LSD Differential for 2WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > LSD Differential for 2WD

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 07-14-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

LSD Differential for 2WD

2001 2WD AW4 - Dana 35 rear
2.5 OME lift
Jeeps at the shop and I have a hunch they're gonna want to replace the carrier bearings. Is this a $$ replacement? I'm pretty sure it is and wonder if it's time to put in a limited slip differential while they're in there. This is my DD and I drive about 100 miles a day for work at mostly high speeds. I don't do any serious off-road just camping and blasting around in the desert and some medians from time to time. I'm pretty happy with it's capability as it is but more is always better Would my driving so much at high speeds (average 80) with a LSD wear any faster than just replacing with stock? If not any recommendations from the gallery?
Thanks!

Tess is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

What is your budget ? A stock clutch type Limited Slip will last about 60-80,000 before it needs a simple rebuild. About $100 for the LSD, plus fresh bearings, and install labor to re-setup the ring and pinion. A True-Trac mechanical Limited Slip will cost more about $400, plus bearings, and R&P install labor, but it will last forever.

I would suggest installing a used Chrysler 8.25 rear axle and a Lock Right or Aussie style Lunch Box Locker. You can install both in your driveway with simple hand tools and save the cost of fresh bearings and the $3-600 R&P install labor.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #3
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

where are you getting the lsd from, If buying a new lsd, it is prob. going to be cheaper to just buy a lunch box locker such as a aussie locker or a tru-track. If you are going to pull one from the junk yard you take a chance of it being shot/bad clutches ?

Just my .02

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #4
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So a locker would be a better choice? I was just looking at - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...rtrax-1065294/ its a 8.25 with a powertrax locker. Is the D35-8.25 swap a big deal? I'm pretty handy but if I can't bust it out in a weekend, I'm stuck with a mechanic that can get me back on the road. C-17... is that $3,000 you mentioned?!?! My last Jeep needed a new rear end and I think that was about $1,600, so double the cost to add a locker? Anyhow, I am prepared for another $1,600 hit if I have to but wanted to know what best to do... I want to keep this Jeep!!!
Unread 07-14-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A Locker provides better traction than a Limited Slip. Lockers also cost a bit more and if you need to re-set the R&P labor gets expensive. Lockers also are a little noisy and can have some very slight behaviors when you drive. Lots of people have lockers in their daily drivers, I have 2, so they aren't a big deal. Which is better depnds on what you want for your Jeep.

I got a used Chry 8.25 to replace my D35 for $100 and a No-Slip. I installed both in my driveway in a few hours. You may want to find a drive shaft for a Chry 8.25. it is about 1" different in length than a D35 drive shaft.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Tess
2001 XJ Cherokee 

So the 8.25 should be a direct fit except the DS and U bolts? So the link I posted isn't a bad deal given the locker he's using is about $400? Or this one with an Aussie? http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...cover-1015448/
So I'll see what my mechanic comes back at me with. I just don't want to spend alot of $ to rebuild a stock D35. I'd rather spend the $ on something better, and looks to me if I go this route I might save a bunch
Unread 07-14-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Have you looked at any junk yards ? Here at the local pick-n-pull any rear end is 79.95 and you can get an aussie for around 330.00 from torque masters. just a thought . Not sure where you are , but both those links on axels were pick up only, one was in MO. and the other in NJ

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.