Low speed steering groan and resistance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Low speed steering groan and resistance

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-07-2012, 10:14 PM   #1
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Low speed steering groan and resistance

Just had the power steering pump replaced in my 2000 as I was experiencing resistance and "hop" as the steering wheel re-centered itself along with resistance. The hop was fixed and wheel movement is fluid, but at speeds < 5 mph I still encounter a good deal of resistance in the wheel and a fairly loud groaning noise. Is my steering box bad? I feel like I would encounter steering problems at all speeds if this were the case. Maybe pump lines?

nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
mj40
1989 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyaben View Post
Just had the power steering pump replaced in my 2000 as I was experiencing resistance and "hop" as the steering wheel re-centered itself along with resistance. The hop was fixed and wheel movement is fluid, but at speeds < 5 mph I still encounter a good deal of resistance in the wheel and a fairly loud groaning noise. Is my steering box bad? I feel like I would encounter steering problems at all speeds if this were the case. Maybe pump lines?
have you checked balljoints...dry/seizing balljoints would add to the effort needed to turn the wheels.. axle shaft u joints may as well, but you'd notice hop or a jerk back on the steering..
mj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
residentg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

mine is in the shop for a similar problem. They told me it was a $20 bearing. When I get more details, I will post it.
residentg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 11:48 PM   #4
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tag. If they went to autozone and got a pump, its probably a POS pump.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
...a fairly loud groaning noise. ?
A groaning noise would point more toward the PS pump, than the PS box.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #6
nyaben
2000 XJ Cherokee 

residentg: yes, please let me know. I have no idea what kind of pump was used, suspicious now.
nyaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
findaname

steering resistance - quick fix

Quote:
residentg: yes, please let me know. I have no idea what kind of pump was used, suspicious now.
I don't care if you conclude that I work for Lucas Oils. I don't, but I have very positive experience with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leaks.
Just follow the instructions on the bottle. One bottle is enough for an XJ. It fixed my problem in just five muinutes, literally.
findaname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
centered , groan , noise , steering , steering box

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.