Low Rear Suspension (new leaf springs?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Low Rear Suspension (new leaf springs?)

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 01-19-2008, 10:27 PM   #1
spudMI

Low Rear Suspension (new leaf springs?)

First, I just purchased a '98 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 6cyl. Auto. Limited, and I love it! Found these forums which I'm sure will be very helpful, looks like a ton of knowledge here.

I searched some but found some differing answers... anyways, my rear suspension seems to be low. It looks a little funny, but seems to ride fine still.

Option 1: I was considering adding an extra leaf to lift it up so it at least looks more normal again. Any potential problems with this? Also, how difficult would this be, do I need to bring it into our shop and do it there, or will tools in the backyard be enough?

Option 2: Replace the rear suspension. Everything I've found seems extremely expensive, but I'm not sure I know where to look. I do not want any lift kit (or very minimal if any), just looking for something pretty basic that is low cost.

Any thoughts on these options?

PS. I am low on $, so I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive fix, but without cutting corners on what is necessary.

spudMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #2
AlexsXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm in the same situation with our 91. The rear end looks a little low but still rides and drives fine.

Yes, you can add a leaf, that is what we are doing. We bought a full length AAL because others warned us that the short ones will be stiff and ride poorly. We bought a RE BB 2" lift with new shocks for about $300.

If you go with option two, you can get new HD leaf packs for $69 each at Quadratec.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

They raise the rear end up back to a little over stock height. That is the best way to go, especially if you're not lifting it right now.
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:31 AM   #3
rit.05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Just put the Quadratec HD springs on my 94. Huge improvement so far just in looks. I'm sure the ride will be much better. They do sit a bit higher than stock.

Quadratec customer service has been great.
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #4
88XJSport
1988 XJ Cherokee 

How long does it take for the HD packs to settle? Or dont they?
88XJSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 07:53 AM   #5
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Backyard tools are all you need.

I would suggest getting another set of junkyard cherokee leafs, take the main leaf off, cut off the bushing eyes and add it to your current leafs. That should be super cheap and effective.
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
MBJR9
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Has anyobdy just added spring helpers? I would assume those would raise it back up a little, plus they're alot cheaper than new springs from Quadratec.

The Daily Driver
2004 Ram 1500, 5.7L Hemi V8, 545RFE 5 Speed Auto, NP241, Chrysler 8.0/Chrysler 9.25, 10mpg
MBJR9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 09:34 AM   #7
spudMI

Alright, so if I go with the option 2 for the whole rear suspension is this what I need? Would I need anything else, and would the front be fine the way it is if I did this?

Heavy Duty Leaf Spring Assembly - $69.99 x2
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56010_11.htm

Shackle End Leaf Spring Bushing - $6.99 x2
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_06.htm

Main Eye Leaf Spring Bushing - $8.99 x2
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56001_05.htm

Rear Axle U-Bolt - $6.99 x4
http://www.quadratec.com/products/56009_06.htm

PB Blaster - $4.50
http://www.pbblaster.com/store/morei...m?Product_ID=1

Socket...

Total Cost: $204.4

I'll most likely do the labor myself... anyone know of good write ups for this or good places to find DIY info?

Last edited by spudMI; 01-20-2008 at 05:15 PM..
spudMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
AlexsXJ
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Some people like to reuse them, but I order new U bolts when I'm taking apart rear springs.
Unread 01-20-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
festerw
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You'll need new u-bolts, pb blaster, someone or something to press in the bushings, a helper is nice and IIRC a 22mm socket for the leaf bolts.

I threw in the socket because I did not have one that large in my arsenal.
Unread 01-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #10
spudMI

Updated above post... I'm guessing that the two new items are what you suggested
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM   #11
rit.05
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like what I just got from them. Save yourself the hassle and go straight to a mechanic or machine shop with a press and have them install the bushings.

Get 2 cans of PB from WM or wherever and start spraying today.

Grab a propane torch from WM or Lowes/HD.

Are you replacing the shocks?

Oh yeah...there are 2 u-bolts per leaf spring and 8 total nuts that you have to order seperately.
Unread 01-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #12
itasor
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rit.05
Just put the Quadratec HD springs on my 94. Huge improvement so far just in looks. I'm sure the ride will be much better. They do sit a bit higher than stock.

Quadratec customer service has been great.
Could you post a picture of how your stock XJ looks with the HD rear leafs?
itasor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 05:09 PM   #13
spudMI

Should I look into replacing the shocks as well? Is it necessary?

What if I just replaced the shocks and not the leaf springs, would that help much?
Unread 01-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #14
NUBOPOLY
1999 TJ Wrangler 

mine used to sag also all i did was buy a set of highjacker shocks for around 60 bucks at autozone. you can set them how high you want them by putting less or more air but its like a bike tire to much and it will pop. ive had them around a month and im satisfied.
NUBOPOLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2008, 10:34 PM   #15
danielhays_98xj
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBJR9
Has anyobdy just added spring helpers?
Yes, Actually if you will go back just a few pages you will find my post from where I had them installed about a week ago.

I went to Advance Auto Parts and picked up a set of the SHORT Add a leaf kit and then took it to my local mechanic and he installed them in about an hour.

With the kit and labor it cost a total of around $95.

Results with SHORT AAL:

*Rear end now back up to stock height or a little higher.
*Ride quality has greatly improved, I've read other people say that the SHORT AAL will make the ride stiff, well it does, but not as bad as you may think, I can barely tell a difference. But I can tell you this, the back end does take bumps and potholes in the roads a LOT better than it used to !!!

If I could've got the long aal kit I would have, but all they had was the short and I am NOT one bit dissatisfied.

Good LUCK!

[B]Black,2 door,Automatic,I6 4.0 242,235/75/R15 Eldorado ZTR Sport tires,15" Alloy Jeep Wheels/ 5 spoke,Flowmaster Super 40 exhaust,New catalytic converter,XM Satellite radio mounted on dash,Sony Xplod CD/Radio system,Sony Xplod Speakers in doors and Sony 6x9's in back,Sony bass speaker in cargo area,Viper Keyless entry system,Clear turn signals and markers,Altezza brake lights,Back up camera with 3.5 " LCD in rearview mirror,Glow gauges white interface while blue numbers @ night,Monroe senstrac shocks,Sylvania silverstar headlights

Future mods: Brush guard, lift ??[/B]
danielhays_98xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.