Max towing capacity? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Max towing capacity?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:21 PM   #1
87cherokeecheif

Max towing capacity?

Looking to buy camper trailer and would like to know how big I can go. I have a stock Dana 35.

image-104821803.jpg

87cherokeecheif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #2
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Depends if the camper has trailer brakes.

I've found XJs will pull about as much as you can put behind them, stopping the load is the problem

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 01:07 PM   #3
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There's a difference between getting a heavy load moving/rolling and towing same for long distances. On most vehicles, 4WD lowers the towing capacity as does taller (than stock) tires. According to the book, max rating is 5000lbs and that's only when the XJ is equipped with the 4.0L, auto tranny, HD engine cooling, a auxiliary tranny cooler and brakes on the trailer. ALL cooling system components must be in top notch condition before towing. If not, u'll find out real quick.

The XJ is far from a towing machine.....I mean just look at it. We've towed a meager 1500 lbs (flat trailer, 2 bikes) and u can most definitely tell 1500 lbs is back there. Tow a tall box trailer with a lot of wind resistance and my guess would be things start to get dicey quickly........but hey, somebody will be along saying they towed their 34', 4 motor offshore rig, or something to that effect, no problem. Again, it ain't a towing machine, don't guess at the towed weight/load, have the trailer weighed, as it will be loaded/equipped, at a certified public scale.
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Better make sure your truck is up to snuff.

When you say travel trailer, I am going to assume you are talking about a double axle about 16 feet long. If that is the case, there is a grocery list of requirements to do it. DON'T EVEN PULL IT HOME WITHOUT EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST!!!

1. A class 3 receiver hitch
2. A load distributed hitch assembly
3. A good transmission cooler, like a B&M. #70264 installed
4. If the trailer does not have electric brakes, put them on!
5. And of course a brake controller.
6. Common sense, and experience. I am sure you have the first one, but if you lack the second, take it slow till you get it...

I have pulled a flat trailer with a quad on board (about 1000 pounds) on 500 mile trips without a trans cooler, but any more weight than that I feel would be I'll advised.
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:19 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Here's what you need:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/registry/2089/

My father towed a trailer just like this from N. California to Nova Scotia and back...to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon, Mexico, Texas, through the southwest and all around the western states with his 1990 XJ Laredo...that he bought brand spankin' new...the one I had...and my son has now with 270K on the clock. He had a trans cooler and trailer brakes and a closed cooling system.
Paradise XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave564 View Post
DON'T EVEN PULL IT HOME WITHOUT EVERYTHING ON THIS LIST!!!

1. A class 3 receiver hitch
2. A load distributed hitch assembly
3. A good transmission cooler, like a B&M. #70264 installed
4. If the trailer does not have electric brakes, put them on!
5. And of course a brake controller.
6. Common sense, and experience. I am sure you have the first one, but if you lack the second, take it slow till you get it...
Something I forgot to add to the list. IF it is a flat nose camper (IE: Box Shaped) I would strongly suggest in investing in a roof air deflector.

I got one for my last tow rig, a 1999 GMC Safari. I pull a 10x6 enclosed trailer that I turned into a camper/toy hauler. Without the deflector I was getting 10.5 MPG. Once I put on the deflector, and had it adjusted to the right angle the mileage went up to 14 MPG with the same load. AND IT MADE A HUGE DIFFERENCE in the handling on the highway, especially when passing semis and in cross winds.

I plan to set it up on my 2000 XJ this weekend. I will snap a picture and post it after a test drive.

Here is a link to where I got mine. http://www.icondirect.com/categories...rs/AeroShield/
dave564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:42 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
US tow ratings are somewhat lower than here across the ocean. The list provided above is pretty complete - the most important part IMO is trailer brakes. XJs (and ZJs) have crappy brakes, they will NOT stop a heavy trailer efficiently and safely if it's anything more than around 2500lbs..

XJs here in Europe (2.5 litre diesel and 4.0 gasoline 4wd versions) are usually rated for around 6500lbs (2700-3000kg) towing capacity for trailers with brakes; trailer without brakes and it drops to around 1000-1500lbs. One thing to consider with an XJ is that it has fairly short WB, which does result in a bit "snaky" handling with heavier, longer trailers. The 4.0 can pull suprisingly heavy trailers fairly easily, but it's not the most ideal if you're looking at a bigger camper.

My comfort zone would be around 20ft./ ~3500lbs gross weight trailer with brakes, class III weight-distributing hitch for daily towing. I know for a fact you can pull 5500+ lbs all day long without issues, but you're not gonna enjoy it - especially if there are a lot of uphills and downhills.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #8
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

My x 4.0 xj from 1992 is rated at almost 7000 lbs with brakes. Personally I have never towed more then 3500 lbs and on flat road (which is almost all the roads in Denmark) and it will still lock up torque converter at 40mph.
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 06:04 PM   #9
djb383
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Maybe the OP is towing from Idaho to Europe.
Unread 07-20-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
Maybe the OP is towing from Idaho to Europe.
You never know

Maybe the ages-old idea of the Bering Strait bridge/ tunnel project is secretly finished, and OP is driving through Alaska and Siberia, across the Ural mountains and into the heart of continental Europe

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.