Low speed steering groan and resistance - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Low speed steering groan and resistance

Just had the power steering pump replaced in my 2000 as I was experiencing resistance and "hop" as the steering wheel re-centered itself along with resistance. The hop was fixed and wheel movement is fluid, but at speeds < 5 mph I still encounter a good deal of resistance in the wheel and a fairly loud groaning noise. Is my steering box bad? I feel like I would encounter steering problems at all speeds if this were the case. Maybe pump lines?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Just had the power steering pump replaced in my 2000 as I was experiencing resistance and "hop" as the steering wheel re-centered itself along with resistance. The hop was fixed and wheel movement is fluid, but at speeds < 5 mph I still encounter a good deal of resistance in the wheel and a fairly loud groaning noise. Is my steering box bad? I feel like I would encounter steering problems at all speeds if this were the case. Maybe pump lines?
have you checked balljoints...dry/seizing balljoints would add to the effort needed to turn the wheels.. axle shaft u joints may as well, but you'd notice hop or a jerk back on the steering..
post #3 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

mine is in the shop for a similar problem. They told me it was a $20 bearing. When I get more details, I will post it.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tag. If they went to autozone and got a pump, its probably a POS pump.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
...a fairly loud groaning noise. ?
A groaning noise would point more toward the PS pump, than the PS box.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

residentg: yes, please let me know. I have no idea what kind of pump was used, suspicious now.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
findaname

steering resistance - quick fix

Quote:
residentg: yes, please let me know. I have no idea what kind of pump was used, suspicious now.
I don't care if you conclude that I work for Lucas Oils. I don't, but I have very positive experience with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leaks.
Just follow the instructions on the bottle. One bottle is enough for an XJ. It fixed my problem in just five muinutes, literally.

Tags
centered , groan , noise , steering , steering box

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.