the advice.
Boodyrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #14
4wheeler4LIFE
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
You have a nice dad.
I really do. I love both my parents very much, and I know i am very lucky.
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #15
Paul_C
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettles View Post
I think roof lights aren't legal on road.
Their not illegal but check the state and local laws. Even if it's legal in your area you might want to get a set of covers for them. I know in PA and I believe it's the same in NY. You can have them but they MUST be covered when driving on the road. It doesn't matter if they don't work, the police will ticket you.
Paul_C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.