Low volts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Low volts

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 06-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
Chris27

Low volts

Voltage issue
My 95 grand Cherokee is having an issue with voltage. When I start it, volts are a little lower than normal. Still within operating range. The volts go back to normal when put in gear. When my jgc sits a bit, it cranks a bit more to start than normal. Can anyone help me with these issues. Thanks.
Chris

Chris27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

At that age, your alternator could be going. Most of the jeeps then had a wimpy little 96 amp unit, and if you have a lot of extra lights, gadgets or a sound system it can overstretch them. My XJ did something similar, it was having more trouble starting because the battery was never quite fully charged because of the low output, and the voltage would pick back up in gear because of the little bump in RPM that gave. I got a 126 amp out of a Dodge V8 from my local alternator shop and never had another problem. Cost me like 70 bucks and bolted on with only a LITTLE modification. (the bracket overlapped so I had to file a few millimeters off the new alternators little mounting arm)
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #3
Chris27

Thanks. I was driving my self crazy trying to figure it out. I have replaced alternator 2 times, with old ones from junk yard. Maybe time to buy rebuilt.
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
bluejunior
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Junkyard parts are risky. An alternator shop should be able to test it for you, so put in a couple calls before you spend the money again.
bluejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
LorenII
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Jeep has NEVER been known for accurate gauges. My XJ shows (on the dash) that I am only putting out 11-12 volts, when the scan tool shows 14.4+ volts. Unless you are having starting issues or the battery is draining, I would just rock right on along and not worry about it.

You can take your alternator in to most autoparts stores and they will check it for free for you.
Unread 06-05-2012, 04:45 AM   #6
LorenII
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Also, my XJ takes a few seconds to start too. It is the fuel pump building up pressure. Turn the key on, wait a second or so, then crank.... Should fire right up.
Unread 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
Chris27

Thanks everyone for your input. The alternator is fine had it checked. The only thing left is the issue of it not firing up right away. The fuel pump was replaced but it was used also. I tried turning the key and waiting but even when I did that it still took a few seconds before fired. Jeep runs great but I'm just a little concerned. When it's warm and shut off it fires up just fine. when it's been sitting for a while, it takes a few seconds to crank over.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.