Lower radiator support bracket. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lower radiator support bracket.

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 03-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
JYPS

Lower radiator support bracket.

I am working on a 97 Cherokee Sport. It was hit on the left fender between the headlight and the steer tire. The radiator and transmission cooler are offset and bent. So is the metal bracket/ piece they sit on. Can the metal piece they sit on be unbolted off and replaced, or does it have to be cut off and rewelded in place.

Thanks Tommy Davis

Last edited by JYPS; 03-17-2012 at 03:38 PM..
JYPS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have any pictures of the metal piece ?

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

The center piece where the rubber boots / radiator posts go?

IIRC (just had my rad out today) its welded in. Doesnt mean you couldnt go out to the junk yard, drill some spot welds and get a new one.
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
JYPS

I do have pics, do not know how to post them on here. If you can guide me thru it, I can get them on.
Unread 03-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
JYPS

Azzy, you are describing the bracket I am talking about.
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #6
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The dog thinks hes talking about the crossmember ...

Replacable yes ... but you need to be careful everything stays in alignment - while doing the work.

If you've had a bingle in the front corner ... you may find things are already out of square a bit.

Carves is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
JYPS

The dog does know. That is it. Now, what would be the easiest way to get it off. I do not have a welder, just a hacksaw. Also, can it be drilled into to take bolts instead of welding it back on. I have limited tools and resources here at my house.
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You will have to drill, cut and grind metal to remove the cross member. You can temporarily bolt in the replacement for alignment and to drive slowly to whomever is going to weld it. The repairs must be welded. A trailer or tow dolly is probably a better idea than driving more than a mile or so. There are holes in the frame rails and the cross member that you use to line up the parts.

I replaced the cross member after this Cherokee tangled with a tree.

img_0015.jpg  

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 03-17-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Look at it this way---that part is more than just a bottom support for the radiator. It's the #1 crossmember for the "frame" of your vehicle, and ties the front of the frame "horns" together. In other words, it's structural.

The flanges are not really big enough to use bolts on, although if they were bigger, it could be bolted together. Since you either need to make the flanges bigger to use bolts or reattach like the factory did, both methods would require a welder.

In a nutshell, find a friend with a welder and tie it back together properly.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:18 PM   #10
JYPS

http://s1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh520/JYPS/

This is the only way I know how to post the pics of what I am talking about. I am taking the pics on my back, my feet sticking forward of the vehicle. Most of the damage is by the steering gearbox.

Any suggestions would be very helpful.

Tommy Davis
Unread 03-18-2012, 02:56 PM   #11
JYPS

CJ7-Tim:
Where can I buy a crossmember? I tried researching for one, and I keep coming up with the one around the transmission. I see in your picture, you have a new one.

Thanks Tommy
Unread 03-18-2012, 05:52 PM   #12
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Any Jeep Dealership should be able to order one. On-Line Jeep Dealerships offer a 30% discount off retail prices. See if your Dealership will match that.

Try - http://www.chryslerpartsdirect.com/

Jeep Part # 55174978 - BODY HARDWARE / RADIATOR SUPPORT / RADIATOR SUPPORT / Lower tie bar

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.