low vacuum - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > low vacuum

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
88jeep2b

low vacuum

i have a 88 jeep cherokee 4.0. it kinda bounces between 13 to 14" of vacuum on a warm motor. ive search high and low for a vacuum leak and cant seem to find any. change out the intake gasket with no change. blocked off the egr. the compression seems to be good, 140 for a low and 150 for a high. does not seem to have a blocked exhaust. what could be causing this ?

88jeep2b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Did you use the vacuum gauge to check for restricted exhaust?

An index to over 25 write-ups can be found in Post #1.

Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips
My Jeep Technical Photos

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
88jeep2b

yes . open throttle it goes to about 0, close t blade it jumps to about 20 " then it jumps back to about 17" then moves slower to 13"
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Do it this way to check for clogged exhaust. I don't like seeing that it slowly goes down from 17 to 13.

CRUISER’S VACUUM TEST FOR EXHAUST RESTRICTION

Your vacuum gauge should come with an instruction booklet outlining the procedure. Hook the vacuum gauge up to a source on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading. Usually 17 to 21 inches of vacuum. Throttle the engine up to 2,000 to 2,500 RPM for 20 seconds or so and the vacuum reading should stabilize to the same reading you got at idle. Let the throttle snap shut. The vacuum reading should shoot up about 5 inches of vacuum higher for a second and then come quickly down to the original reading. If the vacuum reading stays high and comes down slowly with jerky needle movements, you have an exhaust restriction.

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
88jeep2b

ok this is what i have. 600 rpm = 13", 2000 rpm = 17", closed tb jumps to 20", moves steady back to 13". cut exhaust pipe off before the cat and no change. from what ive been reading its kinda leading to rings but the compression seem to be good. a low of 140 and a high of 150. can you still have good compression with worn rings.
Unread 02-21-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

http://www.classictruckshop.com/club...ts/vac/uum.htm

My Jeep Technical Photos

Unread 02-22-2013, 01:53 AM   #7
88jeep2b

i think ill do a leak down to check the rings. really dont want to pull the timing cover if i dont have too. thanks for all the help

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.