Main eye/Leaf eye Bushings Help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Main eye/Leaf eye Bushings Help!

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 03-04-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
mxboarder17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Main eye/Leaf eye Bushings Help!

So I bought some new leafs for my Jeep and I also bought QT main eye and leaf eye bushings. Has anyone ever put these in before? They look like they will fit by using a rubber mallet but thought it would be smart to ask before I broke anything.

Unread 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Odds are that some lube and a large bench vice or small press would do the job way faster.

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:07 PM   #3
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

I did some the other day and took a small pry bar, and stuck it in the eye opening of the spring pack...from there, I took a c-clamp and clamped the pry bar down tight against the spring creating a bigger gap between the eye & the spring.

I then took some dawn dish soap, and used a rubber mallet...and whack, went right in.
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Jeepaddict
1995 XJ Cherokee 

As mentioned above, Dish soap works good. Some people make a press out of threaded rod & washers and stuff.....its your opportunity to be creative.
Jeepaddict is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Put the bushings in the freezer overnight and then tap them in with a block of wood.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
mxboarder17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
Put the bushings in the freezer overnight and then tap them in with a block of wood.
That sounds like the easiest way to do it but I would be afraid of it cracking because there is (metal?) around the actual rubber bushing. Do I need to worry am am I just stupid lol?
Unread 03-04-2010, 11:31 PM   #7
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Don't worry about cracking it. Those things are very durable. We actually broke a vice trying to put my bushings in on my QT leafs, before doing it the pry bar way.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:22 AM   #8
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The metal is what needs to freeze, this will cause it to shrink slightly and make them go in easier. That is how I did mine and they went in fairly easy with a piece of 4x4 post and a heavy hammer.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #9
bayhunter
1999 XJ Cherokee 

bushings

Can you install new rear leaf bushings w/ out taking out the whole spring?
bayhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
mxboarder17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be putting them in tomorrow.
Unread 03-05-2010, 02:34 PM   #11
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayhunter View Post
Can you install new rear leaf bushings w/ out taking out the whole spring?
Nope, you have to remove the leafspring bolts and lower the springs out of the jeep to install new bushings.
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #12
Jeepaddict
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Come to think of it.....my new leafs always come with bushings. wtf?
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Jeepaddict
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry, its been a long day. I buy full leaf packs. Up hear you don't re-use the main....yer lucky yer main don't break before they sag too far.

My sisters XJ had one main break. She says, "how come the jeep wants to turn sideways when it hits a pothole?...."
Unread 03-05-2010, 08:45 PM   #14
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Here's another option. Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and pickup a few things. A section of 1/2" threaded rod, some 1/2" bolts and washers, and two floor mounts for pipe (I think I found them in the plumbing area). Basically anything that is wider than the bushing, has a hole in it, and is flat will work. Here's my receipt....You may already have some of this stuff laying around in your garage.

Heres what it should look like assembled.

Place the bushing up against the spring, run the threaded rod through the bushing and spring, and re-assemble the makeshift press. Hand tighten the bolts until the side plates meet the bushing. Make sure the bushing is sitting evenly in the spring. You may want to grease the outside of the bushing to help smooth it through the spring. You should get something like this.

Go ahead and slowly tighten the bolts. It will compress the plates and press the bushing in. Make sure it's going in evenly.

Eventualy the bushing will make contact with the outside plate. At this point, you will need to remove the makeshift press from the spring.

Now grab yourself a dead blow hammer and tap the bushing lightly until it sits evenly in the spring. Grab the next spring and repeat.
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #15
mxboarder17
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar4130 View Post
Here's another option. Go to your local Lowes or Home Depot and pickup a few things. A section of 1/2" threaded rod, some 1/2" bolts and washers, and two floor mounts for pipe (I think I found them in the plumbing area). Basically anything that is wider than the bushing, has a hole in it, and is flat will work. Here's my receipt....You may already have some of this stuff laying around in your garage.

Heres what it should look like assembled.

Place the bushing up against the spring, run the threaded rod through the bushing and spring, and re-assemble the makeshift press. Hand tighten the bolts until the side plates meet the bushing. Make sure the bushing is sitting evenly in the spring. You may want to grease the outside of the bushing to help smooth it through the spring. You should get something like this.

Go ahead and slowly tighten the bolts. It will compress the plates and press the bushing in. Make sure it's going in evenly.

Eventualy the bushing will make contact with the outside plate. At this point, you will need to remove the makeshift press from the spring.

Now grab yourself a dead blow hammer and tap the bushing lightly until it sits evenly in the spring. Grab the next spring and repeat.
I'm probably going to have to do this because my shackle end bushings are being a pain in the a$$ to put in!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.