Low oil pressure at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Low oil pressure at idle

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-13-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
StraightToPlaid

Low oil pressure at idle

Ok, I just bought this jeep today and noticed this...

'97 Cherokee, 4.0L engine.

At idle the oil pressure will drop to 10 psi. I don't think my old '93 ever had it get that low. It looks like the sending unit had leaked in the past (old oil grunge from the sending unit down) and was replaced, the replacement doesn't look OEM though. At anything besides idle my oil pressure seems normal, about 40 psi with hot oil on the freeway.

I don't notice any noises when it's at idle, no valvetrain noise or anything like that.

Does this just sound like a flaky cheap sending unit or should I check to see if the oil pump is going out on me?

StraightToPlaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The minimum 4.0 oil pressure specification is 10-13 psi, hot, at idle (750 rpm) with 10w-30 grade oil. The oil pressure gauge is not known to be very accurate.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:17 PM   #3
cowboy63b
1997 ZJ 

i am having the same problem with my 5.2 in my Grand Cherokee, sounds like a el cheapo was stuck in instead of oe, i just put a new sending unit in mine and it quit doing that, start with the cheap stuff first before you dive in to the engine, if that doesn't work have a qualified mechanic to do a oil pressure check, then go from there...
cowboy63b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
Web Wheeler

1990 XJ Cherokee 

x2. just replace the sender and you will know your readings will be somewhat accurate. and 10 isnt out of the ordinary anyway. it should look like this:

http://thumbs300.1aauto.com/OSU/1AOSU00001.jpg

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
StraightToPlaid

Hmm, if the minimum is 10 it sounds like I'm in the clear even if it is accurate. It pops right up when I give it any gas at all so I'm not too worried. That cheap sender may not read well at low pressures.

I'll watch it carefully but it sounds like I may be in the clear until I can get a new sender. Looks like Rock Auto has them relatively cheap.
Unread 09-13-2008, 03:47 PM   #6
lathan888
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I think you are fine. You could alway switch to a manual guage since you plan on replacing the sender...that way you will know for sure what pressure is.
Owner of a 1 owner 93 XJ county trim, 4.0, AT, 8.25 rear and 3.5 gears. It has goodies like pw/pl, cc, tilt, cd changer, keyless entry, rear wiper and defrost...overall a nice old jeep, my fifth owning previous wanglers and commander
[/COLOR] also own/restored a 1972 Pontiac Lemans GT originally owned by my grandmom....39k original miles.
my 72 pontiac musclecar
lathan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
StraightToPlaid

A friend's father is a mechanic at a jeep dealership, apparently he's been sitting around twiddling his thumbs because no new cars being sold means no warranty work. He said he'd hook it up to a manual gauge and check it out.
Unread 09-13-2008, 06:29 PM   #8
Gary2
2005 TJ Wrangler 

My 97 is about the same and it has 196,000 miles so I guess it won't be much of a problem plus I use mobil 1 to help
Unread 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mechanical oil pressure gauge is the best way to know for sure. Only takes a few minutes to check. Yes, the oil pressure sending unit (aka: oil switch in some parts stores) is a common failure. I've had best luck with replacement units directly from Jeep; seems to provide the best accuracy when mated with the factory gauge. Good Luck!

Last edited by tjwalker; 09-14-2008 at 04:50 PM..
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM   #10
StraightToPlaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjwalker View Post
Manual oil pressure gauge is the best way to know for sure. Only takes a few minutes to check. Yes, the oil pressure sending unit (aka: oil switch in some parts stores) is a common failure. I've had best luck with replacement units directly from Jeep; seems to provide the best accuracy when mated with the factory gauge. Good Luck!
Would autozone lend those?
Unread 09-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #11
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

They might; mechanical oil pressure gauge is a pretty common tool. Somebody should have one you can rent.
Unread 09-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
hevybluzer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just a note on mechanical gages:

You get what you pay for. I tried a cheapy unit ($13.00) and was alarmed when it read 5 psi at idle. I thought I was in for a main bearing job. A buddy of mine had a couple "brand name" high buck units and we threw them on to double check. The high buck gages showed a 15 psi idle. The guy who owns them is a stickler about his vehicles (semi-pro drag racer) and has his gages calibrated once a year, so they are good..................anyway, If I had believed the cheapo I would have been up to my ankles in a rebuild.........and I ditched the cheapo and got a 50 buck unit from Summit....Oh...I had just replaced the oil pump when this all went down........
hevybluzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2008, 04:21 PM   #13
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevybluzer View Post
Just a note on mechanical gages:

You get what you pay for.
Very good point! I always have purchased high quality tools, especially test equipment. You absolutely do get what you pay for. Lots of junk out there; buyer beware. Most rental equipment is "normally" pretty good quality stuff but just keep in mind that it doesn't generally get checked that closely or calibrated in-between uses
Unread 09-16-2008, 07:50 PM   #14
StraightToPlaid

I just got off the phone with the friend who's father is a jeep dealer mechanic. Apparently the factory spec allows the oil to go all the way down to 7 psi before it considers it a problem. I'm on the high side of 10 on the gauge so I'm fine.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.