MB OM617 diesel conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > MB OM617 diesel conversion

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread Yesterday, 11:47 AM   #1
DSM59
1987 XJ Cherokee 

MB OM617 diesel conversion

Has anyone on this forum put a Mercedes diesel in their XJ? I am an old MB diesel fan and like the simple robust design of the OM617 turbo diesel engine. 30 mpg is pretty easy to achieve in the S class 4k lb sedan.

I have a couple of donor engines and have found this company that offers a kit.
http://www.mercedesdiesel4x4.com/product_p/a-mb206.htm

It looks like cutting the upper oil pan would be the worst of it.

My 4.0 is pretty tired and I'm done with the constant EFI problems.

DSM59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Here across the ocean I've seen quite a few OM617 diesel swaps on XJs and MJs. Usually with a few engine upgrades to give it a bit more oomph

I've seen an OM617 swap on this forum as well, but can't for the life of me remember who it was doing the swap. I'm sure you can find it with google. The swap itself shouldn't be that hard, especially with the adaptors etc. being offered these days.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:49 PM   #3
Ferryman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Over here in the Netherlands those engines are banned because of their poor emission factor.
But I do feel your emotion, they were the best.
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:11 PM   #4
DSM59
1987 XJ Cherokee 

I have two '87 XJs that could be candidates for the om617. And, just happen to have a few spare 617s I've been hanging on for the day when my 300SD dies. I don't think that will ever happen so I might as well look into putting them in the XJ.

Cutting the upper oil pan has been mentioned since the 617 is a front sump. I'm not too keen on the idea of whacking and welding that huge hunk of aluminum. The steel lower pan would be easy to cut and weld. One issue may be the fact the oil pickup is a part of the pump. I'm going to have to do a little more research on this.

Also, dealing with the AW4 TCU might be a challenge to get the shift points right.
DSM59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.