Lower Ball joint. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Lower Ball joint.

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Reply
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
nujeepguy
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 605
Lower Ball joint.

about 10 months ago I Changed the front axle u-joints and put anti-seize on all the hardware so if when i needed to get back at the axle nut,hub bolts etc. it would be a breeze. Well... I got a lower ball joint that needs to be replaced on the pass. side. I was wondering how hard they are to remove. do i need to remove the upper ball joint. i understand they are pressed in so are they f##% ers to get out? I am thinking of letting a mechanic do it in case they are absolutely seized in there. I do my own work usually but they do look like a job that i am not sure if i want to tackle. someone tell me if they are bad or easy. Any harder than the u-joints.?

nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 04:13 PM   #2
Sierra Drifter
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Ramon CA
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by nujeepguy View Post
about 10 months ago I Changed the front axle u-joints and put anti-seize on all the hardware so if when i needed to get back at the axle nut,hub bolts etc. it would be a breeze. Well... I got a lower ball joint that needs to be replaced on the pass. side. I was wondering how hard they are to remove. do i need to remove the upper ball joint. i understand they are pressed in so are they f##% ers to get out? I am thinking of letting a mechanic do it in case they are absolutely seized in there. I do my own work usually but they do look like a job that i am not sure if i want to tackle. someone tell me if they are bad or easy. Any harder than the u-joints.?
They are fairly easy to change, however there is a lot of work to get to them. That's why its so expensive to have it done at a shop. You have to remove the knuckle, rent or buy a ball joint hand press. It looks like a large C clamp and it pushes the ball joints in and/or out of the steering knuckle.

4-ball-joint.jpg

You will have to remove the upper ball joint so that you can change the lower one. The long threaded rod has to pass through the upper ball joint hole to press in the lower one.
__________________
2001 XJ RE 5.5 ED w/T&T Y-link longarm, 37" MTR's, D44/D60, ARB's, Rubicon Tcase, and all the usual junk.

Axle swaps & build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/rebuilding-front-dana-44-a-397243/
Sierra Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 05:10 AM   #3
nujeepguy
Registered User
1997 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 605
yeah, that's what I thought. I am not fond of having to hand over $$$$ to another person for something I can do myself. Just wondering if there is a full write up on the job. never had the knuckle off before. I bought a u-joint hand press which is the same thing as the tool in the photo but it doesn't have all the end pieces (removal adapters and receiver tubes)to fit over different size press outs. Do you think I should be able to rig something up with it?
nujeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Sierra Drifter
Registered User
2001 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: San Ramon CA
Posts: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by nujeepguy View Post
yeah, that's what I thought. I am not fond of having to hand over $$$$ to another person for something I can do myself. Just wondering if there is a full write up on the job. never had the knuckle off before. I bought a u-joint hand press which is the same thing as the tool in the photo but it doesn't have all the end pieces (removal adapters and receiver tubes)to fit over different size press outs. Do you think I should be able to rig something up with it?
This picture above is a Dana 44 knuckle, on the Dana 30 the ball joints press into the inner 'C' rather than the steering knuckle. The tool is the same, the process is very similar. I would rent the press from Autozone, I wouldn't try and 'rig' anything up.

Write ups here:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical...balljoints.htm

http://www.moabjeeper.com/articles/t...?articleID=222

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_...e/1888732.html
__________________
2001 XJ RE 5.5 ED w/T&T Y-link longarm, 37" MTR's, D44/D60, ARB's, Rubicon Tcase, and all the usual junk.

Axle swaps & build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397243
Sierra Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:13 PM   #5
HeepToJeep
Registered User
1982 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 1,611
The best place to purchase them is Rockauto.com, their Moog parts are 1/2 the price of everyone else and come with a lifetime warranty. Soaking them with penetrating oil for a few days prior makes removal a hell of a lot easier and if you aren't strapped for cash I'd definately suggest doing them all at the same time. A side note on loaner tools that require a deposit, do so with cash if at all possible....otherwise it takes up to ten business days to refund your credit or debit card.

Wm
HeepToJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 12:40 PM   #6
95_TSi_AWD
Registered User
1991 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: lancaster PA
Posts: 195
if you call around you can probably find a shop that will press the joints in and out for you if you bring the knuckle to them.

EDIT sorry never did xj joints i was just going off other trucks i've done. but this won't work for an xj

Last edited by 95_TSi_AWD; 02-18-2008 at 06:30 AM..
95_TSi_AWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #7
red_01_xj
Registered User
XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 608
yep you might as well do both upper and lower
__________________
2000 RED XJ
4.5" RE Super Flex, Mono Tubes, 31" BFG AT, WJ seats Front and rear, Boxed Rocker panels with Rails, Upcountry Junkyard Special, homemade front bumper, C4x4 rear bumper and swing out, low profile light bar, jks disconects, farmboy tail lights lebaron hood vents, teraflex sye, Dana 30 HP with factory 4.56 disco converted to solid shafts, with powertrax, Dana 44 with detriot true trac with 4.56 and ZJ disc brakes...and the best part is all of my major mods are used

Ebay items http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZred01xj
red_01_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2008, 06:43 PM   #8
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: San Tan Valley Arizona, AZ
Posts: 7,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95_TSi_AWD View Post
if you call around you can probably find a shop that will press the joints in and out for you if you bring the knuckle to them.
The ball joints are NOT in the knuckle. They are in the YOKE on the END of the axle housing.

Owing to this, to change ball joints, you HAVE to use the special tool ON THE CAR.
__________________
AZ-Jeff
1992 XJ -- stock (RIP)
2000 XJ -- lots of basic mods. Sold to fellow forum member. I miss it.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.