Master/Slave Cylinder Problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Master/Slave Cylinder Problem

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
CascadeWanderer
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Master/Slave Cylinder Problem

Hey guys, I recently bought an 86 Cherokee that had been sitting a long time. Now I'm on the last problem and its really stumping me.

When I got the Jeep, the Clutch Pedal would not go down at all so I replaced the Master Cylinder with a re-manufactured one from RockAuto. I flushed the system out with dot 3, bled it and the clutch still would not disengage. Today I replaced the Slave Cylinder with one from AutoZone and bled it with a one man bleeder setup. Now there is no air but it also seems like the master cylinder isn't pumping fluid. It was pumping fine when I started today, filled up the one man bleeder bottle quickly 3 times and bled out a crazy amount of air, but now, nothing. Doesn't matter how much I pump, the fluid moves very slowly, if at all. And yes, the fluid is full.

1986 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4
AX15 Transmission with external Slave
2.5L Engine

CascadeWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:01 AM   #2
CascadeWanderer
1986 XJ Cherokee 

I think I found the problem...

It appears that the reman master cylinder I got wasn't cleaned properly after being honed. Upon closer inspection, there are metal shavings in the brake fluid I put through it. The master cylinder started leaking today above the fuse panel as well and it wasn't yesterday.
CascadeWanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:05 AM   #3
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Also, there was a problem in 1986 with the factory using improper fluid in the system. The fluid reacted with the internal lining of the flex hose, making an abrasive material which wore out the cylinders. It should be replaced also. And BTW, use only new cylinders

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.