Manual trans swap to auto - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Manual trans swap to auto

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM   #1
jimk403
Age and experience
2009 JK Wrangler 

Manual trans swap to auto

There are plenty of threads on swapping an auto to manual, but I want to do the opposite.
Will the AW4 in my '88 swap into my '90?
Obviously it will fit, but I'm not totally sure what all needs changed over.
I'm thinking everything from the flex plate back, shifter and linkages, probably even the np242.
Is the wiring in place to run an auto in an XJ that came with a manual?
Will the computer need swapped? I think the '88 trans has it's own computer but not sure where it's located.
I like the 5speed, but my wife hates me for buying it, and since I have a whole spare XJ just figured I'd give it a try.

Unread 03-02-2014, 08:12 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

This thread:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1053970

My experience...No, all the wiring is NOT there and it was a pain in the arse...until I just pulled the entire harness (engine side) from a donor. The computer doesn't need to swap (especially if it's Renix to Renix). The TCU will not be there in the 5 speed Jeep, but will in the Auto Jeep...it's located behind the passenger kick panel (knee board ) under the dash.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.