Many technical questions about 89 Limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Many technical questions about 89 Limited

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 08-12-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Many technical questions about 89 Limited

Hello everyone. Any help would be appreciated, and I tried making this easier to read by spacing it out.

I bought an 89 Limited for $800 last fall. It has 210,xxx. 4.0 4X4

First of all, the suspension is shot. The front coils have those pos things that make it taller. The rear leafs are bowing the wrong direction. (Yes, upward) What is a reasonable price for an installation of a 3" suspension lift?
Say I do get a 3-3.5" lift, will I need to install an SYE?

Also, what is a good price to have new bushings installed on the suspension and body?

On 3 doors, the hinges are separating from the body. Is welding them back on the best course of action?

My driver's side vent window will not stay open. (Wind just pushes it back shut) Guy at the parts yard said the spring in the rubber was broke? Didn't make sense to me.

What is the cord under the backseat that looks like it could connect to a computer? Diagnostics?

I am getting oil on my air filter. I replaced the 90 degree fitting on top of the valve cover because it was leaking there. Is this from worn valve guides or other engine wear, and is there a fix?

There is an electrical connector in a plastic piece just above the windshield on the headliner. Whatever it was plugged into is gone. What was there?

The transmission shifts strangely, like it can't decide what gear it wants to be in. Does the trans switch on the dash have anything to do with this, or possibly could the bands in the transmission need adjusting? Planning on changing the filter next week to see if it helps.

When I crank it cold, the oil pressure is around 40 psi. Warm, around 20. This can't be good....

Lastly, my engine idles around 500 rpm when warm. When cold, it idles a little higher. I have never heard of any vehicle idling that low, and from what I have gathered, it should idle around 800 rpm. I have replaced:

Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, [all the o-rings on the fuel rail, injectors, and fuel lines], spark plugs and wires, and the thermostat.

The engine doesn't smoke, nor does it drink oil. Thanks again guys.

BreadnButter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 09:23 AM   #2
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Bumpedy Bump
Unread 08-13-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreadnButter View Post

I am getting oil on my air filter. I replaced the 90 degree fitting on top of the valve cover because it was leaking there. Is this from worn valve guides or other engine wear, and is there a fix?

Clean out the suction side of the CCV system. That would be the small line at the rear of the valve cover that connects to the intake manifold.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Anyone know about the low idle?
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:13 AM   #5
jeepnphreak
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
What is a reasonable price for an installation of a 3" suspension lift?
Useally for suspension $150 per inch is average. so for a 3 inch lift expect to pay some where in the 300-500 dollar range. Google xj lifts lots will come back. jeepnoutfitters and quadratec are a great place to start looking. 3 inch is the magic number for xjs and SYE. some need one some do not. my 89' was fine with 3" and no SYE or t-case drop. install the lift and see if there are any vibrations. a 1 inch t-case drop may work well for you.

Quote:
I am getting oil on my air filter.
http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=257985

Quote:
crank it cold, the oil pressure is around 40 psi. Warm, around 20. This can't be good....
get a mechnical oil pressuse guage and test the pressure your guarge may be off.

Quote:
Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Fuel Filter, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, [all the o-rings on the fuel rail, injectors, and fuel lines], spark plugs and wires, and the thermostat.
cap, rotor and distrebuter, coil?

[/QUOTE]

94 yj: stock everything and 4 angry squarrels under the hood.
jeepnphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #6
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Hello everyone. Any help would be appreciated, and I tried making this easier to read by spacing it out.

I bought an 89 Limited for $800 last fall. It has 210,xxx. 4.0 4X4

First of all, the suspension is shot. The front coils have those pos things that make it taller. The rear leafs are bowing the wrong direction. (Yes, upward) What is a reasonable price for an installation of a 3" suspension lift?

There are tons of lifts out there, it is just a matter of personal preference; and no you do not need any SYE or T-case drop at that height

This is completely normal

The transmission shifts strangely, like it can't decide what gear it wants to be in. Does the trans switch on the dash have anything to do with this, or possibly could the bands in the transmission need adjusting? Planning on changing the filter next week to see if it helps.

I would start with changing the fluid and the filter in the transamission (and the transfer case while you are under there)

When I crank it cold, the oil pressure is around 40 psi. Warm, around 20. This can't be good....

No that isn't good, but it can be caused by a few things, does the pressure come back up under normal driving?

Lastly, my engine idles around 500 rpm when warm. When cold, it idles a little higher. I have never heard of any vehicle idling that low, and from what I have gathered, it should idle around 800 rpm. I have replaced:

pull the throttle body off and clean it

The engine doesn't smoke, nor does it drink oil. Thanks again guys.

Here are a few things to start with.
JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:35 AM   #7
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM1 View Post

No that isn't good, but it can be caused by a few things, does the pressure come back up under normal driving?
Yes, idling 20 psi, cruising around say 50 mph, 35-40 psi. No relevance to the oil coming from the valve cover?
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:43 AM   #8
JTM1
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Under normal driving the pressure should be around 60psi. I would do a compression test on each cyclinder.
JTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #9
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Work in progress. Will pull coil, dist. cap and rotor when I change the trans fluid and filter, and the brake caliper that just locked up.

Quote:
get a mechnical oil pressuse guage and test the pressure your guarge may be off.
Lord please let it be the gauge.
Unread 08-13-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
That1guy
2007 WK 

It's sad that people will replace 500 dollars worth of stuff thinking they have a overheating problem and it turn out their gauge was off.
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #11
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the oil pressure on the 91 that i have was 40 driving and 20 idle, i changed the oil and filter and it went up to 45-50 driving and 30-40 idle, i would say change the oil firs,t the stuff that cam e out of mine was soooooooooooo black and nasty
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
dieselkiller
1990 XJ Cherokee 

ive got a 90 limited. same with me in regards to the idle and oil pressure. yes and oil change will raise it but over a few hundred miles you will see it return to what it is now. i believe, from what ive read, warm operatiing pressure is 13psi minimum. clean everything on the throttlebody and replace and old cracked vac lines with new rubber ones. most likely many are plugged with oil and gunk. be careful with the tranny service. if it wasnt regularly done you may cause more slippage by drianing the stuff that is making it "work" now. if you do that be sure to get lucas additives, for everything. in the oil, tranny, fuel and powersteering. i have used this stuff for years in all my cars and i have 293k on my 90 and still going STRONG. even passes emissions tests here in austin better than new cars. the guy i take it to is always in shock and even shows me print outs from cars that are less than 2yrs old.
dieselkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 09:26 AM   #13
BreadnButter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the help guys. Anyone know about the driver's vent window? I don't plan on charging my A/C until next year since fall is just around the corner.

I've just about figured out the hole in the plastic on the headliner was where the keyless entry receiver sat, since it was a limited model.

By the way, I think my oil pan gasket needs replacing judging from what I saw under the vehicle today. And it looks like you have to unbolt the engine mounts to change it.....I have an engine hoist at my disposal. Will I need it?
Unread 08-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #14
justanotherjpr

I wouldn't really worry about 20PSI idling and 35-40psi cruising with 210,000 miles on a motor.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Donerstude
1989 XJ Cherokee 

for the drivers vent window I would go to a Junk Yard and replace the whole thing it is easier than trying to fix it. here are a couple of writeups on it, in the naxja article you can see the spring that creates the tension to hold the window in place.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...hlight=windows

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost....5&postcount=69
Black Jeep Society #276
89 XJ Cherokee 4x4
95 ZJ Grand Cherokee 2x4
Donerstude is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.