Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

manual to auto

450 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  compfreak530 
#1 ·
if this has already been asked sorry,,anyone familiar with what all needs to be done,,changing 5sp. to auto,,i know trans,,shifter,linkage,possibly crossmember,d-shaft,,1996 cherokee

#2 ·
is this a two wheel or four wheel drive xj? if its 2wd then it wont be that hard but will involve replacing the pcm and or adding a transmission control unit. i am unsure if the 96 combined the two or if there still separate modules. then changing the whole center console to add the shift select lever. then if it is four wheel drive you will need to probly change the wiring harness. tho i belive there are already connectors for this as an addon option. you will also need to either change or add the wiring harness for the transmission as it is computer controled. in the end it may take a few bucks to do or a good doner. if it envolves the pcm replacement it may need to be either changed or re flashed at the dealer. i am unsure about the 96 model.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.