map sensor 92 xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > map sensor 92 xj

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Artec Flash Sale - 15% off and Free Shipping over $300Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!

Unread 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

map sensor 92 xj

ok having problems with the heep , anyone ever have the map sensor go bad ? what years will fit my 92 xj 4.0 ??? what does it do ? hows it work ?
sorry for all the questions , just going broke fast

Unread 04-24-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Yes, they do go bad. They also can appear bad becuse the wires aren't plugged in well or the connection is dirty. More commonly, the vacuum line going to them is leaking vacuum, sendig the MAP a false signal. I believe they were the same from 87 to at least 95. Your local parts guy will know. The MAP sensor reads your manifold vacuum and sends a signal to the ECU so it can adjust fuel delivery according to engine load. If it's bad, your Jeep will run very rich, blowing black smoke.
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #3
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

how about a popping in the intake ? new fuel pump ,filter ,dist, plugs, wires, cap rotor, cleaned the throttle bodie, seems to happen while the jeep is just about normal temp i have replaced all of the above i am getting some carbon on my hand if someone revs it up and i stick my hand behind the exust , not much though , like i said its while it is warming up or about 4 miles from home , work while driving , cel doesnt go on though
Unread 04-24-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Are you saying it does this only while warming up and it's okay after that? I would look for vacuum leaks in all those vacuum harnesses under the hood. The rubber connectors can deteriorate and the hard plastic lines can crack or develop pinholes. Your CCV system, the lines to the valve cover, should be removed and cleaned to be sure they aren't clogged. About $8 to replace the rear tube with grommet and orifice. Did you check out yur MAP vac harness and connector yet? I'd quit throwing expensive parts at this and look for maintenance items like these that need to be addressed. You ought to refresh all you grounds at the dipstick tube and head to firewall while you're at it. Refresh means removing, scraping, polishing and reinstalling. Clean and shiny.Check all your intake manifold bolts/nuts and see if they have loosened up, too.
Unread 04-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yes seems to happen when its getting warmed up more than when its at normal temp going to check the grounds out now , map sensor seems like no leaks comming from it (used soapy water)
Unread 04-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #6
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Map sensor and coolant sensor can be tested with a manual and a meter. Both are involved with determining fuel/air ratio.

Have you verified fuel pressure at the fuel rail? Would be one of the first things I would do if it were mine. Gotta use a gauge. Backfiring in the intake can be indicative of a "lean" condition. You replaced the fuel pump but there is still a regulator at play here.....Compare your readings to factory spec.

Test your way to a solution.
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

yes have tested fuel pressure ,its good , asked jeep dealer mech, temp sensor is gettting changed today seee how it goes from there post up my findings asap
Unread 04-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #8
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

changed temp sensor ok well i changed the one in the termostat housing is that the correct one ? only happens if its colder out and i get in and drive , if i shut it down and restart no problems for the rest of the day ,, again i did change the sensor in the termost housing not the back one with one should i have changed ? any other suggestions
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

The front one is for the ECU. The one on the back of the block is for the dash gauge. So you swapped out the correct one!
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:26 PM   #10
JOEGUYZXJ
1992 XJ Cherokee 

is there somewhere i can go to have the jeep put on a computer that wont cost me a arm and a leg to see if that will find the problem ? autozone maybe ??? idk just a thought
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:15 AM   #11
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Yeah, Autozone.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.