mass air flow sensor - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > mass air flow sensor

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-18-2007, 07:16 AM   #1
dustin5188

mass air flow sensor

can someone tell me where the mass air flow sensor is on a 96 cherokee with an inline 6. Is it hard to replace?

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Red"][B]RED JEEP CLUB:MEMBER#395[/B][/COLOR][/FONT]
dustin5188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 07:53 AM   #2
severous01

there's not one. it's a speed/density setup with a Air Intake Temp and a M AP sensor
Unread 08-18-2007, 09:09 AM   #3
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin5188
can someone tell me where the mass air flow sensor is on a 96 cherokee with an inline 6. Is it hard to replace?
Just curious, how did you conclude that a nonexistent component needs to be replaced?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #4
dustin5188

guy at autozone told me since i hap replaced map and intake air temp sensors then it had to be the mass air flow sensor, check engine light keeps coming on for bad map sensor but i have replaced it, what could be the problem.
Unread 08-18-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
guy at autozone told me....
That explains everything!!!

How is the MAP sensor vacuum line and connections?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
dustin5188

the vacum line and connection all seems good, ive been reading a lot of post about the same problems. When iam ccelerating from a light it acts as if the gas cuts out even tho my foot stays in the same position then all of a sudden the gas kicks back in and i go flying forward. Check engine light keeps saying bad map sensor but i have replaced it. Also have replaced the following:

plugs and wires
rotor button and distrubutor cap
tps
iat sensor
map sensor
fuel filter, and had addiatives ran in fuel system

it ran fine for several months after my mechanoic had it, he said he changed the plug wires, should i check each wire and plug for bad arching, if they are arching bad how do i fix it?
Unread 08-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
severous01

there are a few things other than a dead MAP that will cause a SES code.

1. vacuum leak.
2. bad return or power to the MAP...check for stretched or broken wires, connectors and at the PCM
3. a faulty, but not broken completely, TPS will trick the pcm into throwing a map fault.

for the wires, ohm them out. that's it.
Unread 08-18-2007, 06:12 PM   #8
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the tps. also, have you checked your grounds? i know it sounds stupid, but if the motor's not grounded properly, it can do some really screwy stuff.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
dustin5188

the tps is also new, what about a o2 sensor
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #10
BlkBird
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
guy at autozone told me since i hap replaced map and intake air temp sensors then it had to be the mass air flow sensor, check engine light keeps coming on for bad map sensor but i have replaced it, what could be the problem.
Did the guy at AZ scan and read the codes? Did he tell you what the code was? I hate to say this but if he did'nt, go back up there and have them scan it and tell you the code. DO NOT buy anything from them on the spot. Come back, let us know what it is and we can point you in the right direction. Diagnosing without checking the codes is just guessing and all you are doing is wasting money throwing parts at it.
1971 Pontiac Firebird
BlkBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #11
dustin5188

the scanner says it was the map sensor, code # 107 but i have already replaced it, ive been told the O2 sensor is the problem
Unread 08-24-2007, 08:44 PM   #12
Rock Kustoms

why not just replace the motor. throwing parts at a problem usually just ends up wasting money. i have seen shorting out o2 sensors cause issues like that. your jeep has 2 o2 sensors, upstream and downstream, no matter what anyone trys to sell you, a downstream (after cat) o2 sensor does NOTHING for fuel management, its soley there to set a check engine light if the cat isnt working to spec.
the simplest way to verify if the upstream o2 sensor is your problem is simply to unplug it. the jeep will always be in open loop when you do this, so it will run rich, waste gas etc, so its not a permant fix, but drive it for a few days, if the problem goes away, change the o2 sensor
Rock Kustoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM   #13
JOMOjeep31

My 99 wrangler is doing the same stuff

I just copied this from a different forum

My 99 Wrangler's check engine light and airbag light came on about 2 weeks ago, when i accelerate the jeep jumps and is jerky, .. I have had auto zone and a local shop run the computer tests, and it first came up at autozone as the TPS sensor so i changed that, and it still did it, so i took it to a shop and their test said TPS sensor still and clock spring.. I switched out for another TPS sensor and put in throttle body cleaner, fuel injector cleaner, new spark plugs and new wires, and it has gotten worse. It will sometimes die in neutral and it feels like it wants to when i slow down, and it really jerky now.

I've had heard that it could be a fuel filter, fuel pump, mass air flow sensor. Basically i've heard a million things... Im just trying to see if anyone has any idea, i really appreciate any feedback
JOMOjeep31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:53 AM   #14
whitexj98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Codes don't tell you to replace part x, they are a start to a diagnosis. And i wouldnt trust diag to autozone
whitexj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

How come you're ignoring Post #7?
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.