Lucas oil stop leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lucas oil stop leak?

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 06-21-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Lucas oil stop leak?

I have a small leak on my front diff seal, passenger side. Would it be OK to use the Lucas engine oil stop leak in the front diff? Lucas says it will work and has worked. Detroit Tru Trac diff in the front. How much could it hurt to try? I will have to pull it all down for the leak and replace all but pinion seal. If it works it would be a great way to cheat my way out of a lot of work.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 01:21 AM   #2
Eman

lucas is some pretty good stuff, if it said on the bottle that it would work as axle sealant i would give it a try.
but if i heard it from so and so i wouldn't ^.^
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #3
xjay1999
2007 JK Wrangler 

Lucas stop leak

I can tell you from experience lucas does have great products but the stop leak is not one of them.I have a dodge neon as a DD,with 2.0 4cyl. and it had a leaking rear main for about 25k and I had run the oil stabilizer in it and that keep it going.I decided to try the stop leak and that was a big mistake!I put it in and drove to work 80 mile round trip, oil was pouring out of it! Lost 2 quarts in 40 miles and another 2 on the way home.So I done an oil change and went back to the 30 wt. oil and Lucas stabilizer.Back to about a quart every 1000k.Had seal replaced and all is good now.Moral of this is, just replace the seal as soon as you can.Their stop leak didn't work for me and its the only thing they make that I don't like.
2011Ram 2Dr. OutDoorsman Deep Water Blue 4x4
xjay1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Carl48
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You may want to try Lucas Oil Stabilizer. It will probably slow down or even stop your small leak. Lucas says it can be used in 50 to 100% mix in a diff.
Carl48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Highway 4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

The advice I got is from the Lucas oil tech department guy. The oil stop leak is thick like the stabilizer and there is no oil preasure on that seal. I would never take advice from just any guy said so, like here;-). I will probably give it a try and report back.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.