Loud vibration/noise over 65MPH - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Loud vibration/noise over 65MPH

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-15-2013, 02:10 PM   #1
chris31419

Loud vibration/noise over 65MPH

Hi Everyone,

First of all, I'm new to this forum and also just bought my first Jeep. It's a 96 Cherokee Country with 75K miles. It has the 4.0 engine.
I have this loud vibration/humming noise over 65MPH and it gets louder the faster I go. I can't pinpoint exactly where the noise is coming from. I do know the previous owner replaced the U-Joint thinking that was the problem but that didn't fix it.
I took it to a transmission shop and they thought it could be the drive-shaft because they said the yolk was worn. They referred me to a place that specializes in Power-train but they wanted $100 to take out the drive-shaft and re-align it. I asked if this would fix my problem and was told they couldn't tell me anything until they had the drive-shaft out.
I've also taken it to a tire place who said it could be a hub assembly causing the noise. Another mechanic told me over the phone that it could be the Goodyear off road tires making the noise.

I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but have never messed with a drive-shaft. Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing the noise? I hate to spend $100 just to diagnose the problem.

chris31419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

if it is stock you could always try a junkyard driveshaft to see if that solves the problem. or you can drive slower
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Glad you are on the forum. Sounds like you have a real Georgia peach, a 96
with 75k miles. It is a good idea to fill out your profile as best you can and you'll
get better answers on the forum. I never did anything with my vehicles until I got a
Jeep and reading the comments on the forums has been a big help.

Since you just bought the Jeep, if you are not completely sure sure of the maintenance
history, you should change the fluids (engine oil/filter, transmission fluid/filter, front and
rear differential oil, radiator - 50-50mix antifreeze/water). Grease any u-joints that are
greaseable. Do these things yourself, you'll get to know your Jeep and you'll save a lot of
money.

As for the noise you are hearing, it is amazing to me that you don't have noises up to
65 mph. So there is probably nothing badly wrong with your Jeep. It may be a driveshaft
u-joint (there are three in the front, two in the back). But get under there and get to
know your vehicle.

With its solid axles front and back, it can't handle high-speed situations that sports sedans
can, so let them pass you , (ditto Nick) but it will do great for what its designed, a mix
of on/off-road.
RLE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 05:59 PM   #4
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

How bad is the vibration?
Assuming it's at stock height, have the tires re-balanced AND rotated. Maybe look into "road force" balancing. What tires ARE they anyway?
Also look for damage to the drive shafts (dings, scrapes, *missing weights*).
If you are so inclined, you could try removing one drive shaft to see if it affects the symptom. When removing the rear, you'll need to drive in 4hi.
You may or may not need to do something to prevent leakage from the transfer case output when doing this.
$100 is about normal to rebuild and/or re-balance a shaft...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
chris31419

I'll get back on here tomorrow on what tires it has. I upload a few pics of it.
jeep.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep5.jpg

Last edited by chris31419; 11-13-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
chris31419

I forgot to add that I didn't pay a dime for this Jeep. I had a 94 Nissan Sentra with 93K miles that I was selling for $2500 on Craigslist and the owner contacted me asking if I was interested in trading because he delivered pizza's and wanted something better on gas so after driving the Jeep for an hour and looking it over, we traded even.
Unread 10-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Damn...... I think I know the source of the noise. Its the horseshoe you got stuck somewhere in the chassis.
Unread 10-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #8
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31419
I don't even know if I would describe it as a vibration. Personally, it sounds like a loud roaring or humming noise coming from I have no idea where. LOL
The Jeep seems to be in really good shape but does have a rebuild title. Supposedly it was wrecked in the side at one point (don't know when) but the date code on the engine matches within 1 month of the date code on the inside door so I really believe it's the original engine.
It even has the original spark plugs and Mopar wires. I might get a carfax at some point.

Right now it is at the dealer because there was 2 recalls that was never repaired. 1 is for the rotors being replaced due to road salt (It is originally from Indiana) but the dealer is giving me a hard time saying that my brake calipers are rusty and the pads are almost metal to metal and they are making me wait until I have them replaced before installing my rotors under the recall. They wanted $170 in labor if I supplied the parts which I thought was a bit expensive when I can do it myself for $0 labor.
There is also a catalytic convertor recall that was never done but the dealer is telling me I have an aftermarket converter. I have no idea if he is lying or not. This dealer is an *** but they are the only Jeep dealer in Savannah.

Anyways, so is there any thoughts on how I can go about isolating this noise other than removing the driveshaft? I still am not sure if that's what is even causing it.
I'll get back on here tomorrow on what tires it has. I upload a few pics of it.
The salvaged title definitely could play a roll... It's a unibody vehicle so if the side impact was violent enough it could have tweaked it enough to mess with a lot of the geometry... Even a framed vehicle is capable of some funny behavior from a side impact...

My father inlaw got ahold of a Volvo station wagon that had been hit on the side... Was able to replace the door and painted it and no one could tell it had been hit but it never drove right. Following behind it you could tell right off the bat it was crabbing pretty bad
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
chris31419

I found a receipt where the previous owner had a front end alignment done in July and the tires were also rotated and balanced.
So my question is how do I determine where this noise is specifically coming from?
Unread 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #10
infob
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris31419
I found a receipt where the previous owner had a front end alignment done in July and the tires were also rotated and balanced.
So my question is how do I determine where this noise is specifically coming from?
I had an odd grinding noise on my xj that I couldn't locate... Had my wife crawl around the inside listening while I drove she was able to determine it was the rear drum after a few miles... Could give that a shot to see if someone can at least get you in the neighborhood
infob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #11
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You say it is a loud roaring or humming noise, louder at high speeds. Noises are
hard to describe in words.

When you hear the noise, does the noise change if you turn the steering wheel slightly
left or right? If so, it may be a bad front wheel bearing/hub like one of the places
you went to said.

If it doesn't change when veering the steering wheel, it could be the singing of
the AT tires. They make a lot more noise than you were used to with your Sentra.

If the roaring noise is kind of a waaaa waaaa waaaa repetitive sound, that is likely
a driveshaft u-joint somewhere.

If the noise has bit of a rumble to it, check the rear diff pinion. One place you
took it to said the (pinion) yoke was worn. I'm not sure I know what a "worn"
yoke is, but is there some play in the pinion yoke? A worn inner or outer pinion
bearing or a misaligned pinion will make noise in proportion to the speed of the
vehicle. (Knowing more about the Jeep's repair history could help - has the rear
diff been repaired sometime?)

Is there a little oil leaking around the yoke's seal? If this hasn't been done yet, pull
the rubber plug off the fill hole (don't use a screwdriver, you can tear the plug),
put your finger in there and make sure the oil is up to the level of the hole.
If it isn't full, the diff gears will make noise according to speed.

Check the front diff and pinion yoke, too. By the way, does it run ok in 4Hi?
Try that on dirt or gravel at low speeds. Don't use 4Hi on dry pavement if
you have the Command-Trac (part-time NP231) transfer case.
Unread 10-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #12
chris31419

Thanks RLE! I'll post back on what I find out because I'm going to have to drive it again so I can get more details on this noise.
While I'm doing the brakes tomorrow I'll also check the rear differential and pinion. The transmission shop put fluid in my transfer case when they were looking for the source of the noise.

As far as the tires, they are Goodyear Wrangler Radial. Could that be causing the noise I'm hearing? I've never owned a Jeep so this is all new to me.

Last edited by chris31419; 10-16-2013 at 04:09 PM..
Unread 10-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check the diffs. Mine decided one day to empty somehow (seriously... no leaks) and cause a heck of a roar from the front end.
Unread 10-17-2013, 04:24 PM   #14
RLE

1998 XJ Cherokee 

A noise that you can't pinpoint could be the tires, since their noise comes from
all angles. Looks like you have some good tread, so those will make some noise.
Do check out the diffs, pinions, etc though.

If you know any other Jeep or 4x4 owners, have them listen to it. There is also a
JeepForum for your state. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f332/
Unread 10-17-2013, 05:02 PM   #15
chris31419

This is going to sound like such a newbie question but I've only changed differential fluid once before and that was 20 years ago on a Ford Ranger when I was a teenager so once I take the cap out of the differential, how do I know if I need to add any fluid?

Tags
humming noise , loud , vibration , vibration drive shaft

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.