Low compression in one cylinder. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Low compression in one cylinder.

I am trying to get my new to me 97 Cherokee on the road. I had a friend of mine at a shop replace all the fluids, do a tune up, and generally go through the vehicle. The engine was not idling very smooth, so he started check things out. He ran a compression check and found three cylinders at 130psi and one at 90psi. He did not do a wet compression test. I will do this once I get it home.

This engine only has 126K on it, so I am surprised at the numbers. If it turns out it is caused a bad valve, I will pull the head and have it fixed. However, I think the low compression could be from sticking rings. The rig has been parked for over a year and only started a half dozen times. If it is due to sticking rings, what would y'all suggest to get them to break free? Seafoam? Wide open throttle runs?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 02:30 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pull the spark plugs and spray some PB Blaster, Deep Creep, or similar penetrating oil into the cylinder. Use the little red tube and get it all over. With the plugs still out, turn over the engine a few times. Wait for a while and give the spray a chance to work.

The 4.0 L can be prone to carbon build up on the valves if not driven wide open throttle now and then, so consider an oil additive to clean the top end, and then change the oil.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 02:47 PM
colt933
2001 XJ Cherokee 

+1

PB blaster, and letting it sit for a couple of days, restored compression in one cylinder from 80psi back to 150psi - same as the other 5 cylinders.

But I consider myself lucky.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Old Man Emu 3" lift coils and leafs w/AAL
Old Man Emu Nitro Chargers front and back
Discos
AA SYE with front drive shaft
Stock Aluminum 5-spoke 15" wheels

post #4 of 7 Old 04-08-2009, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sure won't hurt to try the PB Blaster. Unfortunately my luck always seems to deal me low compression engines. But, this thing has been sitting for a long time. Any suggestions on what to use to clean the top end?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Kraemer

give two cans of sea foam a try for the top end. do a search for the most common proceedure. its kind of the reason jeep guys swear by sea foam...

00' XJ
81' Yota
a garage full of parts...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-22-2009, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Lone Star XJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well, I put PB Blaster in all they cylinders on Sunday. I let it sit until today when I could finish putting new plugs, cap, rotor and wires in. She fired up and still seemed a little rough. I let it warm up then ran 1/3 pint of Sea Foam through the brake boostger vacume hose. Let it sit five or ten minutes and fired it up. There was very little smoke at all. I then took it out and ran it hard for fifteen minutes or so. After the first few hard take offs, the engine seemed to smooth out.

I brought it home and checked compression on number one. It was up from 90 to 120! I checked a couple of the other cylinders and they were at 150 like my buddy had found. Anyway, I pulled the negative battery cable to clear the code and will see if the check engine light will stay out. Looks like I am on the right track. Thanks CJ7 and colt.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-28-2010, 09:15 AM
mweber01
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Just read this post. I have a 91 wrangler with low compression in #2. #s 1, 3, and 4 read 135 on the nose, and #2 is at only 100. Gonna try this method and see if i can clean some of the gunk out. It has been sitting for a while too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.